Nifty Fifty

Along with 3 mates, have decided to enter the Nifty Fifty moped endurance race series. Am I the first Arrser or have others boldly gone before?
Need to get either a 2 stroke manual up to 50cc or a 4 stroke up to 100cc. Cosmetics are unimportant it just needs to go (relatively) fast. Has anyone got anyone got experience od Derbi/Aprilia/Gilera trial bikes in 50cc or of a Chinese 4 stroke that DOESN'T fall to pieces?
Saw some great racers today that were Chinese trail chassis (SKYTEAM?) but with Honda 90 supercub engine. Could be the way forward...

I took part in a 24 hour moped race in cyprus - the machines that kept going were hondas. In particular the moped of choice out there is was the honda Chappy

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I used to race in a schools go kart class that was powered by C90 engines.

Absolutely solid motor and gearbox. Survived many seasons of kids thrashing the **** out of it, with little to no maintenance.

I rented a C90 in Malaysia some years back and it was a brilliant little machine.

Definitely the way to go if reliability and longevity are what you need.

But if it’s speed you want then it’s the Aprilia RX50 without a doubt.

It’s the same lump and box as the RS50 which was the mini moto gp bike. A mate had a de-restricted one and it would just about hit 70 in a cloud of noisy blue 2 stroke smoke. 125 4 strokes struggled to keep up with it.

With some minor fettling you could quite easily hit licence losing speeds.

Also the RX50 is a proper sized bike that adults can ride.

Good luck finding one. They were as rare as hens teeth when they were new, let alone now.

Cheers for replies gents. The guys that had the 90 cub engined bikes said as long as you don't tune them they are unburstable. The common modification was a bash blate fixed at the front as the carb and air filter stick out on the front of the engine.
One guy said if you want enjoy it get a 4 stroke, but get a 2 stroke to win.
There were a couple of DT50mx yamahas in it, I had one back in 1980something when I was sixteen. I can tune and fix them, but sadly they are now 80s retro cool and go for big money.
I was told that Chinese metal was like silver cheese....

C 90's are bullet proof.
You only have to look at what the majority of people around the world use.
Not exactly quick but it won't let you down.

oddly enough this came up on my facebook feed
1553383875257.png

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was told that Chinese metal was like silver cheese....
I had a Chinese 125 which was actually alright.

It was an SMC YB125.

Basically a hodgepodge of copied parts from more well known bikes cobbled together.

Fake Honda engine in a fake KTM frame.

It looked cool and from what I gather the factory that churned it out makes parts for BMW bikes.

The main issue was general quality control. It had been assembled very badly. Things that should’ve been tight weren’t, there were nuts and bolts that should’ve been anodised and weren’t and all electrics and switch gear was the cheapest shite you could imagine.

A good bike if you could be arsed to take it completely apart and rebuild it with loctite.

It also rusted very badly and one of the forks turned gold while the other stayed black.

But I paid 900 quid for it brand new and it served me well as a commmuter bike for a few years.

One of the Linfan bikes was in repair yesterday as chain guide weld had failed and it just fell off.
Ravers there was an Aprilia running yesterday, it was hard to believe it was a 50cc,blowing away 4 stroke 100s.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just been nostalgically looking at RX50s.

Turns out there was an updated version from 2006 onwards.

It looks a lot different.

Not sure if it’s the same bike with different plastics and lights, but the one I’m on about is the old 1997 bike with the square headlight.

I couldn't be sure, as this one had a number board instead of a light unit. All bikes have to have glass/plastic lenses removed for track safety.
Need to get a bigger van now as dirt bike wheel base too long for mine. Gonna be an expensive journey I think. Perhaps I should get a bigger boat while I'm at it and really get rinsed in style.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Some of the Korean motorcycles are well engineered
Hyosung seem to stand up to abuse well
Honda melodys still come up as cubs have rather risen in value
a mate got a chinese monkey bike and lobbed a c90 engine in it
way to go

Cubs certainly have gone up. Also 20 Yr old Japanese 125s go for more than brand new Chinese ones,and 1980s 50 trail bikes are retro so they are silly money. What's the spares/dealer network like with the Hyosung? Have you owned one?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Cubs certainly have gone up. Also 20 Yr old Japanese 125s go for more than brand new Chinese ones,and 1980s 50 trail bikes are retro so they are silly money. What's the spares/dealer network like with the Hyosung? Have you owned one?
a few friends own them and have no problems, spares are sorted by the dealer network

https://www.hyosungspares.co.uk/
most likely set up with American money and guidance, like Hyundai and Kia
part of a huge organisation
KR Motors - Wikipedia

Along with 3 mates, have decided to enter the Nifty Fifty moped endurance race series. Am I the first Arrser or have others boldly gone before?
Need to get either a 2 stroke manual up to 50cc or a 4 stroke up to 100cc. Cosmetics are unimportant it just needs to go (relatively) fast. Has anyone got anyone got experience od Derbi/Aprilia/Gilera trial bikes in 50cc or of a Chinese 4 stroke that DOESN'T fall to pieces?
Saw some great racers today that were Chinese trail chassis (SKYTEAM?) but with Honda 90 supercub engine. Could be the way forward...
ARE we talking, race track or dirt track/motox endurance racing? That really would determine what to go for. I would look at a couple of the results from past seasons to see what machines gave the best results. Also take in the running costs as well.

ARE we talking, race track or dirt track/motox endurance racing? That really would determine what to go for. I would look at a couple of the results from past seasons to see what machines gave the best results. Also take in the running costs as well.
Full on moto x track complete with table top jumps. I'll try and post a you tube link. Trail bikes soaked the bumps up well, while modified c90 cubs were really quick and reliable.

In that case, I'd avoid anything classic like Garrelli etc. A C90 might be a good alternative, still available spares. (Dave Silvers m/cs) change the rear shocks, swing arm and front forks. A new set of tyres should last a hole year.
And for the comedy side, top box and leave on the leg guards.......

In that case, I'd avoid anything classic like Garrelli etc. A C90 might be a good alternative, still available spares. (Dave Silvers m/cs) change the rear shocks, swing arm and front forks. A new set of tyres should last a hole year.
And for the comedy side, top box and leave on the leg guards.......
One guy had a C90 with the front end of a xr75 Honda kids dirt bike on it. Went really well, they just had to rein themselves in on the jumps to make it survive.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Effendi Weapons, Equipment & Rations 14
CptDanjou Shooting, Hunting and Fishing 42
Soldier_Why Aviation 2