Night Vision for civvy use. What works, what doesnt?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by EX_STAB, Jan 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seems to me you either buy a Kite or MaxiKite at vast expense or don't bother. Any thoughts?
  2. msr

msr LE

Wait for the sun to rise?
  3. Having looked at quite a few myself, I'd tend to agree. Fultons at Bisley had 2 Army surplus CWS a couple of years ago at £1475 and £1750. I didnt want to ask about their origins or legality, but I did think it odd to see these items for sale. Whether anymore will turn up on the civvy market remains to be seen
  4. They are available commercially. They are just hideously expensive. Think £5k plus.
  5. Try anything £1000+ from a UK company called 'Starlight'.

The expense of the nightvision scope is in the 'tube' (the gizmo that enhances the little light available from the stars etc). Don't be mislead by the whole 'gen3, gen2+, gen 2 etc' thing as these terms are misused all the time. Spend the money on a scope containing a Dutch-made tube called 'XD4' and you'll be laughing, as it is every bit as good as the Gen3 tubes in military kit, but less likely to 'flare-out' if you are near a lightsource like a street lamp

The cost of the tube will be well over half of the total value of the scope. Starlight assemble their own (imported) components in the UK and have a reasonable reputation for service/warranty.

If you want a 'kite MK4' then they are made in St. Asaph, North wales by Qioptiq (used to be Thales), and they would probably send you a brochure which would explain more.

Or buy lamp
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Biped has some experience on this and if anyone wants to trial any they can on our ground!
  7. We bought one of the cheapy things from Lidl / Aldi / Netto and providing there is some moonlight it works rather well. It does seem to be quite heavy on batteries though. It cost about £120 if I remember correctly
    We use it in conjunction with an emergency light that is gimble mounted. So spot the beasty with the Nightscope, illuminate with the big red lamp and pot it quick. Then its back home for tea and medals