Votes: 48 13.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 99 28.4%

• Total voters

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We're all aware of the medical and societal problems caused by the legal drug of alcohol. I'm pretty sure if we could turn the clock back and regulate the use of alcohol then society, as a whole, would approve on clamping down. Your suggestion to legalise a whole other set of drugs seems to me to be just creating an even vaster set of problems and issues.
Prohibition has a long history of working - not. You may not have noticed but prohibition of drugs is not working. All it has done is criminalised citizens and created vast profits for criminal enterprises.

It is reasonable for society to seek to limit the harm done to a few by alcohol and drug abuse it is not reasonable for society to stop me from having the occasional beer or glass of bubbly because a minority can’t handle it. By the same taken it’s not reasonable to stop me using cannabis, cocaine or MDMA.

I wonder who isn’t going to get £250 million, or if it is new money where it will come from?
The SNP have been sitting on considerable sums meant for business support during covid plus money sent to assist in decladding buildings (not a single penny spent). Plenty of money sent from Westmonster, just not being spent on what it was allocated for.

Prohibition has a long history of working - not. You may not have noticed but prohibition of drugs is not working. All it has done is criminalised citizens and created vast profits for criminal enterprises.

It is reasonable for society to seek to limit the harm done to a few by alcohol and drug abuse it is not reasonable for society to stop me from having the occasional beer or glass of bubbly because a minority can’t handle it. By the same taken it’s not reasonable to stop me using cannabis, cocaine or MDMA.
There we'll have to agree to disagree. Alcoholics cost us taxpayers an absolute fortune, not to mention the damage to families, alcohol fuelled violence in our country is shocking!
You'll note that the few countries that have legalised drugs, for example Canada and some US states with cannabis haven't found it to be the panacea you suggest. Canada in particular has found that the licensed shops selling it have poor sales, the reason being that legal cannabis doesn't provide the high that the illegal versions (like skunk) do, so the potheads are still buying illegally, nothing much has changed.

In my view drugs should be treated like alcohol. Taxed and regulated but basically a matter of personal choice.

Drug and alcohol abuse should be treated as medical problems.

Prohibition doesn’t work. It just creates criminals and hands profits to criminal enterprises.

Some drugs would continue to be banned because there is no safe use of them. That said very few people would want crack cocaine and other poisons if they had access to clean cocaine, cannabis and ecstasy/MDMA.
It would encourage some people to experimentation to whatever drugs are legalised/decriminalised and could increase health problems. It would also reduce the price of certain drugs and this could also lead to more experimentation and this will again lead to the vicious circle.

Treatment centres have been cut massively, as I posted previously, and will take years to get back to where they were.

There is no guarantee, that if they set up injection sites, that individuals would use them.

Fat POM

War Hero

I read an article in The Times a couple of years ago, they estimated that there were between 3 and 4 million casual drug users in Britain. Hard working people who get "coked up" on a Friday and/or Saturday, clean up Sunday and go back to work on a Monday. The same way as many used to get pissed up on a weekend (or every night in BAOR)
I used to see endless drug addicts when working with Strathclyde Police. Prescribed methadone but poly drug abusers. A life of petty crime to fund the habit.

We need to differentiate between social users and problem abusers.

FWIW, I would legalise and decriminalise drug use and deal with the abusers as a medical issue. Stop criminals making a fortune and eradicate the crime committed by addicts, mainly theft and prostitution.

Still, it's much easier to aportion blame than seek solutions, isn't it?

I read an article in The Times a couple of years ago, they estimated that there were between 3 and 4 million casual drug users in Britain. Hard working people who get "coked up" on a Friday and/or Saturday, clean up Sunday and go back to work on a Monday. The same way as many used to get pissed up on a weekend (or every night in BAOR)
I used to see endless drug addicts when working with Strathclyde Police. Prescribed methadone but poly drug abusers. A life of petty crime to fund the habit.

We need to differentiate between social users and problem abusers.

FWIW, I would legalise and decriminalise drug use and deal with the abusers as a medical issue. Stop criminals making a fortune and eradicate the crime committed by addicts, mainly theft and prostitution.

Still, it's much easier to aportion blame than seek solutions, isn't it?
Now we've seriously derailed the thread, which is about slagging off wee nicky and the muppets ;-) There are a couple of threads about illegal drug use and solutions for it.

HE117

LE
Now we've seriously derailed the thread, which is about slagging off wee nicky and the muppets ;-) There are a couple of threads about illegal drug use and solutions for it.
Well yes and no..

The wholsale retreat of common sense and decency from local and increasingly national government is probably the significant factor in dealing with this and other cronic social issues. Our current political model is far too sensitive to minority issues and seems incapable of developing and deploying effective remedies.

There is a wholesale lack of integrity in many areas of public life, from short term politiking goaded by irresponsible media or chumocracies operating for wholly selfish interests. The Scottish political scene is wholly toxic and attracting little interest from anyone of value. The rise of the muppetocracy has been going for years, powered by a wholly mendacius attack on competetence and the power to recognise it. This needs to change, and quickly.

There is a very disctinctly romantic streak in the Scottish character that can lead to great things or utter disaster. It would seem that the consumption of mind bending substances is part of this. We as Scots have always recognised this and need to face it. It will always be with us, and we need to be able to live with it. Medicalising the issue is not the solution, neither is the wholly legal route. We need to be sparing with our sympathy and be very wary of selfish interests exploiting our national weakness..!

