Nigel Wakefield

I am trying to find the final resting place of J/SSM Nigel Wakefield. Nigel Passed Off to 15/19H but sadly died in Cyprus following a traffic accident on 2 May 1977. Any help is appreciated.

ugly

LE
MoD Casualty office should have details of his grave
Graves01452 712612 ext 6304/6442/7659

Surname​
WAKEFIELD
Forenames/Initials​
Nigel Graham
Rank​
Tpr
Service​
Army
Service Number​
Regiment/Corps​
15/19 HUSSARS
Date of Birth12 August 1959
Age17
Date of Death​
02 May 1977
Cemetery NameDhekelia Military Cemetery
Cemetery AddressCyprus
DHEKELIA
Grave Section14
Grave RowB
Grave Number​
Headstone/Markerstone​
Included on Armed Forces MemorialYes
Included on Roll of HonourYes

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Surname​
WAKEFIELD
Forenames/Initials​
Nigel Graham
Rank​
Tpr
Service​
Army
Service Number​
Regiment/Corps​
15/19 HUSSARS
Date of Birth12 August 1959
Age17
Date of Death​
02 May 1977
Cemetery NameDhekelia Military Cemetery
Cemetery AddressCyprus
DHEKELIA
Grave Section14
Grave RowB
Grave Number​
Headstone/Markerstone​
Included on Armed Forces MemorialYes
Included on Roll of HonourYes
Pardon my ignorance, but how come he is buried in Cyprus? I understand he died there in a RTA but wouldn't he have been repatriated for burial in the UK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pardon my ignorance, but how come he is buried in Cyprus? I understand he died there in a RTA but wouldn't he have been repatriated for burial in the UK?

Was not until the South Atlantic campaign _ Falklands (1982) that bodies were repatriated back to the UK, usually prior to that both Active service and other deaths (Injuries / Illness / Accidents etc) were interned in country of death

Archie

Repatriations only became the norm (if requested) from the time of the Falklands War.
Prior to that, the norm was that servicemen were buried in situ or the nearest military cemetery.
For example Aden casualties were buried in one of the two military cemeteries in Aden although more recently a number have been exhumed and repatriated at the request of relatives.
Soldiers killed in Borneo were originally buried in Singapore - in Pasir Panjang Military Cemetery but in the 70s (or 80's) their remains were exhumed and re-buried in a separate area adjacent to Kranji War Cemetery

Edit: Some soldiers in Borneo may have been buried in Terendak Mil Cemetery, Malaysia if their base was there - Some Australian soldiers killed killed in Vietnam were also buried in Terendak.

Edited: Nearly all the Australian servicemen and dependents buried at Terandak were exhumed and repatriated to Australia in 2015. An exception was WO Badcoe VC whose family- according to his wiki entry- requested that he should remain in the Military Cemetery there.

Edited for memory fail; it should read Major Badcoe VC

Last edited:

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks, chaps. Everyday a school day and all that.

Latest Threads