• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Nijmegan marches cancelled

taken from the website
Nijmegen, Wednesday 19 July 2006

To our walkers,

With great regret we have decided last night to cancel the 90th Four Days Marches. We have done so after careful discussion with the local authorities, the medical services as well as police and fire department.

To our dismay, yesterday, on the first walking day, two of our walkers have died. We feel sympathy for the families of the deceased.

Because the temperatures rose steeply in the second half of the afternoon, hundreds of people became sick. Both walkers and spectators. This has imposed great pressure on the medical services. For us, the well-being of walkers as well as spectators always comes first.

Tonight we have removed the signs on the route of the second walking day (The Day of Wijchen). We strongly urge you not to start walking and hope for your understanding and cooperation.

We can imagine that you have many questions, also practical ones. We will soon send you a letter with as many answers as possible. Answers that we cannot give at this moment in time. We ask for your comprehension for the current situation.

Stichting DE 4DAAGSE
Wim Jansen
chairman

From the link.

News

Press communication 2006-24
Nijmegen, 18 July 2006

Four Days Marches 2006 cancelled

Because of the extreme weather circumstances, 2 deaths and many people falling ill, as well as the upcoming weather forecast, the Four Days Marches organization has decided to completely cancel this years event. This means there will be no start of the March tomorrow.
Not like BFBS to get something wrong then :wink:

Steven said:
...Not like BFBS to get something wrong then :wink:
Come to think of it, do BFBS really have such a reputation for getting things wrong? Easy to say that they have, familiarity indeed breeds contempt, but I can't think offhand of a previous example.

hackle said:
Steven said:
Come to think of it, do BFBS really have such a reputation for getting things wrong? Easy to say that they have, familiarity indeed breeds contempt, but I can't think offhand of a previous example.
They always interview such interesting people...

canteen_cowboy said:
Nijmegan marches

1st time in their 90 year history.
Don't want to be a pedant, however...

90 years :? Wouldn't that put it back to 1916 8O

Does that mean the 82nd Airbirne Division weren't liberating Holland but just agressively completing the Nijmegan marches :?

And did the Gren Gds get told off for using Shermans :?

And as a random sidebar, the late Brian Johnston of Test Match Special fame (especially the day when Botham almost took his bails off) was the commander of the lead tank across Nijmegan Bridge.

But in all seriousness, condolences to the families of those who tragically died.

the_baron said:
canteen_cowboy said:
Nijmegan marches

1st time in their 90 year history.
Don't want to be a pedant, however...

90 years :? Wouldn't that put it back to 1916 8O

Does that mean the 82nd Airbirne Division weren't liberating Holland but just agressively completing the Nijmegan marches :?

And did the Gren Gds get told off for using Shermans :?

And as a random sidebar, the late Brian Johnston of Test Match Special fame (especially the day when Botham almost took his bails off) was the commander of the lead tank across Nijmegan Bridge.

But in all seriousness, condolences to the families of those who tragically died.
history
seems they have records dating back to 1909, but they started before that with no true record, no doubt as pointed a break of a few years a couple of times :wink:

Ventress

LE
drain_sniffer said:
BFBS are ARRSE!!!!
Really?

The marches are akin to the Bataan marches, did the Med cover years ago and after seeing things medics shouldnt see. I vowed never walk more than 300m to the pub.

the_baron said:
90 years Wouldn't that put it back to 1916

It predates WW2.

Holland was neutral in WW1 and the marches did take place in '14-'18

I'm fairly sure that it was Lord (Peter) Carrington, later Foreign Secretary when the Falklands kicked off.

Both were in the Grenadier Guards and both earned MCs.

ugly

LE
Onetap said:
the_baron said:
90 years Wouldn't that put it back to 1916

It predates WW2.

Holland was neutral in WW1 and the marches did take place in '14-'18

I'm fairly sure that it was Lord (Peter) Carrington, later Foreign Secretary when the Falklands kicked off.

Both were in the Grenadier Guards and both earned MCs.
My Gt Uncle Sgt in the Canadian Grenadier Gds claimed to be commanding the second tank over the bridge! Still alive, I get to visit him next week in Montreal!

ugly said:
My Gt Uncle Sgt in the Canadian Grenadier Gds claimed to be commanding the second tank over the bridge! Still alive, I get to visit him next week in Montreal!
Pretty sure Ex-archbishop Runice also in that column as a Sherman tank comander as well

ViroBono said:
hackle said:
Steven said:
Yeah, you're right VB... like Douglas Young of the British Armed Forces Federation. 'er hang on... isn't that part of your signature???

OiOi said:
ViroBono said:
hackle said:
Steven said:
Yeah, you're right VB... like Douglas Young of the British Armed Forces Federation. 'er hang on... isn't that part of your signature???
LOL

My nice remarks about BFBS were about their own content... NOT the quality of their guests.

D.Y.

OiOi said:
ViroBono said:
hackle said:
Steven said:
Wah!

Latest Threads