Niggling PC probem (Windows XP)

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by SparkySteve, Sep 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got a problem with XP on startup, i get to the passcode-sign on page, and sometimes, about one in 5, it will take about 35minutes to load Windows. I have run RegEdit to try and find out what could be starting and causing the problem, but i have no idea.

It's not my Anti-Virus, it will be normally on the third of fourth start-up of the day. I have no idea what is causing it, all of my programs are legit.

Does anyone have any prior experiance or ideas as to what the problem could be?

Fujitsu AMILO Pro Laptop
    Windows XP (Up to date)
    Runs AVG Free Edition
    1gb RAM
    1.7GHZ Processor

2. msr

msr LE

Go here: http://www.mlin.net and download startupcpl standalone exe version

Then untick the programs which you think are unnecessary. You can always google them to make sure.

You should then be able to work out what it is that is causing the problem.

Which antivirus do you use?

msr

3. msr, i use RegEdit as my start-up checker and could find nothing that was news to me!

Anti-Virus is AVG Free Edition. It does start a system scan at 08:00 every day, but that only affects performance and start-up there and then.

4. 1. Have you tried logging on as "Guest"?

Does the symptom still recur?

2. When you log on when the delay has occurred, run MSCONFIG
    [Start >> Run >> type "MSCONFIG" (without the " ").

Then click the Start Up tab and look at the entries to see if any seem suspicious. Note the Start Up item name & enter it into Google. That should help identify malware.

3. When you start up & are getting the delay, is there any hard-disc activity? Is it whirring away continuously etc as if looking for a missing or corrupt file??

5. msr

msr LE

RegEdit? That's a tool to edit the registry. Much easier to use startupcpl.exe

msr

6. If all else fails, just format harddisk and reinstall the operating system. Computers work in mysterious ways and sometimes they just don't work.

:x

7. I have no guest log on.

Have run MSCONFIG, nothing there that i cannot verify/justify.

No action on the hard-disk except extremely intermittent, very quick flashes of activity.

Scabster, trying to avoid that!

msr, RegEdit lists startup programs on the registry, can be usefull at times!

8. msr

msr LE

I know, but they are in several places. StartupCPl brings it all into one easy double click ;)

msr

9. I concede, msr! :)

I have nothing here which i cannot attribute to dodgy start-up times:

Attached Files:

10. I think it's your windows defender / AVG conflict. Windows does not seem to like any other anti virus. I used to have AVG but had probs trying to connect to the net. I have disabled Windows defender and use Norton. When the prob occurs press ctrl alt del and it will bring up running progs. See whats going on there and also check preftech in your windows folder.

11. SparkySteve, i have had a similar problem before on XP.
    Every now and again it would take about 20 mins to get to the password entry screen.

To solve this i carried out a "System Restore".

I didnt lose any data that i had on my laptop as it is backed up during the process on the hard disc.

Hope this helps.

12. Deleted as 'Not Applicable' - it was probably just something that fixed a problem on my computer.

13. No Limiwire - not on the works Laptop!

Will disable Windows Defender. Can't see it doing any good anyway!

14. The best thing to do it a systems repair not a systems restore they are not the same thing.
    XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
    When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
    This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
    Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
    Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
    Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
    Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
    If you get files not found during the copying stage.

Blaster worm warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable the XP firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate after the firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the connection you use, Properties and there is a check box on the Advanced page.

KB 833330u Blaster removal

What You Should Know About the Sasser Worm and Its Variants

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011

Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP installation. Please note that a Repair Install using an Original pre service pack 1 or 2 XP CD used as the install media will remove SP1/SP2 respectively and service packs plus updates isssued after the service packs will need to be reapplied.
    Windows XP Service Pack 1

Service Pack 2

An option I highly recommend; is creating a Slipstreamed XP CD with SP1, SP2, etc. .

Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) Good

Another Slipstream step by step Better

AutoStreamer mirror link for AutoStreamer Best!!

Step by Step on AutoStreamer

Printable Repair Install step by step. repair.txt

XP Repair Install in PDF XPrepairinstall