• No - this is just a storm in a tea cup

Votes: 30 9.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 43 13.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 88 27.8%

• Total voters
As highlighted in the post I responded to,
"- if he went to the media today with the alleged texts he says he's got no one would have the balls to arrest him.

He would immediately become a political prisoner and the world would collapse around the courts and the SNP "

I fully agree, if his evidence is so clear cut, and he was so sure of it, then just publish it.
The SNP appears to have spent at least 500k attempting to get him banged up. They'd have no issues trying again.

"- if he went to the media today with the alleged texts he says he's got no one would have the balls to arrest him.

He would immediately become a political prisoner and the world would collapse around the courts and the SNP "

I fully agree, if his evidence is so clear cut, and he was so sure of it, then just publish it.

It would better serve the wider public interest if it were done correctly and not rushed.

It would better serve the wider public interest if it were done correctly and not rushed.
One could easily form the opinion that the way it has been handled from the start by (the SNP) obstructing at every turn while saying the opposite was purely to run down the clock prior to May and they have been quite successful thus far.

They would have been and would be quite happy to firefight the fallout from this debacle post election in the belief that they would have the numbers and time to get back on an even keel.

There is a potential minefield here for the SNP which I would suspect is a trap set and waiting for them.

Assuming the inquiry has requested Salmond's evidence from his solictitors as well as from ScotGov, what happens when/if the "key points" from ScotGov don't match the copies that Salmond has?
It is likely on previous form that Swinney and the SNP will try not to release anything to damaging and it is equally as likely that they will be caught out doing so.

Screenshot_20210302-085511_Messenger.jpg

There is a potential minefield here for the SNP which I would suspect is a trap set and waiting for them.

Assuming the inquiry has requested Salmond's evidence from his solictitors as well as from ScotGov, what happens when/if the "key points" from ScotGov don't match the copies that Salmond has?
It is likely on previous form that Swinney and the SNP will try not to release anything to damaging and it is equally as likely that they will be caught out doing so.
Because the threat of a VONC still hangs over Swinney by the Conservatives if he doesn't hand over everything and not just the key points that he wants to hand over.

It all depends how much he's prepared to take one for the team how much he hands over.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Considering the Crown Office's proven partiality and their propensity for vindictive prosecution (Rangers directors, Craig Murray etc), it would be a very brave person to pass on information to the press which is already subject to what is in effect a gagging order.

Salmond is many things, overflowing with courage is not one of them I'd wager. For what it's worth, I think he's advancing his own case and inflicting maximum damage to his opponents by following the rules (regardless of how ridiculous they are), so why would he break them now?

The pertinent question is have the committee asked for Salmonds offered evidence, it seems to have gone very quiet - if not why not?

My gut feeling is that without it and Aberdien’s written submission many will be thrown under the bus but Sturgeon will survive as there’s nothing to then show that she was linked to a conspiracy so no need to have a vote of confidence or to investigate for breaking the ministerial code.

An independent judge led enquiry is the only way to get Sturgeon, or rather get to the bottom of the whole affair. Having seen how easily things are dropped by the likes of COPFS to allow for following the path of least resistance I expect nothing different here when the party lines are followed.

Of course you do, but it's not you looking at a contempt of court charge is it?

Given the seemingly intimate relationship between ScotGov and the PF, it would be utter folly.
Worse than that, it could interfere with proceedings and give NS an out.

Salmond knows it needs to be done by the book, carefully and following correct procedures so that there is no wriggle room.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The SNP appears to have spent at least 500k of taxpayers' money as the cult is nearly bankrupt attempting to get him banged up. They'd have no issues trying again.
No charge

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Much better for Salmond to play Sturgeon at her own game. If he gets the ScotGov to supply the evidence then that will have more impact and Sturgeon won't be able to poo-poo it as the speculation if a guilty man* as it will actually be their own evidence. If Salmond produced it then it would be open to attack and even called out as lies. Salmond is playing a blinder here.

*Sturgeon's stance as per her comments at the Covid briefing - which I doubt were as 'throwaway' as has been made out since. Sturgeon is very careful about what she says and is not prone to throwaway comments.

sorry mate, totally disagree - Salmond has already appeared before the committee and a lot of smoke no fire. It is abundantly clear that Sturgeon/SNP are absolutely determined to protect Sturgeon, top any evidence being presented and to stretch this out until the barely interested media stick their head back into the sand. THIS is the time to unleash whatever Salmond claims he's got before Sturgeon appears before the committee and gets off scot free. It is time to fight and stop pussyfooting around - if the shoe was on the other foot Sturgeon would have zero qualms at hitting Salmond with a broadside

This in my mind leaves no room other than to not get Salmond’s material evidence as provided to his solicitors by COPFS as I feel it will be far more damning than the SG legal advice they are sitting on.

Truxx

LE
sorry mate, totally disagree - Salmond has already appeared before the committee and a lot of smoke no fire. It is abundantly clear that Sturgeon/SNP are absolutely determined to protect Sturgeon, top any evidence being presented and to stretch this out until the barely interested media stick their head back into the sand. THIS is the time to unleash whatever Salmond claims he's got before Sturgeon appears before the committee and gets off scot free. It is time to fight and stop pussyfooting around - if the shoe was on the other foot Sturgeon would have zero qualms at hitting Salmond with a broadside
The time to play the blind side is post Sturgeon and pre weekend.

Because the threat of a VONC still hangs over Swinney by the Conservatives if he doesn't hand over everything and not just the key points that he wants to hand over.

It all depends how much he's prepared to take one for the team how much he hands over.

I would suspect that Swinney is not yet sure which side his bread is buttered on.

In the event of Sturgeon surviving the week he will not want to burn all his bridges until he absolutely has too.
We will know by Wednesday which path has been chosen.
I would say that defying Sturgeon will be the end for Sturgeon, Swinney will have to decide which is the best route for his own survival and I'm not sure he has done so yet

I would suspect that Swinney is not yet sure which side his bread is buttered on.

In the event of Sturgeon surviving the week he will not want to burn all his bridges until he absolutely has too.
We will know by Wednesday which path has been chosen.
I would say that defying Sturgeon will be the end for Sturgeon, Swinney will have to decide which is the best route for his own survival and I'm not sure he has done so yet
Noticeable on a few SM platforms & Bloggs that John Swinney maybe the prime fall guy in order to save Sturgeon's skin here.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

sorry mate, totally disagree - Salmond has already appeared before the committee and a lot of smoke no fire. It is abundantly clear that Sturgeon/SNP are absolutely determined to protect Sturgeon,

The time to drop an illegal bombshell ( as in Court protected evidence ) is after Sturgeon has been in front of the committee on Wednesday.

Let her lie under Oath and then strike.