Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nicola Sturgeon - whither the SNP

Is Sturgeon's time as First Minister of Scotland coming to an end

• Yes - she is dooomed

Votes: 138 49.6%
  • No - this is just a storm in a tea cup

Votes: 26 9.4%
  • Don't know

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 79 28.4%

• Total voters

Whining Civvy

War Hero
That's important reality, the SNP have no real competition for votes as Conservative would never be considered by many, Labour have collapsed well past the point of no likely return and the Greens are as much of a farce as always.
SNP voters aren't necessarily voting SNP as they want independence (some are of course), but because they see

I understand that Saint Nic is contemplating whether to ban Boris from visiting (her) Scotland.
I’m sensing that Boris is clever enough to keep his distance.

Maybe a few flights of vaccines into Orkney, Shetland and the other Islands may sent instead.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I understand that Saint Nic is contemplating whether to ban Boris from visiting (her) Scotland.

Given he's only made 1 visit since he became PM.

2 if you count his failed holiday.

How can she ban a UK citizen from travelling within the UK? Except for COVID restrictions.

I'm trying to figure out how a First Minister of a devolved assembly can actually stop the Prime Minister of her country from visiting if he wants to. I would love to see Boris tell her to get back in her box. The nodding and blinking would be off the scale!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Before we enter into a debate on this, what's your source?

Before we enter into a debate on this, what's your source?

its being reported in the daily express - as an aside BoJo severely outranks wee shitey and ALL official business the PM does is implicitly important and critical to the whole of the UK which, no matter how much the SNP want their independence, Scotland is a constituent part of

its being reported in the daily express - as an aside BoJo severely outranks wee shitey and ALL official business the PM does is implicitly important and critical to the whole of the UK which, no matter how much the SNP want their independence, Scotland is a constituent part of
Treat the daily express like the National or wings over Scotland.

They target the dim witted .

The daily express has been advocating the worst winter on record for the last twenty years. The worst I seem to get is a bit of sleet.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Obviously nobody has actually read the report before spouting their indignation

An SNP spokesman said: "The Prime Minister is always welcome to visit Scotland."

The Daily Fails take..........The SNP has accused Boris Johnson of showing 'total disrespect and disregard' to coronavirus travel restrictions ahead of the Prime Minister's expected trip to Scotland this week.

Obviously nobody has actually read the report before spouting their indignation

An SNP spokesman said: "The Prime Minister is always welcome to visit Scotland."
And the whole paragraph says

"An SNP spokesman also took a swipe at the Prime Minister, saying: "The Prime Minister is always welcome to visit Scotland.

“The law in Scotland requires all work that can be done at home, to be done at home and Scottish ministers are not engaging in visits in line with the current Stay at Home regulations and the requirement to stay local.

"So, it's clear the PM must think the Union is really in peril if he considers his visit to be so essential."

However it is the media, and the SNP takes a swipe at anyone who doesnt follow their dogma. Look at the fuss over Wills and Kate visiting. Everyone ignored the SNP whining then as well.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the long run, I would move to England if Scotland became independent and I bet many more people and businesses would do the same.

It may not be quite that easy.

We wouldn't need more unemployed/unemployable foreigners littering the streets and would be a bit more selective about who we let in.

If you are any good at fruit picking, you could always put your name down for a two month work visa.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the long run, I would move to England if Scotland became independent and I bet many more people and businesses would do the same. The SNP could be independent with a population of poor people and people with no drive to succeed, and would be in a dire state financially.

Isn't that pretty much the state of large parts of Scotland anyway, as part of the UK? Anyone with talent or drive tends to drive their talent south, and succeed there rather than at home, it seems. Hardly a winning strategy for a newly independent, wee polis state...

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
It may not be quite that easy.

We wouldn't need more unemployed/unemployable foreigners littering the streets and would be a bit more selective about who we let in.

If you are any good at fruit picking, you could always put your name down for a two month work visa.
Houseboys: The must have fashion item at Trendy London dinner parties. I predict a fashion for kilted Scots houseboys (of whatever gender, or none) for 2022.
It’s a role my missus has in mind for me on retirement. Boris, grr!

I think it used to be like that, and in some places might still be interpreted the same way. But there is much more going on and its not in isolation. In Wales and in NI especially, the maths indicate that the break-up of the Union is not that far off.

Those who want to retain the union need to get their head round the causes of the turbulence. There independent movements in a lot of small countries around the world that are fed up with the imbalances caused by the requirements of the 'nation state' - the information-centric a nature of many 'capitals', their parasitic absorption of scarce or high value resources, the unequal distribution of health, housing, employment opportunity and education. Its neither a uniquely Scottish, Welsh or Irish thing - indeed, it is becoming an English thing too in the Midlands, in the North east, in Cumbria and so on. The exact same process underpins much of what recently happened in the USA and frankly, if these matters are not addressed, there will be major other issues to contend with within a generation.
right up to you saying “ in cumbria” I was listening. Unfortunately from that point on it got consigned to the duff gen pile.
sorry.