Nigerian Scambaiting

I've recently re-taken up the sport of responding to Nigerian Scam emails. Whilst looking for tips, I stumbled across this:

Pretend you need the scammer to take part in a paid study involving communicating with penguins

Some classic bits I've picked out of the thread so far:

I can't believe he fell for it. I sent him a little email as chilly jimmy

Jimmy (The penguin) wrote:

HELLO

I AM CHILLY JIMMY

RESPOND

He responds!

Peter Smith (Lad) wrote:

Hello,

My name is Peter Smith.

Smith

And a bit of interest for my friend:

Jimmy wrote:

HELLO PETER SMITH

TODAY I EAT SISTER'S CHILDREN
DO YOU HAVE FAMILY
FAMILY VERY TASTY

RESPOND

Andy is very excited by the news!

Andy Pandy (the guy pretending to do the research) wrote:

Well, this is proving interesting. It appears that the Pen-O-Trans-O-Tron (the translation device for the penguin) is working. He has in fact eaten his sister's egg. Very odd behavior for a penguin, I must look into this. Still, you are doing an excellent job, please keep it up, you can't stop now! Who knows what this research may bring. I can tell you now, if we are making progress the way we are at the moment, you may even be entitled to �50,000 bonus. Well done!

Regards,

Andy Pandy
(Head of Penguin Intelligence - Bristol Zoo Research Department)

He has a family, and he likes sea food.

Peter Smith (Lad) wrote:

Dear Jimmy,

I eat prawn and fish today. I am married so l have family, l have four children.

Peter

And he's concerned for Jimmy's safety:

Peter (again) wrote:

My Dear Friend,
It is a pity you ate your sisters children so how did it happen please dont do that again okay.
You know you are my friend and l will not want you to be in trouble.

peter

Jimmy's reasoning:

Chilly Jimmy, the penguin wrote:

HELLO PETER SMITH

I WAS HUNGRY
SISTER'S EGG TASTE GOOD
ARE YOU PHILANTHROPIST

RESPOND

Andy makes sure Jimmy doesn't get into trouble, and adds a new word!

Andy Pandy wrote:

Don't worry about Jimmy. Turns out he wasn't fed this morning. Doesn't matter, there will be some more next year. Thank's to your work we have been able to add some extra words to the Pen-O-Trans-O-Tron. If you please, we would appreciate it if you could work the word homogenous into the your next email. I'm not sure how though...

Regards

Andy
Classic!

I thought about scambaiting a while back, but then realised that:

a - I don't have enough free time to be bothered with it

b - I have a life

c - I would be confirming my email address to be live, and therefore it would be passed around to other scammers

smudge67 said:
I thought about scambaiting a while back, but then realised that:

a - I don't have enough free time to be bothered with it

b - I have a life

c - I would be confirming my email address to be live, and therefore it would be passed around to other scammers

I've probably got more free time than most (I didn't when I used to work for a living) & it breaks up routine when writing essays. Also the email account I've attached to this account is only used for ARRSE & nothing else - which also suggests this site is regularly trawled by scammers.