Nightingale hospitals, could they have a second use?

Most of that was disposed of twenty years ago when the perceived need for civil defence went. The Nightingale’s have been furnished with modern equipment.

It’s a while since I posted the comment that you have quoted but I think my logic was that the NHS managed to find the 5000+ beds out of stuff it isn’t scaled to hold. Stuff that should have been disposed of.

In other words, the ability to quickly build emergency hospitals was good luck based on the results of poor management rather than proper planning.
I found myself wondering if there was a layer of Brokers batch ordering and storing kit which was then supplied "JIT" to the NHS.

Maybe, but that just highlights waste in the procurement systems. Brokers storing kit to supply JIT can only pass the associated costs on to their client.
JIT generally is about that.

Save on your own warehousing and internal logistics.
Pay your supplier on purchase with them balancing their warehousing and logistics against manufacturing on demand. If you’re not the only customer then the stock is held to meet the demand of all, with the supplier having to ensure items are in date where applicable

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Some (eg ExCel centre) also occupy large premium sites that would normally generate high incomes, business rates etc. in their original primary roles.

So, not in anyone's wildest dreams.
Can you honestly see large conventions happening anytime soon?. Tens of thousands of people wandering around a huge enclosed space picking up and putting down display peices, then the several hundred even staff to set up and dismantle the event days after and before the exhibit.

I feel the days of large national exhibitions are gone for the foreseeable future. A bit like the cruise industry and cheap weekend overseas breaks.

Times they are a changing.

MR_R_SOLE

Can you honestly see large conventions happening anytime soon?. Tens of thousands of people wandering around a huge enclosed space picking up and putting down display peices, then the several hundred even staff to set up and dismantle the event days after and before the exhibit.

I feel the days of large national exhibitions are gone for the foreseeable future. A bit like the cruise industry and cheap weekend overseas breaks.

MR_R_SOLE

Filthy lucre will tempt us all back into how it was before this nonsense occurred re conventions, etc ... it's how and where the real deals are done.

Would you or your company want to miss out or be seen as the wheezy boy at the back by not attending?

Last edited:

MR_R_SOLE
A trade show I usually frequent was supposed to be held at the NEC mid-April next year. It's now been put back to mid-June. Whether it will happen at all depends on a fair few things going right over the next few months.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have seen adverts a trade show/conference in November this year (my profession tends to merge them together)

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Filthy lucre will tempt us all back into how it was before this nonsense occurred re conventions, etc ... it's how and where the real deals are done.

Would you or your company want to miss out or be seen as the wheezy boy at the back by not attending?

Yes because dead poepole or seriously Ill pepole tend not to buy many products anyway, with the exception of a large wooden overcoat, renting a couple of big black Jags for the day. A hole in the ground or a turn in the oven. As for the seriously Ill they too tend to cur back on spending as being stuck to a ventilator for a few weeks really rather stops ones shopping activities. I know 4 people who have had COVID-19 2 died one is making good recovery, and finally an EX RE Maroon lidded EOD op that ran ultra marathons for fun was even toying work the idea of THE SPINE RACE NEXT YEAR! Has for the past 10 years every friday ran at least 25 miles home for fun!( **** that I wanna get home as quick as possible and get stuck Into the booze!) Whom after testing posative 5 weeks ago can just about climb a flight of stairs without getting out of breath. I think his spare funds will be more suited to a Stannahh stair lift!.

This stuff is not a joke and wont be going away anytime soon.
Life will change.
I know office workers that are refusing to go back to the office and want to continue working from home.
I know construction workers that have double or even tripled the length of large projects ( thinks500+ apartments) large multi story carpark. Hospitals ironically. Schools. As the only was to do this safely takes far more time than the old way of chuck 12 spreads In a room 20 bags of multi finish and shout crack on lads job and knock.
It's the same with all trades the whole "Oi come give us a hand with this heavy sheet of materials " has also gone the way of the Dodo for the foreseeable.

So no My business will not be attending any exhibitions, displays, workshops etc. For a very long time. I shall keep.abreast of now practices or technology's online and via news letter.
What we shall be doing how ever is complying with Social Distancing. Usage of RPE and PPE. Industrial qauanties of hand sanitizer.
Suggesting decontamination showers on all of out projects.
Insisting that employees arrive at work In one change of clothes and travelling alone where reasonably possible public tansporst is BANNED then changing in to work gear. Going to work then at the end of shift. At the at the very least thoroughly washing hands face etc. Before changing back into thier travelling gear. Both to be kept in separate lockers. All dirty work ware to be kept at work until friday the bought home in a cotton pillow case then chucked straight in the washing machine alone and Dettole Anti bac and virus was to be used ( we supply this ).

All while kicking the Arrse out of online advertising. Taking photos of our working practices for advertising purposes.

