Nigerian fraudsters on Autotrader?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Ravers, Aug 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm currently in the process of selling my Alfa (see previous thread about Chelsea tractors) and was contacted today by what appears to be a scam artist of some sort. The dodgy English has all the hallmarks of the usual Nigerian scam emails that do the rounds on a regular basis and it got my spidey sense tingling.

Here is a transcript of the emails:

To which I replied:

Hi Martin,
    The vehicle is completely as described in the ad. It has completed slightly less than the 13,000 miles advertised on Autotrader. You can come and view it one evening this week if you like. There are 9 photos of the car already on Autotrader which were taken last week. As I have already mentioned in the ad, the only reason I am selling it is because my wife is pregnant and I will need a bigger car. It drives beautifully and is a real head turner. I will certainly miss it once it's gone!

Kindest regards

Ravers

To which he replied:

Anyone had any experience of this? Definitely seems like a scam to me!

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You could have just given me the keys to it on Sunday, and saved yourself all this bother! :-D

3. Ravers

4. Ravers, a mate of mine got that question/response verbatim when he was selling a car here in Belfast. He thought it stank, ran it past me, and I agreed. Pop smoke and await another buyer is my advice to you.

5. Gremlin

Publish his full contact details in the NAAFI, sit back and watch?

6. Ravers

I would, but I fear I may be opening myself to a life of scam emails from the ****.

I was thinking of offering to drive the car to Dublin myself, I could do with a holiday actually, let's see how he worms his way out of that.

7. Gremlin

If you also manage to drop in that you have friends in the 'boyos' that you're planning to visit, so much the better!

8. How about " Do one you scamming nigger"?

9. Ravers

Just sent him this, I'll be interested to see his reply.

10. Ravers

Actually that works just as well.

11. Had one of these myself a year or so ago, only this one wanted to box it up and send it to Belgium - a right hand drive, 6-year old Mondeo to Belgium? Okaaaaaaaayy. So I mailed him back and said cool, as it happens I've got some.....errm......personal effects that need to go to Belgium for......uumm.......onward transit to the M East *wink, nudge* hey, maybe we could do a deal?? Oh, he mails back, and what would that be? Well, says I, can't really say but I'd be grateful if you would water them twice a day and chuck in the odd Pot Noodle.

Oh, and they only speak Romanian. I think.

Childish, I know, but I was really bored.

12. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

well, thats not beating around the bush for certain.

13. Think about it, he has a shipping agent 'we' can use. So why doesn't he do it directly and negotiate a discount? Is he a businessman?, who else would deal with a shipping agent? And the 'shipping agent' will send it to Lagos and your cheque will bounce. So you end up out of pocket for the car and a really hefty shipping fee as well.

And, even if it doesn't bounce there have been cases in the UK wherby the cheque was found to have been fraudulently obtained and the person cashing gets it deducted from their account, if they are lucky, and nicked into the bargain, if they are not!

It's a scam, bin it