Nightingale hospitals, could they have a second use?

Slime

LE
There are Nightingale hospitals at various places in the U.K.
The NHS has grown in recent times with ex staff returning to work, and a growing army of volunteers.
Once the main thrust of dealing with Corona virus has been sorted the U.K. will find itself with a surplus of hospital beds, equipment and staff, these could be used to help clear various backlogs of patients who didn’t receive treatnent of routine work during lockdown.

But once the main virus and backlog work were sorted we will still have the beds and staff. Could we use the Nightingale hospitals to get to work in getting rid of waiting times for other long standing routine day case or admission procedures?

Let the regular hospitals continue as before but set up each Nightingale to work on four or five particular routine jobs for a month at a time.
Whether it’s a simple thing like ingrown toe nails, tonsils out or harder stuff like knee replacements a dedicated extra thirty to forty beds in each hospital could clear waiting lists very well.

While a knee op in a regular hospital or Nightingale involve the same procedure the delays currently experienced add the extra costs of:
GP time
lost days off work while waiting
increased social care
increased costs in paperwork and man hours in communicating with patients while they wait.

The Nightingale hospitals could also be great venues for staff training.

Is the above nonsense, obvious or just something the government would shy away from?

I think the main problem would be that Nightingales are bare basics. So they wouldn't do surgery in them for example.

Could we use them to smash through loads of GP stuff? Probably!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted 164106

The NHS has grown in recent times with ex staff returning to work, and a growing army of volunteers.
Once the main thrust of dealing with Corona virus has been sorted the U.K. will find itself with a surplus of hospital beds, equipment and staff, these could be used to help clear various backlogs of patients who didn’t receive treatnent of routine work during lockdown.

But once the main virus and backlog work were sorted we will still have the beds and staff. Could we use the Nightingale hospitals to get to work in getting rid of waiting times for other long standing routine day case or admission procedures?

Let the regular hospitals continue as before but set up each Nightingale to work on four or five particular routine jobs for a month at a time.
Whether it’s a simple thing like ingrown toe nails, tonsils out or harder stuff like knee replacements a dedicated extra thirty to forty beds in each hospital could clear waiting lists very well.

While a knee op in a regular hospital or Nightingale involve the same procedure the delays currently experienced add the extra costs of:
GP time
increased social care
increased costs in paperwork and man hours in communicating with patients while they wait.

Is the above nonsense, obvious or just something the government would shy away from?
Once the virus is under control, I suspect the original owners will want their building back for their intended purpose.

Slime

LE
Once the virus is under control, I suspect the original owners will want their building back for their intended purpose.

As an example, whether the University conference hall at the University of the West of England is used for conferences now and then, or daily as a hospital one generates a bigger income than the other, and the biggest income will be as a hospital.

I think the main problem would be that Nightingales are bare basics. So they wouldn't do surgery in them for example.

Some (eg ExCel centre) also occupy large premium sites that would normally generate high incomes, business rates etc. in their original primary roles.

So, not in anyone's wildest dreams.

Slime

LE
They also occupy premium sites that would normally generate high incomes, business rates etc. in their original primary roles.

So, not in anyone's wildest dreams.

As per above, not in my local area.

arfah

LE
All that kit will be sent back to the loan pool/original owners.
NHS staff who are crisis volunteers will be demobbed.
Buildings returned to normal use.

The fallen might even have a remembrance service every 5th March...

4(T)

LE
Well I've just received an initial contact letter for an NHS consultation - six months after the GP referral. This is not even delayed due to virus, thats the follow-on excuse for not confirming an appointment date.

I sincerely hope C19 is the catalyst for wholesale transformation of the NHS, but I expect it'll just be a matter of BJ or someone throwing another £100bn at the NHS 'eroes to keep the vote tally up.

Dalef65

Old-Salt

Is the above nonsense, obvious or....

is markedly different from...

Is the above, nonsense, obvious or..

It's all about the presence or absence of a comma. Are we to deduce you think your own question is nonsensical.?

GP time
increased social care

I admire your thinking and it's a great idea but my experience of the NHS is temporary is permanent. They'd still be in use in 5 years and the owners will be pocketing millions and despite this they'd continue for another 5 years.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think we need some clarity on what their first use is before moving on to a second.

Yokel

LE
I wonder how long it will take for business as normal to be resumed by the owners and users of the owners of the buildings, so perhaps it will be better to keep them in use? As someone else said, these will not be places for any kind of surgery but for supportive care.

Could or should the NHS have a reserve of beds, wards, and equipment in case of crisis? That is one of the questions to be asked in the longer term?

I suppose they could retain them and centre all NHS training in them, use them as assessment centres for verifiably qualified medical staff applying for jobs in the NHS to ease their transition into the way the NHS runs and similarly use them as assessment/transition centres for dental staff.

My question; where did the kit come from? Who was storing beds just in case? Who had medical grade partitions in store? These aren’t things that are volume manufactured in the UK, so they were hidden somewhere.

And if there was a secret stash somewhere, why did it exist? If it was contingency stock to deal with an emergency, why didn’t it include ventilators or PPE. Or is is just good luck that NHS procurement has over ordered beds?

Dr Death

War Hero
Weekend triage hospital for the all the drunks/druggies & party goers that get ill.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
My question; where did the kit come from? Who was storing beds just in case? Who had medical grade partitions in store? These aren’t things that are volume manufactured in the UK, so they were hidden somewhere.

And if there was a secret stash somewhere, why did it exist? If it was contingency stock to deal with an emergency, why didn’t it include ventilators or PPE. Or is is just good luck that NHS procurement has over ordered beds?

Also; are they giving active care or providing palliative care? Where are the staff coming from and where are patients being transferred there from?

Slime

LE
I think we need some clarity on what their first use is before moving on to a second.

Have you been playing hide and seek for ages...........and only just out of hiding :)

On a serious note, have any of you not been bombarded daily for some time on the set up, staffing and capacity of the Nightingale hospital on your local MSM.

In the ITV West region the media broke the story of the location and building work before the government even announced one was to be built at the UWE campus.

Latest Threads