But above all trying to keep everyone safe a healthy. If my profits are down for a few years so be it, but at least hopefully I won't be attending colleges funreals either in person or via Skype and all my employees and thier families have money coming in and can see that we as a company are doing all we can to keep them all safe .

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE

Our industry European Conference has been rescheduled from June to December. It’s in Amsterdam, so it will probably go ahead, but I imagine our company will drastically cut back on numbers attending.
Our US Conference is still scheduled for September in Houston. I’ll be surprised if any of us in Europe will be allowed to go.

Yes because dead poepole or seriously Ill pepole tend not to buy many products anyway, with the exception of a large wooden overcoat, renting a couple of big black Jags for the day. A hole in the ground or a turn in the oven. As for the seriously Ill they too tend to cur back on spending as being stuck to a ventilator for a few weeks really rather stops ones shopping activities. I know 4 people who have had COVID-19 2 died one is making good recovery, and finally an EX RE Maroon lidded EOD op that ran ultra marathons for fun was even toying work the idea of THE SPINE RACE NEXT YEAR! Has for the past 10 years every friday ran at least 25 miles home for fun!( **** that I wanna get home as quick as possible and get stuck Into the booze!) Whom after testing posative 5 weeks ago can just about climb a flight of stairs without getting out of breath. I think his spare funds will be more suited to a Stannahh stair lift!.

This stuff is not a joke and wont be going away anytime soon.
Life will change.
I know office workers that are refusing to go back to the office and want to continue working from home.
I know construction workers that have double or even tripled the length of large projects ( thinks500+ apartments) large multi story carpark. Hospitals ironically. Schools. As the only was to do this safely takes far more time than the old way of chuck 12 spreads In a room 20 bags of multi finish and shout crack on lads job and knock.
It's the same with all trades the whole "Oi come give us a hand with this heavy sheet of materials " has also gone the way of the Dodo for the foreseeable.

So no My business will not be attending any exhibitions, displays, workshops etc. For a very long time. I shall keep.abreast of now practices or technology's online and via news letter.
What we shall be doing how ever is complying with Social Distancing. Usage of RPE and PPE. Industrial qauanties of hand sanitizer.
Suggesting decontamination showers on all of out projects.
Insisting that employees arrive at work In one change of clothes and travelling alone where reasonably possible public tansporst is BANNED then changing in to work gear. Going to work then at the end of shift. At the at the very least thoroughly washing hands face etc. Before changing back into thier travelling gear. Both to be kept in separate lockers. All dirty work ware to be kept at work until friday the bought home in a cotton pillow case then chucked straight in the washing machine alone and Dettole Anti bac and virus was to be used ( we supply this ).

All while kicking the Arrse out of online advertising. Taking photos of our working practices for advertising purposes.

But above all trying to keep everyone safe a healthy. If my profits are down for a few years so be it, but at least hopefully I won't be attending colleges funreals either in person or via Skype and all my employees and thier families have money coming in and can see that we as a company are doing all we can to keep them all safe .

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE

In answer to your short reply... Ok.

Hint: Learn how to spell the word 'People', plus a few others - or how to use spell check .

It will really help your business , and with your drama queen ,woke bolloxs answer, , it look's like it's gonna need all the help it can get., seeing as those not in the 'At risk 'category, i.e . 99% of us , wont GAF when they see £ signs.

Meh

JIT generally is about that.

Save on your own warehousing and internal logistics.
Pay your supplier on purchase with them balancing their warehousing and logistics against manufacturing on demand. If you’re not the only customer then the stock is held to meet the demand of all, with the supplier having to ensure items are in date where applicable
If the Brokers are seen to be shouldering the "risk" thats another tick in a box.

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
In answer to your short reply... Ok.

Hint: Learn how to spell the word 'People', plus a few others - or how to use spell check .

It will really help your business , and with your drama queen ,woke bolloxs answer, , it look's like it's gonna need all the help it can get., seeing as those not in the 'At risk 'category, i.e . 99% of us , wont GAF when they see £ signs.

Meh

So you resort pointing out grammaticall errors, as for drama queen I hope you never have to see Man you respect, meet with socially and care for. Turned into something resembling a 70 a smoker who suffers bronchitis. He was not in the at risk category nor is my other friend whom recovered.

You will GAF when income tax is at 30%, VAT at 25% and the new extension your planning now instead of taking 3 months from your local builder costing Circa 60K now in the hands of a managing agent the build length now being 6/8 months and costing nearly 90k. Ohh and what happend the last time we built a load of real estate the no one could afford does 2005/2006 ring any bells?. All these nice shiny office blocks going up all around the country guess what NO one will.want to work in therefore unable to pay rates bringing ressescion that buy all accounts could make the 2008 ressescion look like a slight bump for which was your original point. Theis is not about being WOKE as you put it. It's about seeing the the world has changed.
Would you honestly want to go to work in a office complex of 600 staff not knowing if they are practicing social distancing or hood hygiene practices, how many times have you seen someone walk out of trap 1 give thier hands a 5 seconds rinse of just water. The press the hamdryer button and then open the door ( the scruffy TWUNTS) .

