Nick Clegg: tell us the laws that you want scrapped

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Biped, May 19, 2010.

1. Yes, repeal this repressive nonsense

2. Not sure, some of it was good.

3. No, The state knows better than we what is good for us.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The Telegraph

Well, haleluja!!!!

This I want to see. If this comes to pass, I'd love to know how they are going to ask us which ones (of course, they could refer to the repeal thread on here), but from the list in the article, it would seem he's right on the button.

All this talk of referendums - let's have more Mr Clegg, on many more constutional matters. Let's also hamstring the next Labour government that wants to sell us out, reduce our privacy, statehood, and freedoms. Let's ensure that matters like this are subject to full referendums. Let's ensure that changes to referendum laws thereafter are subject to more referendums.

Let's lock down our constitution to the express will of the people in the form of referendums Msrs Clegg and Cameron!

Keep up the good work.
  2. 1997 & 1988 Firearms Acts? (in our dreams)
  3. Decriminalise carrying knives. They're a tool in the hands of most of the populace, not a weapon, and it hasn't stopped the chavs/crims carrying.
  4. Human Rights Act, but I'm not holding my breath... :roll:
  5. My bold: Somehow Considering the Government will take CivPol advice & recommendations on this issue I suspect the issue of carrying knives will stay,

Especially considering the amount of stabbings/fatalities are subject to them!

Further to this development, a fair amount of acts, bills etc will be 'watered down only' & not abolished but we'll see how this rides out.
  6. Lift the smoking ban in pubs.... a pub doesn't smell right without the smell of tobacco.
  7. Good God, it's almost like a government running this country is actually doing it for and listening to the people and has an actual interest in the nation. Excuse me whilst I go give my head a wobble.
  8. Seconded.
  9. Human Rights Act needs to be looked at to stop over paid lawyers and senile judiciary preventing terrorists and child killers etc from being properly punished, deported etc ...

:x :x :x :x :x

10. Starters for 10...

Section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000 (stop and search without grounds for suspicion) - Plod has shown time and again that he can't be trusted to use this piece of legislation properly.
    The Hunting Act 2004 - whatever you feel about fox hunting, the ban is effectively unenforcable and the police should have better things to do.
    Section 76 of the Counter-terrorism Act 2008 - wilfully misinterpreted by Plod to stop people taking pictures of them beating protestors up.
    HIPs as introduced by the Housing Act 2004 - complete waste of time and money.
  11. Yep.

Yep. (apart from a few minor provisions that were sensible)

I'd add:

Almost everything out of the "Violent Crime Reduction Act" as most of it was bollox.

The ban on the manufacture of swords with a curved blade.

The ludicrous requirements for getting a number plate made up.

The Hunting act.

Restore right to trial by Jury in all cases.

Restore right to silence.

Stop and search powers disguised as Anti Terrorist legislation

Access to and right to protest at Parliament.

Restore death penalty for treason.

Lisbon Treaty.
  12. The Civil Contingencies Act - you know, the one everyone missed because they were too busy discussing whether foxes were cute or not.
  13. Government should not be listening to the police or some think tank and then passing laws from their shopping lists anyway. They should be asking the voters.

Most of Neu Arbeit's Shite was because Blair proclaimed 'We asked the police what powers they wanted, and we gave them those powers' without any consideration for the voters at all. Ask any top cops and they will want thought crimes on the statute books and 24hr surveillance in our bedrooms they could get away with it

As for stabbings, are there really more stabbings than 20-30-40 years ago? Or are they just more widely reported?

A new law I'd like to see is concealed carry of defensive weapons (on a permit similar to FAC, not as of right) such as friction lock batons, tazers or pepper sprays, and even small calibre handguns where neccessary. Its not enough having the right to self defence if the only means allowed to you is bad language and a rolled up newspaper against several knife wielding hoodies. Make the little cnuts think twice about trying to nick your ipod if it means they might get shot or their face burnt off with a pepper spray.

Of course, unelected plod will stick their oar in, and tell us all not to have a go, its only an ipod, and they are the professionals who know how to deal with street robbery. But there isnt a copper on every street corner protecting us. There isn't a judicial system punishing the muggers when they are (rarely) caught, and neither is there a prison system able to lock them away for a very long time.

Just as burglary has been significantly reuced by better doors and locks on windows, street robbery could be reduced by the public meeting violence and aggression with instant pain and injury, even risk of death for the perpetrators. Might deter them more than a community serrvice order and a tag.
  14. Yes damned right!
  15. Not so unlikely. The Police and Home Office have made some murmurings about scrapping most of, if not all, and going for a system that licenses individuals and declares them competent to own and scrapping the current good gun/bad gun nonsense.