Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nicola Sturgeon - whither the SNP

Is Sturgeon's time as First Minister of Scotland coming to an end

• Yes - she is dooomed

Votes: 132 48.9%
  • No - this is just a storm in a tea cup

Votes: 25 9.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 35 13.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 78 28.9%

• Total voters

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And here is Tory leader Ruth Davidson
0_BUFFALO-RUTH-DJ6.jpg

With a real live bovine

Two fundamental questions need to be answered. Does Wee Nippy take it up the tradesman's and would @don't tell him pike?

Voted don't care - although I would rather she was no longer our (The English) problem.
Disagree with the bit in block. She's the Scottish problem, along with all the Mel Gibson fan club. I've been resident here, Engurland, for over fifty years. The union between us, almost *300 years, has been beneficial to all. Since the 2014 ref, which the gnats lost, I've never heard so much anti Scottish rhetoric. This means the gnats, in six years, have shat on one of the most successful partnerships in history. They don't need the mess Webley, they're doing okay without it!

Solution, not simple. Scotland was always a Labour heartland, until a certain lot as I understand it, gave them their own *parliament back. Also iirc divided it up so the gnats couldn't win. Well done. A very well executed plan.
The only way through this is daunting. Persuade Scots on the other side of The Wall to stop voting for the gnats. What, you mean vote for the tories?!!! That's what I meant when I said it would be daunting. How do you achieve that? Way, way above my pension grade. I did get in touch with my MP, after I heard one of dc's suggestions, leading up to 2014. He, dc, was asking Scots south of The Wall to try and persuade those north of The Wall, to stay in the Union. A definite no no. Hell I'm in my late 70's, a short arrsed barsteward and still stroppy if someone annoys me!! I'm aware the gnats lost, but in my opinion dc's remarks could well have made it closer than it was. Bed calls. Night all.
* &* Paliament went to Westminster in 1707. 1999 when the Scottish Parliament was once more established.

To add to my previous post.

The Sleazy Salmond affair is not going to disappear or be swept under the carpet.

An inquiry into the Scottish government’s investigation of Alex Salmond has launched legal action to obtain sensitive evidence held back from the trial of the former first minister.

The Crown Office has been given a week to turn over text and WhatsApp messages between senior SNP officials and members of the Scottish government and documents linked to the leak of sexual misconduct allegations against Mr Salmond.

The knives, swords and battleaxes are currently on route to Macdonald Armouries to be finely sharpened.

And just for sh1ts & g1ggles

The risk of ice falling from the cables of the Queensferry Crossing was highlighted to the Scottish government while the bridge was being designed.

The potential for a problem was identified during the design phase of the project but it was decided that “appropriate operational practices” would work around any problems.

Yep - Chunks of ice falling nearly 700 feet is quite an easy thing to work around.

Disagree with the bit in block. She's the Scottish problem, along with all the Mel Gibson fan club. I've been resident here, Engurland, for over fifty years. The union between us, almost *300 years, has been beneficial to all. Since the 2014 ref, which the gnats lost, I've never heard so much anti Scottish rhetoric. This means the gnats, in six years, have shat on one of the most successful partnerships in history. They don't need the mess Webley, they're doing okay without it!

Solution, not simple. Scotland was always a Labour heartland, until a certain lot as I understand it, gave them their own *parliament back. Also iirc divided it up so the gnats couldn't win. Well done. A very well executed plan.
The only way through this is daunting. Persuade Scots on the other side of The Wall to stop voting for the gnats. What, you mean vote for the tories?!!! That's what I meant when I said it would be daunting. How do you achieve that? Way, way above my pension grade. I did get in touch with my MP, after I heard one of dc's suggestions, leading up to 2014. He, dc, was asking Scots south of The Wall to try and persuade those north of The Wall, to stay in the Union. A definite no no. Hell I'm in my late 70's, a short arrsed barsteward and still stroppy if someone annoys me!! I'm aware the gnats lost, but in my opinion dc's remarks could well have made it closer than it was. Bed calls. Night all.
* &* Paliament went to Westminster in 1707. 1999 when the Scottish Parliament was once more established.
To me the rot started when North Sea oil started to come on tap in the mid/late seventies, especially after the 1973 OPEC affair when they hiked oil prices after the Yom Kipur home game. Suddenly it was all "Och aye, its our oil, no the feckin English" and its being downhill ever since. I remember there was a vote in Scotland for Devolution in 1978 by the Callaghan government but it was rejected until Blair resurrected it in 1998.