I suggest you stop your attempts at petty point scoring. I build shit for a living. I make stuff work. I have a tool bag and a van instead of a laptop and company car. Grammar is not my strong point ( I employ others to tend to the papery side of the business) As my strengths lay in problem solving man managment and working to tight deadlines.

As to the Drama queen comment seeing as your on here I assume that you have spent some time im the forces ( hopefully not a cold war Warrior) then you may have some sense of responsibility for the men and women under you command. If you indeed have any command responseablity I feel sorry for the pepole you look after, I could only imgain what must be like working forsuch a throbber.

As for exhibitions being where the real deals are done I can only speak for my industry but a golf course or a nice meal and a night on the lash tend to work better then 2000 walking petri dishes mingling about putting thier grubby mitts on your prototypes/ displays. If you need to go to a expo to get your doing business wrong

Yours sincerely
MR_R_SOLE.

Last edited:
Most of that was disposed of twenty years ago when the perceived need for civil defence went. The Nightingale’s have been furnished with modern equipment.

It’s a while since I posted the comment that you have quoted but I think my logic was that the NHS managed to find the 5000+ beds out of stuff it isn’t scaled to hold. Stuff that should have been disposed of.

In other words, the ability to quickly build emergency hospitals was good luck based on the results of poor management rather than proper planning.
Looks like it had space for that many, but only 500 of the spaces were kitted out. "Fitted for, but not with, beds"

" exhibition halls have been fitted out with the framework for about 80 wards, each with 42 beds. Some 500 fully-equipped beds, with oxygen and ventilators, are already in place and there is space for another 3,500."

So you resort pointing out grammaticall errors, as for drama queen I hope you never have to see Man you respect, meet with socially and care for. Turned into something resembling a 70 a smoker who suffers bronchitis. He was not in the at risk category nor is my other friend whom recovered.

You will GAF when income tax is at 30%, VAT at 25% and the new extension your planning now instead of taking 3 months from your local builder costing Circa 60K now in the hands of a managing agent the build length not being 6/8 months and costing nearly 90k. Ohh and what happend when we built a load of real estate the no one could afford does 2005/2006 ring any bells?. All these nice shiny office blocks going up all around the country guess what NO one will.want to work in / pay rates bringing ressescion tjat buy all accounts could make the 2008 ressescion look like a slight bump for which was your original point. Theis is not about being WOKE as you put it. It's about seeing the the world has changed.
Would you honestly want to go to work in a office complex of 600 staff not knowing if they are practicing social distancing or hood hygiene practices, how many times have you seen someone walk out of trap 1 give thier hands a 5 seconds rinse of just water. The press the hamdryer button and then open the door ( the scruffy TWUNTS) .

I suggest you stop your attempts at petty point scoring. I build shit for a living. I make stuff work. I have a tool bag and a van instead of a laptop and company car. Grammar is not my strong point ( I employ others to tend to the papery side of the business) As my strengths lay in problem solving man managment and working to tight deadlines.

As to the Drama queen comment seeing as your on here I assume that you have spent some time im the forces ( hopefully not a cold war Warrior) then you may have some sense of responsibility for the men and women under you command. If you indeed have any command responseablity I feel sorry for the pepole you look after, I could only imgain what must be like working forsuch a throbber.

Yours sincerely
MR_R_SOLE.

Ok, Cheers mate :cool: .... Guess it's true that the drugs don't work?

You spout off like a coke head with a degree in fortune telling.... cool, it may help if you calmed the feck down and didn't believe your own hype.

You're not the first to be angry at a situation , you not the first to think about social conscience or the economy .....and you sure as feck won't be the last.

Meh..... Best I start using that 'ham dryer' for a few more seconds then?

I work in the same game, yeah, you know, 'hands on' shit.... Surveys, estimates, repairs and maintenance for housing providers , often properties tenanted by those with every illness you can think of including those that are self inflicted.

I use small local subbies whenever I can , to give them a run of work and to stop them starving. .... plus it helps my mark up.

PS Loving the 'Pepole' comment too, as it's always good to hear how important they are ... from those who can't even spell the word.

'Cha, too Easy.

Stay Safe.

Last edited:

mcphee1948

War Hero
I think the government was right to build the Nightingale hospitals. They might seem redundant at present.

But when the second deadly wave of virus strikes, in a month or two, the hospitals will be appreciated.

