Votes: 30 9.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 43 13.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 88 27.8%

• Total voters

Dredd

LE
I did hear about that, as I do try to keep up with things north of the Wall. No idea why it stayed on after the verdicts changed to guilty/not guilty. It gives an easy opt out in difficult cases, so should be chucked out and a decision made one way or the other.

There is an interesting history behind it, as described in this Wiki entry, and there is a certain perverse pleasure in knowing the Scottish legal system has this anomaly that is virtually unique in the world. Interesting too that it is linked with the Scottish requirement of corroboration - there was an attempt to remove that requirement as well recently so this may have been the reason it was not changed.

However, I tend to agree that is is an anachronism that has probably had it's day and should be dropped but I do feel that the requirement of corroboration is a powerful tool in reducing the chance of a wrongful conviction and should only be removed if there is a very strong case to show it is not making any real difference in conviction rates when compared to other similar countries.

Old and Grumpy

Old-Salt
Sad but true:

Attachments

• meeting in Scotland.jpg
    meeting in Scotland.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 215
I was always led to be believe that Autoerotic Asphyxiation involving (silk) stockings and oranges was reserved for members of the Conservative party..
And third rate Australian crooners

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
An opinion formed from reading @Fang_Farrier 's posts. Am I mistaken?

To be honest I was under the impression he was more of a liberal in the main but with a sympathy for the ideals of independence. But fair one, I'm not absolutely sure either. I just didn't get the full nationalist vibe like sixty.
I believe he is in favour of Independence without supporting the SNP/WeeNippy

I am often accused of being a Nat.

My political affiliation is private.

However the likes of the Scottish Politics thread has very much become an echo chamber.
As such I tend not to post on topics already covered multiple times but will try to post items for debate and often present them from an opposing view to the majority of other posters.

I do support some contentious policies such as minimum pricing and named person.

On another forum which is mainly health care professionals, and the echo chamber there is the opposite of here, I am accused of being a Unionist.

I was always led to be believe that Autoerotic Asphyxiation involving (silk) stockings and oranges was reserved for members of the Conservative party..
For goodness sake don’t tell @2x30 about this as he will accuse all the “yoons ” of being practitioners.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Anyone want to start a sweepstake on when the infighting starts over the replacement for Nicola?

Why do you think Cherry was removed from the front bench in Westminster?

However the likes of the Scottish Politics thread has very much become an echo chamber.
As such I tend not to post on topics already covered multiple times but will try to post items for debate and often present them from an opposing view to the majority of other posters.

I do support some contentious policies such as minimum pricing and named person.

On another forum which is mainly health care professionals, and the echo chamber there is the opposite of here, I am accused of being a Unionist.
A Liberal Democrat then!

Dredd

LE
Now this is very interesting.

The YesNP acolytes and Chief Mammy in particular have emphasised how close Scotland was to eliminating the virus altogether in oor wee piece of the island, despite having done little different on a practical basis than the Evil English.

Turns out that was yet another piece of nonsense that is almost, but not quite, a lie. The big question is - where and when did she say it?

If it was just in her PPB daily briefings, then the laws of truthful accounting is not the same and they can merrily spin and weave as they wish. But if she has uttered this tripe just once in the Wee Hoose, then this was an attempt to mislead Parliament and that, my friends, is another nail to hammer into the coffin.

Blogg

LE
A bit late

It has probably started - Just hasn't reached public domain / put out for public consumption yet.

My this is going well.

SNP itself is claimed to be totally skint: big salaries to cronies, allegedly delaying payouts to branches, pulling forward Subs. and engaging in accounting tricks to move expenditure around.

Entirely in keeping with pattern in Government then.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Now this is very interesting.

The YesNP acolytes and Chief Mammy in particular have emphasised how close Scotland was to eliminating the virus altogether in oor wee piece of the island, despite having done little different on a practical basis than the Evil English.

Turns out that was yet another piece of nonsense that is almost, but not quite, a lie. The big question is - where and when did she say it?

If it was just in her PPB daily briefings, then the laws of truthful accounting is not the same and they can merrily spin and weave as they wish. But if she has uttered this tripe just once in the Wee Hoose, then this was an attempt to mislead Parliament and that, my friends, is another nail to hammer into the coffin.

From my understanding, it's somewhere in between.

Each time we were reducing numbers in a significant fashion, outbreaks occurred mainly due to folk travelling on holidays abroad.

As such we were on a trajectory to eliminate but never actually achievable.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Fair enough, and of course your affiliations are your own beeswax.

Apologies for accusing you of being a Nat! I was asking you as someone who has posted comments supporting Scottish independence (IMHO), for a viewpoint on Sturgeon's involvement in this scandal from a different standpoint from most of us who are posting on this thread. I realise that doing so might subject you to the usual howls of abuse from the knuckle draggers, but I was curious to read what you think of the current Holyrood craziness.

Latest Threads