Nijmegen....Prefered method of carrying weight

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Vaughany, Jan 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As the title suggests i'm looking for the prefered method of carrying for nijmegen. I've been told webbing with a 2kg weight in each utility pouch is good but i'm not a great fan of the rubbing.
    Has anyone got any ideas..........Standing by for someone to say "don't do it".

2. Put it on your back.

3. Fill your pouches with packs of Monster Munch, and chuck all your heavy kit on the jack wagon.

This is Dale completing it last year.

[​IMG]

4. She's my Squadron padre. With great embaressment, we designed those glasses.

5. decent backpack with a hip belt is the best way of carrying the weight
    although the bicycle orderly gets a better medal
    still bitter it was my bike "i'm really fit just can tab" :twisted:

6. As per my last thread I am still desperate for some admin guru to help me out with exactly where all the funding comes from for the Nijmegen.

It seems to be complicated at our unit.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssssssssseeeeeeeeee take pity on me and help me out!

Oh your question, I was told by a PTI that it is best to carry the weight, evenly distributed in a bergen.

7. Dales your squadron Padre? 8O No wonder your unit doesn't supply you with bergans or civvi AT rucksacks to carry your kit in, she blows the budget on communion wine.

8. 4 NAAFI carrier bgs,2.5 KG in each, 2 in each hand, if you can manage 3 or 4 in each hand it makes them even lighter

Then carry a Bergen for all your food water and souvenirs

9. Get some decent webbing by troopers or jay jays with a hippo pad on the inside, its a pricey option but itll be fairly evenly distributed and comfy

10. What he said.
    If you can get away without wearing webbing at all, then do so. If not, then carry as little in it as possible. If your bergen doesn't have a proper hip belt, then you will need to pack your kidney pouches (or whatever they're called these days) to support it.

Obviously all your kit should be correctly fitted and prepped before you start.

11. An ashpole over the shoulder with a Tescos bag on each end

12. kidney pouches and poncho roll full of stones for that old sweat look go on you know you want to :twisted:

13. In a truck! :roll:

14. Give it to someone else.

15. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

The best method for carrying weight on these jolies is in a vehicle. Quite frankly, its not training and its not clever so big up the weight with water and drink to your hearts content, and bin the excess.

And for those of you that are 'serious' about this jolly, weight goes as high as possible in your bergen (not belt kit). that way, as you walk leaning forwarsd the weight its over your central body mass and minimised.

PM me for other handy tips.