Last edited:

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Ok, Cheers mate :cool: .... Guess it's true that the drugs don't work?

You spout off like a coke head with a degree in fortune telling.... cool, it may help if you calmed the feck down and didn't believe your own hype.

You're not the first to be angry at a situation , you not the first to think about social conscience or the economy .....and you sure as feck won't be the last.

Meh..... Best I start using that 'ham dryer' for a few more seconds then?

I work in the same game, yeah, you know, 'hands on' shit.... Surveys, estimates, repairs and maintenance for housing providers , often properties tenanted by those with every illness you can think of including those that are self inflicted.

I use small local subbies whenever I can , to give them a run of work and to stop them starving. .... plus it helps my mark up.

PS Loving the 'Pepole' comment too, as it's always good to hear how important they are ... from those who can't even spell the word.

'Cha, too Easy.

Stay Safe.

Again puerile comebacks to reasonably asked questions ( well except from when I called you a Throbber) but I stand by my comment. You are indeed a throbber referring to Sub Contractors as Subbies ( I choose to call them collegues ) and your soo very gracious to stop them starving.

Were not in the same game bud you work in houses doing minor repairs, I work on Tier 1 infrastructure project. Think Nuclear, Deepsea container ports. Stadiums. Hospitals. Research laboratories. Even with my lack of grammar and spelling ( see I'm.not to big to admit flaws) the companies I work with know this and can tell when an email has came from me rather than one of the office workers and jokingly decipher my ramblings.
But they still employ my company none of us ever met at Expos or that god awful BNI cult. We were introduced by the fact we are rather good at what we do. We take care of our clients and our employees alike. I've been back on site for the past 4 weeks as I wouldn't ask any employee to do anything i wouldnt my self.

So please tell up of all the upcoming expos that are happening?. Most have been pushed back by months some even cancelled.

I'm not one to wish Ill of a man but I think you and your little handyman business may be in for a tough few months.

So please answer the questions put to you or go pick a fight with Buggsy. At least you will be evenly matched at not contributing to threads ( perhaps we could organise a pigion shouting contest for you both social distancing being observed naturally).

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE

Again puerile comebacks to reasonably asked questions ( well except from when I called you a Throbber) but I stand by my comment. You are indeed a throbber referring to Sub Contractors as Subbies ( I choose to call them collegues ) and your soo very gracious to stop them starving.

Were not in the same game bud you work in houses doing minor repairs, I work on Tier 1 infrastructure project. Think Nuclear, Deepsea container ports. Stadiums. Hospitals. Research laboratories. Even with my lack of grammar and spelling ( see I'm.not to big to admit flaws) the companies I work with know this and can tell when an email has came from me rather than one of the office workers and jokingly decipher my ramblings.
But they still employ my company none of us ever met at Expos or that god awful BNI cult. We were introduced by the fact we are rather good at what we do. We take care of our clients and our employees alike. I've been back on site for the past 4 weeks as I wouldn't ask any employee to do anything i wouldnt my self.

So please tell up of all the upcoming expos that are happening?. Most have been pushed back by months some even cancelled.

I'm not one to wish Ill of a man but I think you and your little handyman business may be in for a tough few months.

So please answer the questions put to you or go pick a fight with Buggsy. At least you will be evenly matched at not contributing to threads ( perhaps we could organise a pigion shouting contest for you both social distancing being observed naturally).

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE

Right...... good response....er, maybe not?

The little handyman business I work for has a turnover is about £17 mil per year ... it's struggle but we get by.

PM me, I maybe be able to offer you some work so that you won't starve .

Nah, feck it , don't bother, you seem to have it all sown up :)

Stay safe Bruh ... Get those invoices in cos those clients of yours always pay on time.

PS You come across as a shouty clown that no one I know would touch unless they were planning to pull your trousers down , meh, whadda I know?

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Right...... good response....er, maybe not?

The little handyman business I work for has a turnover is about £17 mil per year ... it's struggle but we get by.

PM me, I maybe be able to offer you some work so that you won't starve .

Nah, feck it , don't bother, you seem to have it all sown up :)

Stay safe Bruh ... Get those invoices in cos those clients of yours always pay on time.

PS You come across as a shouty clown that no one I know would touch unless they were planning to pull your trousers down , meh, whadda I know?

So you work for the little handy man business and not own it?

First rule of business, Turn over is vanity, Profit is Sanitary.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Looks like it had space for that many, but only 500 of the spaces were kitted out. "Fitted for, but not with, beds"

" exhibition halls have been fitted out with the framework for about 80 wards, each with 42 beds. Some 500 fully-equipped beds, with oxygen and ventilators, are already in place and there is space for another 3,500."
One thing that gets little mention is the emergency morgues that were set up for the predicted tsunami of corpses.
All pretty much unused.

Latest Threads