Nick Nice Ex RAOC

Discussion in 'RLC' started by nato_tato, Dec 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's with great regret I have to announce the death of Ex RAOC AT Nick Nice on Christmas Day.
    Any one wishing to send any messages to the family please PM them through me.

Thanks very much.

2. N-T will there be a collection?

3. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

Nicholas John Nice MBE RAOC

(Ammunition Technician Class 1)

Grumpy. cantancerous (sp), moody and occassionally (often) a grade A git! But a great mentor, friend and colleague.

Good night big un and just remember making the SAM 7 and 13 paperweights! I will. :) Hic!!!

And I am now also now very sure that you drove the TLC back from the party!!!

4. Served with Nicky before he re traded to AT, RIP Nick

5. I remember Nick years and years ago soon after he joined the trade. I am a Times man myself (plus Exchange and Mart of course)and have never got on with the Indie. I was slightly taken aback by the obit in the newspaper. Hard to tell if it was written by a friend or an enemy which kind of made me hope that it was written tongue in cheek or am I missing something?

Anyway Nick if you are reading this in that large APA in the big depot in the sky, remember to 1 to 11 minus 7A and 8 don't rotate or did that go out when NATO stole our GEGS and conned us with their HCCs?

6. Recieved info advises that the obit was written by an Indie journalist who lives in same village as NN and drank in the same pub. Said journo took on the voluntary task of writing the obit in good faith which was rather nice.

7. Thanks for that Sir BD. I have had a private msg regarding this too. It was that I was a bit perplexed as being a Times man (plus Exchange & Mart) It is not the type of obit I was used to reading, then again Nick was not yer average type of guy. As long as it was tongue in cheek by journo that was a mate of NN that's OK. As you no doubt know the average hack never lets the truth get in the way of a good story. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Amen

8. I knew he'd died, but, D'you know, I thought I knew him quite well, having served with him, and even giving him lifts home and back to work on the weekends, but this obituary is the first thing I've seen about his whole career.

Definitely a Character of the trade (not so many now though!)

Could definitely earn his non-de-plume of Nick Nasty at times though!

9. I must admit I had Richard North pegged as somewhat of a tosser, however he seems to have captured at least some of the Nick I knew..

One of life's characters, from a trade which seems to breed them..

I remember Nick taking part in a presentation to the Anglo American Wives club who were making a visit to the AS of A in the eighties...

Part of the presentation was "making a bomb from the contents of your shopping basket" - Nick took the part of the "housewife" with the basket - in full drag - Think Les Dawson in the Sissy and Ada sketch, complete with curlers and headscarf....

Nick was so pleased with the effect that he decided to join the ladies at the initial reception in the officer's mess. He carried out the manoever with complete aplomb, joining in the discussions whilst hitching up his right "boob" in the appropriate style...

A great loss - sorry to have missed the funeral...!

Sua Tela Tonanti!