• No - this is just a storm in a tea cup

Votes: 30 9.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 43 13.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 88 27.8%

• Total voters
1614423706903.png

I would also imagine that Police Scotland will be keeping an eye on the place too...
They’d be better keeping an eye on the local Asda’s for any of “the 4” mentioned by Salmond attending to buy cheap pay-as-you-go phones with sims and £20 credit........ just so they know what to seize as a production later on for the attempt to pervert/perjury/subornation of perjury investigation :-D....

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Sir John Curtice says he thinks the FM is in no more danger than she was before. IPSOS Mori say poling shows yesterdays hearing seems to be having an effect. Others say her position is 50/50 or hanging by a thread. Wait and see.
Brotherton lad walt!

Nobody has a god given right to power and the Stuarts appear alive and kicking inside the SNP, to believe Sturgeon can apply her usual bluster and dodge this without consequence.
I am, perhaps, rather pessimistic about the outcome. There is no way NS will stand aside or resign, she'll just rely on the dodgy memory defence and stick things out with her brass neck. Then what happens? How can she be pushed when she doesn't want to go? To quote somebody else in this matter we've not seen the last of her bonnet.

I am, perhaps, rather pessimistic about the outcome. There is no way NS will stand aside or resign, she'll just rely on the dodgy memory defence and stick things out with her brass neck. Then what happens? How can she be pushed when she doesn't want to go? To quote somebody else in this matter we've not seen the last of her bonnet.
I don't want her to go.....yet.
She is damaging her party every time she opens her gob at the moment. I want her to stay on until the elections where hopefully she will have caused enough damage for the SNP to lose a few seats.
The last thing we need now is a resurgent nationalist party!

I am reminded of the legend of the Kilkenny cats who fought so furiously that only the tails were left. Nice thought, but who would fill the power vacuum? I don't know enough about Scottish politics to comment, but history tells us that 'cometh the hour, cometh the (wo)man'. I hope there's enough political talent out there. Parliament or Scottish Parish Council?

I am reminded of the legend of the Kilkenny cats who fought so furiously that only the tails were left. Nice thought, but who would fill the power vacuum? I don't know enough about Scottish politics to comment, but history tells us that 'cometh the hour, cometh the (wo)man'. I hope there's enough political talent out there. Parliament or Scottish Parish Council?
No one, that is why the egomaniac will not let them speak.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The only flaw with that scenario is the ScotGov have been asked before for this information and in the spirit of truth and transparency, the ScotGov gave the request a stiff ignoring.

Salmond has it and offered it to the inquiry yesterday if the iquiry used its legal powers to demand it.
He didn't produce it yesterday because there is an injunction preventing him from doing so.

It was his masterstroke in his closing statement.

Basically he said-
I have the documents
There is an injunction preventing me fro presenting them to this inquiry
If you (the inquiry) use your legal power to demand those documents my solicitors will deliver them to you first thing on Monday morning

It appears that those documents have now been demanded and Salmond has the mans to deliver them

Assuming nobody dies over the weekend and no documents suffer from a mysterious fire Sturgeon and ScotGov are screwed.
Despite Sturgeon's best efforts it looks like the evidence is going to be presented.

What's the timetable for next week?

Who's up and when?

Is there a itinerary somewhere?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Salmond has it and offered it to the inquiry yesterday if the iquiry used its legal powers to demand it.
He didn't produce it yesterday because there is an injunction preventing him from doing so.

Basically he said-
I have the documents
If you (the inquiry) use your legal power to demand those documents my solicitors will deliver them to you first thing on Monday morning

It appears that those documents have now been demanded and Salmond has the mans to deliver them

Assuming nobody dies over the weekend and no documents suffer from a mysterious fire Sturgeon and ScotGov are screwed.
Despite Sturgeon's best efforts it looks like the evidence is going to be presented.

Is this fresh new evidence or merely the redacted paragraphs from his previous submission?

The stuff published by the Spectator in January?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Basically he said-
I have the documents

I was under the impression that the evidence was demanded from the Procurator Fiscal, rather than Salmond's solicitors. In the event that the PF fails to provide it, would the copy in Salmond's brief's possession be permitted to be used?

Tyk

LE
Is this fresh new evidence or merely the redacted paragraphs from his previous submission?

No, from what he said it's stuff that was forced from ScotGov during the Criminal trial (and used in the defence so effectively on record) that the Crown Office has written to Salmond repeatedly about telling him in no uncertain terms he's not to show to the Enquiry on pain of criminal sanction. Apparently showing the prohibition letters (four in number) to the committee would also attract that sanction from the Crown Office, a point Salmond made in a neat sideswipe in his evidence.
However the Enquiry had (and apparently has now exercised) the power to order it be brought to them which side steps the Crown Office orders to Salmond.
Text message records and the likes. Apparently none of the material names the complainants, to his credit Salmond made it very clear that he'd regard naming the complainants as very wrong.

Last edited:

It's new ( as in previous undisclosed ) evidence.

Such as a thumb drive with all the text messages and whatsapp conversations.

Documentary evidence that the SNP have refused to handover to the inquiry.

Documents relating to the Legal advice the SNP were given.

Documents relating to the Private Secretary.

He made numerous references to these in his testimony.

Either he is playing Poker - Or he, and his Legal team are sitting with a Royal Flush.

If I were Sturgeon - I would be folding resigning PDQ.

From what Salmond said yesterday it is the redacted evidence plus text and Whatsapp messages.
As I understand it he claims to have absolute proof of who knew what and when and hinted at proff that there was a clear conspiracy to send him to jail

To be clear, I neither like nor trust Salmond and I'm not particularly on his side.
I am however a great believer in justice and honest government.

I was under the impression that the evidence was demanded from the Procurator Fiscal, rather than Salmond's solicitors. In the event that the PF fails to provide it, would the copy in Salmond's brief's possession be permitted to be used?

Nothing to lose.

Release it and the LA is sacked and the Crown Office will be decimated.

What they wont be doing is charging people with breaching their gagging order.

Aye, they did.

That might be why they are asking Salmond's Legal Team - As per Salmond's request in his closing speech / statement, and as he alluded to throughout his entire appearance.
His best move, Sturgeon seemed quite comfortable hiding behind the Crown Office. The ability to obtain the same documents under Salmond’s control may or may not have been a surprise, or maybe she hoped that route would have past unnoticed.

Latest Threads