Night Witches

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by alib, Mar 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just ran into this on the BBC R4 a rebroadcast
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's some video here and some pictures accompanied by the Red Army Choir belting out cracking propaganda.
    [​IMG]

2. is this something to do with international wimin's day?

3. I heard part of that programme live and it was fascinating .... I think one of the surviving pilots said she flew up to six Ops a night and the name " Night Witches " was given to them by German troops because of the Pilots' tactic of throttling back their engine , thus reducing noise , and almost gliding into their bombing run .

4. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Funnily enough, I had read about the Night Witches in Sven Hassel years ago and thought it had to be rubbish, but then to my astonishment, my own research turned up an incident in which the Royal Ulster Rifles were bombed in this manner.

In Pyongyang, winter, 1950, the RUR were the UN rearguard, pulling back over the city bridges before they were blown, when they were silently bombed from above. The North Koreans had borrowed the technique of taking a biplane, cutting the engine, gliding invisibly over enemy lines and dropping bombs out of the cockpit.

5. I met one of them once in Moscow. I was curious as to how they were recruited. She said she was in a women's volleyball team, and one day someone said "Right, you're volunteered for aircrew training."
    Hmmmm..........

6. Not one of the Night Witches - Lydia Litviak was arguably the leading Soviet female fighter pilot. At least 12 victories IIRC. Learnt to fly pre-war aged 15. Served with a largely male Guards fighter regiment, and became a tad pathological in her hunting after the death of the ace to whom she was wingman and the object of her affections.

Failed to return from a sortie aged 21; was put up for a posthumous Hero of the Soviet Union (highest Soviet gallantry award but perhaps closer to a DSO than a VC) but refused because the Stalinist apparatchiks thought she might have defected to the Nazis. Her female mechanic, one SSgt Pasportnikova, was not happy, and spent decades after the war doggedly searching possible crash sites. Eventually found the probable wreck and a grave dug by local villagers, and Gorbachev finally awarded Litviak the HSU in 1990.

Litviak's story alone was remarkable, but it is Pasportnikova's dedication for nearly forty years that has always struck me as truly heroic.