Nigeria launches 2 satellites

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DavidBOC, Aug 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I saw in the news today a story that Nigeria paid Russia to launch two Nigerian satellites today

Nigeria launches 2 new satellites into orbit | World news | - Houston Chronicle

Out of curiosity I looked up some foreign aid figures. It appears that over the past few years the UK taxpayer has provided about GBP 140-200 per year in aid to Nigeria. During the same period the US taxpayer has provided about USD 450-600 per year.

Doesn't it make all of you really proud that the Nigerian goverment has the strength and determination to move their technology forward despite the hunger disease and illiteracy in their country and to spend our tax dollars/pounds on such a worthwhile project.
  2. Blimey! Those emails must work then!
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Dear Trustd Friendd Cabina. I am gladly about your intrerest in Nigeria. My Cousin is Excellency Fred Dibnah - Di Fence minister minister who has overpaid been on Di Fence contract. He needs to place money in your bank account. You can earn $100,000,000 USD as fee for use. Please PM Bank details.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. £200 per year? That's outrageous.
  5. I amazed there are any Nigerians left there, they seem to be in Birmingham. The other week i was called a Raaaaaaasclart. I don't even know what that is.
  6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Nigeria is a country severely affected by weather problems, droughts, floods etc which play havoc with their agriculture and infrastructure.

Putting up satellites to attempt to mitigate this seems to me to be an appropriate way for a government to spend money.

Give a man a fish and he can feed his family for a day. Give him a net and he can feed them forever.

Its good to see an African country investing in proper infrastructure.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. From the article;
    Nigerian officials hope this launch goes better than the country's last. In May 2007, Nigeria launched its first communication satellite, built by a Chinese team and launched from a Chinese pad. NIGCOMSAT-1 was expected to provide phone, broadband Internet and broadcasting services in Africa's most populous country, but it was lost in space just over a year later. Authorities said a replacement satellite will be launched before the end of the year.

Standby for marked increase in phishing emails around Christmas time.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Teach a man to fish... and he'll spend all day drinking beer in a boat :thumright:

Agreed, its good to see an African country making an effort to improve life for their populorum, and not frittering away all the money on palaces and guns
  9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You were being slagged off by West Indians, not by Africans. It basically means that they thought you resembled the vaginal emissions from a woman's menstrual cycle!
  10. Ahem. Nigeria's two new satellites were designed and built in..... Guildford. So Nigeria paid a world-leading British company to produce a cutting edge product, which will also be controlled from Guildford with the data being shared. I don't see a problem myself! ::

The latest Earth observation satellite from UK small satellite manufacturer SSTL has successfully completed pre-launch tests and has been integrated with a Dnepr launch vehicle. NigeriaSat-2, one of the most advanced Earth observation small satellites ever to be launched, will lift-off from Yasny in southern Russia on 17 August, together with NigeriaSat-X, which was built under a training and development programme.

Designed and assembled at SSTL in Guildford, the satellites will provide the Nigerian National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) and the Disaster Monitoring Constellation (DMC) with very high resolution imaging capability. The highly agile NigeriaSat-2 is based on the latest SSTL 300 platform and will deliver multiple viewing modes to a maximum 2.5 m panchromatic (black and white) ground sample distance (GSD) and 5 m multispectral (colour) GSD across a 20 km swath width.

Press Release - SSTL
  11. Nigerians are by far the cleverest and most hard working Africans I have ever come across. Sadly, for a lack of straight opportunities this dynamism is put to work in scams, frauds and the alike. Anyone who ever has been to Lagos (it ought to be the most densely populated city on this planet) feels the buzz. The rest of the continent, short of RSA are asleep at the wheel and wait for handouts from the rest of the worlds, Nigerians are powering ahead against the odds and do really well for themselves, at least some do. This just shows the vision and resolve they have, despite all the infrastructure problems, pollution, corruption and the separation nutters in the Niger delta, well done Nigeria. Anyone who falls for their scams deserves to be ripped off.
  12. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Sit a homeless man down by a fire and he can stay warm all night.
    Set a homeless man on fire and he'll stay warm the rest of his life.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

thats a bit harsh calling him a tampon surely!

why do they need weather satellites when the world has hundreds up there? the french will sell stuff to anyone if you ask so you dont even need spy satellites
  14. oops! Sorry, I was trying to find the pound symbol and distracted myself, that amount is in millions.

PS love the cat pic
    • Like Like x 1
  15. They will be using sat tech to read your bank details and nab the cash from your account!!!!