Nijmegen 2010

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Hells_Heels, Jan 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have found previous years' threads which have been quite useful, obviously it seems most on here have done this in teams, but as most people I've asked have found an excuse, it appears there are three of us left that want to give this a try.

Are there any specific tips for people doing this in small teams, I've seen people recommend taking a cyclist and/or their own medic?! Will we be at a huge disadvantage without?

I've never really done much road walking, the real training starts here, but am heeding warnings I've seen on here (seriously, the surgical spirit thing, is it worth doing?) and going to make sure I get on the training now.

Cheers for any Help

2. Nijmegen was lots of fun to do and if you want to give it a try then go for it.

You don't need a cyclist/medic/team/whatever to complete the march. I've done it alone last year as did many other people and had no problems or any blisters. To be honest everbybody with standard fitness should be able to walk this. Walking with someone else (or in a team) may have advantages when it comes to supporting each other, but you'll have to be sure you all have more or less the same tempo.

There are plenty of medical facilities and food/drinks stands along the route so you can get everything you need during the walk. Because of the large scale of the event and the facilities offered I thought it was one of the easier walks I've done. Just prepare yourself and enjoy it.
  3. Cheers, it's good to know we're not going to be disadvantaged for it. Is there a beer tent at the end of every day? And is the Blister Ball worth doing?

Cheers again

4. See you there, being in the RAF, we will be the good looking ones!
  5. What are the dates for the marches this year?

6. From 20 - 23 July.
  7. It's gay crabs and cadets everywhere.

Oh and boring.
  8. boring??!!

Full of fanny more like!
  9. I haven't marched but I did work as a dutch speaker for the RAF BMC Admin unit a couple of times at Nijmegen and have to say it's hard work on all sides.

Be kind to the admin team, you may do all the walking, but they are the ones doing reveille, seeing your team out of the gate, seeing them along the route, seeing them back in the gate and then making sure you all get back to your scratchers when the bar closes.

All those tents for the bar and showers don't appear by magic either! Lot of hard graft goes in by people days before you turn up and then we had one day to tear it all down again when you leave!

It's certainly one thing I miss about not serving any more. I got volunteered for the first year there, then volunteered for the two times I did it after that. 20 hour days are not unusual for the BMC Admin team!

Be prepared if you're taking cadets to have CDT pay a visit too!
  10. I have completed the Nijmegen Marches for the last 6 years, the first four with my son as individual civilian walkers and the last two leading a regular military team. There is a very different, but both enjoyable (if you like that sort of thing!), atmosphere for the military teams and the civilians. If you intend walking as “military” there is the benefit of staying at the military camp in Heumensoord (a few kilometres south of Nijmegen city centre), this has the fabled beer tent and great team camaraderie, particular on the Thursday afternoon (Day 3) when the teams finish in the beer tent – some with the most elaborate and entertaining routines. However the down side of doing it the “military” way is the Byzantine and overly complex rules and administration you have to endure to be accepted – look out for a DIN 2009DIN07-124 . If you do “military” the normal way is part of a team (team = 11 to 15 marchers), the Brits being mean do not allow bicycle orderlies. Although it pains me to say so, as I have become institutionally impregnated to loath the RAF, the ATC cadets are superb and show up most of the regular teams (including my own), they are a great credit to their adult instructors (but why not more ACF?). You can apply to walk as a military “individual” (dangerous concept to the military mind), check the DIN for details. If you consider walking as a civilian please pm me and I am happy to advise, also check the Nijmegen web site (
    Regarding training, pick your footwear (boots and socks) early (I used the same very cheap boots from a local PX for the last two years) and get the miles in, nothing replicates walking 25 miles day for 4 days other then walking long distance (in the boots and socks you intend using), which is time consuming and can be boring. However Nijemegen is hard work but great fun – go for it and good luck.
  11. I did it twice, both times our team took a medic (real RAMC type) for 2 reasons:

1. They could get all of the correct dressings\treatments from the med centre to carry with them, and...

2. Sometimes the queues at the treatment centres on route and at Heumensoord camp could be quite long. It was a lot quicker to do it ourselves, as it meant more bar time!

And going to the blister ball in slippers was quite amusing as we wore BCH both times, and the damage to our feet was horrible. It is well worth it IMHO.
  12. I was there last year, It's a great event, hurts like hell, yet I keep going back This will be my 4th visit, hopefully third completion, (I was there for the infamous 3 days on the lash after it was cancelled in 2006).

I would like to know if anyone has any tips on preparing your hips? By the end of last year my hip bones were shot, I was carrying the 10kg dead weight in webbing, with a Hip Pad but it still wears through. However, today when we started training again the pain came back straight away like I'd never been gone.
    I tried taping it today, but it had little effect.
  13. I was there in 84 and 85 and had such a good time, I considered going AWOL to live there :)