• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Night Excercise ideas needed

Gudday you lot. Anywho, I come here requesting help. I've been put in charge of planning a night ex for cadets in my area, and, well I need some ideas of things to do. We have one hour to fill in, in grassy/tussocky/hilly/open terrain. Any suggestions greatly apprectiated. Thanks

Only an hour? that's hardly adequate for an exercise.. Try some kind of ambush. Junior cadets get pumped about ambushing seniors.

Yep, sound and light demos are always good. Maybe you can get access to some night sight gear too, to show them just how visiable you can be at night?

Get them to set up or you set up an OP and have activities going on in front of the Posn and get them to Observe for a period of time and get their results of what they recorded and saw.

A - H
Moral
What was happening
Numbers present
SCRIM of veh
Desc of Loc

If you could get Night Viewing Aids even better

Some good ideas here...so more along the lines of a kinda "lesson teachy thing"? And yeah, our unit is pretty cheap and we dont have much in the way of fancy technology stuff. The observation thing sounds good, but I think that after a while the "more restless" of the lot will get a bit bored...and thats when all hell breaks loose lol

A lesson teachy thing is the best idea, they'll learn from it and appreciate it and prob go away on a high as they've learnt something new instead of just going through some exercise and not knowing whats going on.

Good luck anyway and tell us how it went ok.

BT. :D

You could do some form of Night Navigation or Orienteering. That'd teach good map skills, and be good competitive fun?

Just ask your local Military Establishment QM dept for help, we all dont mind helping out Cadets, may even arrange a demo for you !

if you have senior caedts bashad up, get your lot to do a ctr and retrieve any kit found lyeing about, always makes them happy

wilkie said:
if you have senior caedts bashad up, get your lot to do a ctr and retrieve any kit found lyeing about, always makes them happy
Haha, he's right, stealing kit makes everybody happy except the seniors. Don't tell the seniors however, and see the look on their faces when they get a bollocking for not having it xD

A 'Lamp Snatch' exercise is simple and teaches/tests basic skills. Place a lamp/light, which will be clearly visable, in a central location. Have some observers/patrollers in the area of the lamp/light (although not sat on top of it). Aim is for exercising troops to use night methods of movement, concealment, etc to get through the screen of observers/patrollers and arrive at the lamp unobserved.

Poker Patrol was always a favourite to teach night nav with our lot, although with more than just a few teams it can take a while.

Basically, each team is issued with a hand of playing cards and a set of RVs. They move round each RV in turn and can swap cards with those they find at the RV as per a game of poker.

The team with the best hand at the end wins a small prize (although I guess yellow handbags are out in this case?)

casper145 said:
Some good ideas here...so more along the lines of a kinda "lesson teachy thing"? And yeah, our unit is pretty cheap and we dont have much in the way of fancy technology stuff. The observation thing sounds good, but I think that after a while the "more restless" of the lot will get a bit bored...and thats when all hell breaks loose lol
Yes but they wont see the fist coming towards them either :twisted: !!!

Have fun :wink:

How about some "psychological conditioning"?

1. Take a Gerber and hook one end of an ED Det to it, leave in a wet field.
2. Produce report stating that all your little muckers are cured of kleptomania
3. Repeat for the rest of the ACF.

You could always do something like range card training for night. Not as glamorous as some of the previous posts but teaches solid skills in how to pull guard at night and notice differences in your area of responsibility.

Have some folks out in the field trying to sneak up on the position to attack range, that sort of thing.

How about the completely tactical stag behind a gimpy, but in shoulder, head cocked and looking down the sight but in reality you are fast asleep!! a real skill but could probably be learned in an hour - don't forget to teach the reply after being given a kick and are you asleep down there of shhhhhh I see movement out there..........................

The best sort of game in a sense that I have played is one where an SNCO runs off with a 10 minute head start and lays sticks in the shapes of arrows in his path, he can also put down multiple arrows in multiple directions of a single position but further down the wrong ones he can lay sticks in the shape of crosses. You then time teams of cadets to follow and catch the SNCO awhile following his path, even if you see him elsewhere you have to stick to the path he has set. if the cadets reach a cross they have to go back to the last junction of arrows and follow another. each time you follow an arrow, you push the sticks to one side the same for crosses so other people don't follow it accidentally. It is by far the best "game" I've played on a weekends exercise. Its a good thing to do awhile staff are setting up the next exercise if on a weekend.