Night vision

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by barbarasson, Jan 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am going to be helping to run a patrolling exercise for a ccf unit. I understand they have unit funds to buy equipment, and I want them to get a set of nvg or binos to enliven the night training a bit. Obviously I don't need a hyper-gucci set, but was wondering if anyone could recommend some reasonable starter kit the cadets would benefit from getting their hands on. In reality a decent view at 10om is all that would be required, any ideas?
  2. Why not see if you can loan some CWS via your local sponsoring unit or try to get some stuff via loan stores at Bicester. That way you can save some money and introduce them to the equipment they will be breaking as adult soldiers!
  3. Excellent idea, with probably no chance at all of working I am afraid. Sponsor units no longer seem to exist really (just the cap badging to our county regt) and they can only get instructors from the cadet training team for 'special events' now. Also they could keep it for future interest. Also the arrse of getting and returning the kit in terms of time, it is easier to buy (for the right price). Thanks for the info.
  4. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Is Bicester really that troublesome? They seemed to give us the earth when we needed nordic skiing gear.

Also, Costco are selling a NV monocle (with head straps etc) for around the 80 quid mark...
  5. Yachting shops do a good range of cheap NVG's - not sure if they'll be as cheap as the Costco monocle mentioned above though.
  6. any reliable yachting suppliers?
  7. I picked up a Yukon NVMT3 (Gen1 tube) for a little over £130 on Ebay. Have passive/active option. Good field of view. Not too heavy either. Have to use IR lamp to get anything like CWS view, but good for casual use.