I had never come across any real Jock chipiness before that. I always remember the happy days at Lisburn sitting outside our portacabin accomodation in the sun with the 12 Int guys with the TV outside in armchairs, Jocks and English watching the home international, beers in hand. The result was always predictiable. Hamish would score the first goal and the Jocks would be in full flow with 'Flower of Scotland' until the English knocked five further goals. I always knew then what the Highlanders must have felt like after Culloden.

Talking of the 1745, I remember in 1976 when Scotland not only won for once but thrashed us in a re-run of Bannockburn and sacked London. I can always remember the images of red beared, blue painted Jocks, naked except for a kilt and TOS swarming all over the fountains in Trafalgar square. One of them, having taken of too much special brew managed to kill himself by diving from the top of the fountain into about a foot of water.

As I said in a previous thread, Scots who want to keep the Union need to form a new Unionist party seperate from the Tories and Labour. Its your only hope. If Scotland opt's to end the Union it will be a once ever decision. Once it is done there would be no option of coming back.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

What folk, even Scots, tend to forget is that for many years The Unionist Party was actually the leading force in Scotland.

Ironically it ended when it merged with the Conservatives.

“It is hard to see how any democratic Government should allow itself to be overruled by an unelected body like the Commission especially when the health of its citizens is involved in a pandemic.”

Politics before people...
Or deferred gratification.

To me the rot started when North Sea oil started to come on tap in the mid/late seventies, especially after the 1973 OPEC affair when they hiked oil prices after the Yom Kipur home game. Suddenly it was all "Och aye, its our oil, no the feckin English" and its being downhill ever since. I remember there was a vote in Scotland for Devolution in 1978 by the Callaghan government but it was rejected until Blair resurrected it in 1998.

I had never come across any real Jock chipiness before that. I always remember the happy days at Lisburn sitting outside our portacabin accomodation in the sun with the 12 Int guys with the TV outside in armchairs, Jocks and English watching the home international, beers in hand. The result was always predictiable. Hamish would score the first goal and the Jocks would be in full flow with 'Flower of Scotland' until the English knocked five further goals. I always knew then what the Highlanders must have felt like after Culloden.

Talking of the 1745, I remember in 1976 when Scotland not only won for once but thrashed us in a re-run of Bannockburn and sacked London. I can always remember the images of red beared, blue painted Jocks, naked except for a kilt and TOS swarming all over the fountains in Trafalgar square. One of them, having taken of too much special brew managed to kill himself by diving from the top of the fountain into about a foot of water.

As I said in a previous thread, Scots who want to keep the Union need to form a new Unionist party seperate from the Tories and Labour. Its your only hope. If Scotland opt's to end the Union it will be a once ever decision. Once it is done there would be no option of coming back.
I think you’ll find that the chippiness you describe wasn’t driven by North Sea oil, although I acknowledge that it has been used as a rallying cry.

That chipiness has been on the rise throughout Europe as part of the EUs promotion of regionalism to undermine National states.

Look at the construct of the EU. There’s no democratic accountability, yet its acolytes can be rewarded with EU commissioner jobs.

I suspect we’ll see Macron trying to court Sturgeon, but fail to grasp the range he’ll do to France. But of course, macron doesn’t care too much about France.

Sounds like the crew of The Vital Spark scribbling all over these pages.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Persuade Scots on the other side of The Wall to stop voting for the gnats. What, you mean vote for the tories?!!! That's what I meant when I said it would be daunting. How do you achieve that?

Not impossible though. You only have to look at the Red Wall seats Labour lost to Boris to know that the electorate can vote differently than expected.

Never say never.

Latest Threads