Nicknames for British 9mm weapons.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by BuggerAll, Mar 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've been asked if there are any nicknames for any British used 9mm weapons. None spring to mind.

The best I could do was 'Hi-power' for the Browning Pistol and 'smudge' for SMGs which was applied to the Sterling when we had them.

2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I called my 9mm Browning "Lucille."

3. SMG - Small Metal Gun

4. I believe that the Browning 9mm was referred to as 'The Persuader', but I suppose that under extreme circumstances, so are all 9mm sidearms.

5. BuggerAll

Little bit of research found this. Nickname. Enjoy(?)

6. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

The Browning 9mm High Power HP model 1935 Automatic pistol, was the name chosen by it's designer D J Saive, chief design engineer at FN in 1935 who had finished the development of the pistol after the death of J M Browning in 1926, He also gave us the FAL/SRL , so it's not a nickname but the official nomenclature
    It was the first Browning design to fire the 9mm Parabellum/Hi-Power round

7. I just called my Browning my 'short' same as everyone else. I should have called it Chuck because it was ancient and looked as though it had seen as much action as Chuck Norris.

8. BuggerAll

I realise that HP is not a nickname but its proper name. Most of the websites show it as Hi-power which is what I remember not High Power. Was it changes to Hi-power later for commercial reasons?

9. BuggerAll

IIRC she is also quite short. Chuck Norris.

10. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

NO it was never officially adopted as Hi-Power by FN, in fact FN have no Idea just how many were made as their records only start in 1954, thousands were made in Canada by John Inglis, and the Germans even upped the production during the war the called it Pistole Modell 640(b) but the records were destroyed but theres still loads of them around with German stamps

11. Winged off loads of rounds outdoors at Lydd with Chinese stamped Brownings.
    Had the notch in the heel of the butt for the wooden stock, and i'm sure, if memory serves, the adjustable rearsight thingy

12. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

dead right, Inglis made thousands for the Chinese, with ladder sights and butt slot with wooden butt/holster some even found their way into the British Army, but without the holster , the only thing different is the Inglis only has four grooves in the rifling,

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

9 milly...

14. 9 mill, gat, roscoe!

15. Yep "9 milly" and "Disco gun" was also what the older sweats called it.