Nigel Farage for PM

#81
Lets nail the expenses one. MEP's do not get expenses, they get allowances. The cash arrives whether they want it or not. Nigel Farage, odious little creep that he is, does not abuse his expenses.
 

Alsacien

LE
Moderator
#82
For the benefit of Jagman, the Conservative Party policy on Europe is not difficult to find, neither is it difficult to understand:

http://www.conservatives.com/Policy/Where_we_stand/Europe.aspx

Specifics of interest are:

"A Conservative Government would also introduce a new law, in the form of a United Kingdom Sovereignty Bill, to make it clear that ultimate authority stays in this country, in our Parliament."

and:

A Conservative Government will address the worst of these problems by negotiating for three specific guarantees over powers that we believe should reside with Britain, not the EU:

1. A full opt-out from the Charter of Fundamental Rights (CFR).
2. Greater protection against EU encroachment into the UK's Criminal Justice System.
3. Restoration of national control over social and employment legislation.

Which is why they will be getting my vote (as usual).
 

Alsacien

LE
Moderator
#83
CQMS said:
Lets nail the expenses one. MEP's do not get expenses, they get allowances. The cash arrives whether they want it or not. Nigel Farage, odious little creep that he is, does not abuse his expenses.
Actually they get allowances and expenses - rules and regulations apply to both.
 
#84
cpunk said:
jagman said:
I did not say the BNP are wonderful, I said their election to the EU Parliament has a positive effect on UK politics, two very different things.
Well, what you said was that the election of two convicted criminal racists on an anti-immigration platform had somehow proved that complaining about immigration is not racist. I personally don't think that being concerned by or complaining about immigration is racist at all but I'm not sure how electing racists to the European parliament proves that.
Because they helped force the issue onto the television and forced mainstream politicians to acknowledge that immigration concerns on the part of the public are infact reasonable instead of simply being able to dismiss concern about immigration as rascist.
Prior to the EU elections public concerns were dismissed as un-PC and only ofconcernto rascists and bigots.
Now both Labour and Conservative publically acknowledge that the public have a right to be disgruntled.
Had a million or so people not voted BNP (and no, I'm not one of them) and forced the issue then the issue would continue to be ignored.

ottar said:
jagman said:
I did not say the BNP are wonderful, I said their election to the EU Parliament has a positive effect on UK politics, two very different things.
How? They had five minutes of airtime immediately after being elected. Most people disagreed with everything they said because they don't wish to be seen supporting a pair of odious little racists. Now, they're as noticeable as a mouse fart in a hurricane.

What laws or policy have they changed?
As replied above.
I would say the tightening (insufficient but its a start) of immigration rules is a policy their election has influenced.
I don't care if the BNP disapears completely to be honest, if all they have achieved is to help put immigration on the politicalagenda then they have served their purpose.
 
#85
Alsacien said:
For the benefit of Jagman, the Conservative Party policy on Europe is not difficult to find, neither is it difficult to understand:

http://www.conservatives.com/Policy/Where_we_stand/Europe.aspx

Specifics of interest are:

"A Conservative Government would also introduce a new law, in the form of a United Kingdom Sovereignty Bill, to make it clear that ultimate authority stays in this country, in our Parliament."

and:

A Conservative Government will address the worst of these problems by negotiating for three specific guarantees over powers that we believe should reside with Britain, not the EU:

1. A full opt-out from the Charter of Fundamental Rights (CFR).
2. Greater protection against EU encroachment into the UK's Criminal Justice System.
3. Restoration of national control over social and employment legislation.

Which is why they will be getting my vote (as usual).
Thankyou Alsacien.
I shall read the link with interest. However the main point remains, they have no intention of allowing the electorate its say on EU membership.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top