Nigeria Hostage disaster

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Command_doh, Mar 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Has this already been done? Can't seem to find a thread on it. If so, please delete this.

Yesterday morning, I read 'UK and Nigeria deny attempt to rescue hostages) re: the oil workers held there. I went to bed early (diddums, eh? Early starts this week) and today there are a succession of articles about 'bungled raids', 'Diplomatic rows' (Italy not informed of rescue attempy by UK, Hammon fudging the cock up by saying 'seriously disrupted AQIM'. It feels very 'back-burner issue' though, and quite low key. Perhaps because of the weekend?

I noticed a coupld of choice phrases though:

The Telegraph was quick to point out yesterday that the SBS botched another rescue attempt last year (forget where). Hidden agenda?

This from Gen. Richards regarding Ansaru, but from reading the article, he could have been talking about the Nigerian Forces or their political leadership.

Doomed rescue launched amid fears hostages were about to be killed - Telegraph
    Nigerian militants 'kill seven hostages including Briton' - Telegraph
  2. 'Botched' 'doomed' 'bungled' and 'disaster'. All words written by twats with no ****ing idea whatsoever.

The hostages were going to be killed, this information led to someone green lighting the immediate action plan. The hostages are going to be executed so if you go in there's a tiny chance you may be able to rescue one or two and at the very least you get to drop the kidnappers and send a very clear message.

The operation was a success as far as I can see.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Two different events, the 'failure' was last year. The murder was last week, reportedly because the Nigerian press had identified British 'Royal Army' jet bombers at Abuja airport. The Muzzers panicked thinking another rescue mission was on the way and topped the hostages.

The MOD only say that Aircraft were assisting the Nigerians in transport to Mali
  4. I was commenting on last year's op.

This latest bit of nastiness is hardly surprising though seeing as this mob really do like to get violent early and take it to levels that would make a Mexican drug cartel wince.
  5. Misunderstood, sorry. Time to get out the junglies then. A couple of articles suggest the French taking on AQ in the French speaking desert areas and the UK concentrating on the English speaking jungly bits.
  6. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I should have clarified that the words been used are coming from the newspapers, and not mine. I did find it quite strange that they are taking a kind of perverse pleasure at the SBS's 'failings'. Reminds me of their similar mirth when the 'SBS threw their weapons away' and exfiltrated Iraq during the conflict. That was from all the papers at the time.