Slime

LE
Something this thread deviation has shown is that a lot of people think the proverbial ‘smack heads’ are the issue here.

While those with a seriously damaging habit, and who are taking drugs like heroin are an issue, they are very much the tiny minority.

One thing that is a ever recurring thing is that when people go to a rehab they expect to be in amongst ‘smackheads’ or the type of person seen asleep on a park bench in the daytime.

They think ‘they’ will be the odd one out as they are a normal person.
Once in rehab they discover the majority of service users (more so in alcohol rehab) are self employed people, plus a good smattering of pensioners (legally prescribed drugs), housewife’s, teachers, docross, nurses, flight attendants, drivers, factory workers, ex forces, shop workers etc etc.
They discover the majority of people with an addiction function people well for the majority of their life, and those outside of their immediate family may have no idea they use illegal drugs or even have an addiction.

Its funny to also stop and think that a small minority of people think those with an addiction are the scum of the earth, and shouldn’t get any help…………as long of course if it’s an addiction they disapprove of :j
If the addiction is smoking regular cigarettes or going to the gym then they think that’s entirely different :)
There was always an amusing situation to see service users at alcohol rehabs note that some staff were unable to give up smoking cigarettes!

There is also the idea that legalising current illegal drugs will make things better, but that the legal drug alcohol makes things worse.

Sadly for Scotland, while they have done virtually nothing to stop illegal drug abuse, or to get people into rehab that also and obviously means they haven’t helped the large numbers addicted to prescription drugs, legal cigarettes or the legal drug alcohol.

The person off their face 24/7 and jobless won’t have too much effect on the community overall, the job types I listed above missing days off work each week make up far larger numbers, and affect those around them in the community more.

Just a few ramblings to add to the mix.

A few? There are literally tens of thousands of crimes committed under the influence of alcohol every single day, from drink driving to wife beating.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A few? There are literally tens of thousands of crimes committed under the influence of alcohol every single day, from drink driving to wife beating.
There are literally millions of people who enjoy alcohol responsibly.

There are many behaviours that most people enjoy responsibly but a few people abuse to their own and other people’s detriment.

Music if played too loudly can be ruin people’s lives.

Some people abuse the ‘privilege’ of driving.

There are literally millions of people who enjoy alcohol responsibly.

There are many behaviours that most people enjoy responsibly but a few people abuse to their own and other people’s detriment.

Music if played too loudly can be ruin people’s lives.

Some people abuse the ‘privilege’ of driving.

So what? You said a few. Only it turns out it's far from a few, a hell of a lot of crimes are committed under the influence of the regulated and taxed drug.
**** knows why you think coke would be fairly harmless, I take it you have never had a scrap with some high as a kite?

It’s still about her and her ilk. In 2015 she gave the ‘addiction’ problem to the NHS and removed £15 million from the budget. Meanwhile the NHS were already cutting back on their budgets.
The treatment was destined to fail - there was no funding. Sturgeon and the likes of Blackford remain comfortable in blaming years of tory austerity yet manage to run Scotland at £15 billion in debit.
The SG are wasting money on favours, ‘nationalist’ projects, poor education and failed business ventures.
Scotland is run by duffers propped up by plastic republicans. Together they have split the nation in half by using the ‘hate the tories’ card. Any initiative from Westminster is dismissed as a matter of course.
Sturgeon is the prime mover in this miden, what mess will we have when her regime fractures?

I suggest it hasn't worked because successive governments have never provided the correct resources nor been sufficiently robust in identifying supply chains and those in charge and preferred instead to focus on the lower hanging fruit.

IMO it's the focus that's wrong, that and having no balls.

Fat POM

War Hero
Sorry, didn't make it clear, the wee witch is busy pointing the finger instead of trying to solve the problem.

No Vogon poetry for this one:)

Does Sturgeon speak gaelic?
Not as far as I know. Born in Ayrshire I believe, so certainly not a natural Gaelic speaker.
Then again, I left almost 50 years ago, so I probably don t count.
Wottapisser.
I too left over 50 years ago. Going a bit further back to secondary school, in Glasgow. Parents were given the option for bairns to be taught Latin or Gaelic. No one took up the offer for the Gaelic.

Truxx

LE
Well yes and no..

The wholsale retreat of common sense and decency from local and increasingly national government is probably the significant factor in dealing with this and other cronic social issues. Our current political model is far too sensitive to minority issues and seems incapable of developing and deploying effective remedies.

There is a wholesale lack of integrity in many areas of public life, from short term politiking goaded by irresponsible media or chumocracies operating for wholly selfish interests. The Scottish political scene is wholly toxic and attracting little interest from anyone of value. The rise of the muppetocracy has been going for years, powered by a wholly mendacius attack on competetence and the power to recognise it. This needs to change, and quickly.

There is a very disctinctly romantic streak in the Scottish character that can lead to great things or utter disaster. It would seem that the consumption of mind bending substances is part of this. We as Scots have always recognised this and need to face it. It will always be with us, and we need to be able to live with it. Medicalising the issue is not the solution, neither is the wholly legal route. We need to be sparing with our sympathy and be very wary of selfish interests exploiting our national weakness..!
Quite rightly you identify lack of integrity in public life.

But for me the lack of integrity is endemic. When ordinary folks see no harm whatsoever in getting off their faces before going out on the lash, even though the suppliers are into everything from scamming grannies out of their hard earned to people trafficking and slavery then it matters not one jot how good bad or indifferent politicians and their ilk are.

Latest Threads