Night shifts bad for boobs - gravy train on Platform 1

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by putteesinmyhands, Mar 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, the Danish government has started the ball rolling by giving compensation to female night shift workers who develop breast cancer:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7945145.stm

Doubtless HMG will eventually follow suit in 2011, when their studies are complete.

But what implications will this have?

Women being taken off night shift but retaining night shift pay so that they won't be disadvantaged? Hospitals being closed at night due to insufficient staff?

Nothing would surprise me.

2. It's a gravy train that men can join too.Linky to info about male breast cancer.

So that's no night shifts ever again Yay !

3. Night shifts screw your body over, yes we know.

How does that diminsh ones own responsibilities to go to the doctor when you feel a bit under?

4. ergo no stags at night :p
    god bless 'elf an' saeftee

hold up...male breast cancer??
    Ain't that like saying the SA80 is squaddie proof??

5. 'Feeling a bit under' has pretty much come to be the normal condition of the British workforce. That doesn't diminish an employer's responsibility not to put their staff at avoidable risk.

There'll be a whole load of chancers seeking to take advantage of this - I'm surprised Jade Goody isn't suing the Big Brother team - but it's a genuine and avoidable medical phenomenon. So long as it's policed like the Danes have i.e. fucking off those with a family history, it seems only right to me.

6. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Having worked night shift for the last 25 years, my boobs, and the rest of me, are doing just fine!

Its all about developing a pattern - you get used to anything in time. There was yet another paper, a few years back, which proved beyond doubt that alternating shift patterns, early shifts, back shifts and nights, were much more detrimental to health than constant nights.

Seconded Jarrod - if you cant hack nights (and some people just cant), get a job where they are not required.

8. Right just discussed it with our Occ Health Physician. We are going to stop all night working at our NHS Trust. All patients must go home by 20:00 and return for care at 08:00. (yeah and you dont see many pigs flying at that alltitude)

9. Joking aside, this is not far off what one union rep was hinting at when interviewed on the radio last night. I didn't catch which union or occupation he represented, but his tone suggested that he was looking forward to flexing his union's muscle...

10. Seems a bit strange that one as their pre-disposition has been exacerbated by night work.

There is no reason why night shift workers shouldn't turn their days around and sleep during the day. It doesn't take long for circadian rhythms to turn round and reflect differing sleep patterns.

Once again this seems to be one in the eye for those feminists who say we are all exactly equal and should be treated exactly the same (except where it is more beneficial to the female).

11. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

12. I sat in on a research seminar given by a visiting Israeli prof a few weeks ago. He gave a talk based around the biological affects of artificial light.

To cut a long-story short, they had pretty good evidence that, once genetic factors were accounted for, increased exposure to artificial light in Israeli women was closely associated to increased risk of breast cancer (but not other cancers). As ever, in observational studies, correlation does not imply causation, but the overlap was pretty clear.

In his experimental studies working with mice, melatonin was shown to reduce the affect of artificial light on breast cancer development....

13. Unfortunately, the melatonin/serotonin cycle is reliant on the light/dark cycle...

14. So does this mean that it would effect more cancers than just mamarian ( in both sexes)? Presumably working nights would have a positive effect on skin cancers?
    Nightshift for depressives?

15. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

And that's rubbish, too. You get used to alternating shifts just as well.
    I've been working on different shift patterns for 20 years. The only thing I found difficult every now and again was finding a sleep-wake rhythm, while boobs (and everything else) are doing great.

And you can always find a way to 'prove' whatever you want to.
    It's like saying: All criminals have slept a couple hours the night before and had at least one meal the day before they committed a crime.
    No doubt this will be right.

Still no need to worry you'll end up a criminal anytime you sleep at night and have a meal during the day. :lol:
    As said before, it's all rubbish.