Nijmegan marches cancelled

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by canteen_cowboy, Jul 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not cancelled, postponed due to the high temperatures

2. cancelled! try reading the link i put on my post!! you know the official website, or are you special and know something different?

3. Cant access the link. Acording to BFBS, they have been postponed

4. taken from the website

5. whoa, tough break, we didn't get a place this year, was gutted at the time

6. From the link.

News

Press communication 2006-24
    Nijmegen, 18 July 2006

Four Days Marches 2006 cancelled

Because of the extreme weather circumstances, 2 deaths and many people falling ill, as well as the upcoming weather forecast, the Four Days Marches organization has decided to completely cancel this years event. This means there will be no start of the March tomorrow.

7. BFBS are ARRSE!!!!

8. Come to think of it, do BFBS really have such a reputation for getting things wrong? Easy to say that they have, familiarity indeed breeds contempt, but I can't think offhand of a previous example.

9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

They always interview such interesting people...

10. Don't want to be a pedant, however...

90 years :? Wouldn't that put it back to 1916 8O

Does that mean the 82nd Airbirne Division weren't liberating Holland but just agressively completing the Nijmegan marches :?

And did the Gren Gds get told off for using Shermans :?

And as a random sidebar, the late Brian Johnston of Test Match Special fame (especially the day when Botham almost took his bails off) was the commander of the lead tank across Nijmegan Bridge.

But in all seriousness, condolences to the families of those who tragically died.

11. history
    seems they have records dating back to 1909, but they started before that with no true record, no doubt as pointed a break of a few years a couple of times :wink:

12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Really?

The marches are akin to the Bataan marches, did the Med cover years ago and after seeing things medics shouldnt see. I vowed never walk more than 300m to the pub.

13. It predates WW2.

Holland was neutral in WW1 and the marches did take place in '14-'18

I'm fairly sure that it was Lord (Peter) Carrington, later Foreign Secretary when the Falklands kicked off.

Both were in the Grenadier Guards and both earned MCs.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

My Gt Uncle Sgt in the Canadian Grenadier Gds claimed to be commanding the second tank over the bridge! Still alive, I get to visit him next week in Montreal!