Nigerian Bomb Victim Given Westminster Cathedral Send off

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Letterwritingman, Jul 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lovely sentiment..............anyone know if such a similar oportunity has been extended to the families of British Service Personnel?
  2. Just looking at LUL's "Conditions of Carriage"....
  3. Bet it wouldn't have got the go ahead if Parliament hadn't been in recess.
  4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Any link ?
  5. No reason why it shouldn't be. Westminster Cathedral (note - this is the Catholic cathedral, not the same as Westminster Abbey which you may be thinking of) is a working parish church as well as a cathedral (I've been to mass there one sunday when I was in the vicinity) and so does hold funerals. From their website:
    So were a Catholic member of HM forces who normally lived within the parish to die, their funeral may well be conducted in Westminster Cathedral.
  6. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

I used to go to the Cathedral a lot as a student, and know some of the clergy there well. Pdf is quite correct, any member of the congregation can request a wedding, baptism, or funeral in the Cathedral and it is usually accommodated. You can even arrange to have the (adult) members of the choir sing at a service as long as you pay the fees (they are all working professional musicians). The fact that the funeral was officiated by a bishop and sung by the full choir suggests it was a service that was arranged by the Cathedral Administrator rather than solely at the request of the family.

On the matter of Catholic servicemen, all that would be required would be a request by the family and if appropriate the arrangements would be made.