• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Night shifts a health risk?

I've worked permanent night shift for a few years now, and apart from the odd problem with adjusting my body clock (not being able to sleep at the weekends and so on) I haven't noticed any issues with my health.

Even so, I have heard that working nights can give all sorts of problems such as increased rates of cancer, and general ill health. Does anyone know of anywhere I could find some relevant facts and figures?

Also I have heard that sleeping during the daylight hours causes your body to stop, or decrease production of certain hormones. Are blackout curtains the only solution?

Any input from fellow 'night-owls' or people with medical knowledge would be welcomed.

Cheers
T_T

Shifts make you...unsettled. I did sixty night shifts in the div Op Room (by choice) in 1996 back to back. I decided not to do any more because I found groups of more than five people scary!!

Don't know if they are a health risk but I find now, after several years without shifts, I still find my body clock wants to have it's fair share of 'nights'.Hence still being up at this time.

Latest Threads