Nick Clegg: I would form coalition with Labour after election

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by pimpernel, Jul 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nick appears to be positioning himself and the Lib Dims for their exit strategy. So the close personal friend stuff is all total bollocks.
    So, Nick how does that make you feel and when you answer theres no need to cry.

The Deputy Prime Minister declared that his party would do its “duty” if Labour won the most seats but fell short of a Commons majority in 2015.

He insisted that he could work with Labour’s leader, Ed Miliband, and that “personal likes and dislikes” were irrelevant.

His comments came as Vince Cable, the Business Secretary, suggested he could become Mr Clegg’s successor.

He said that he “didn’t exclude” the possibility, despite turning 70 next year. “Who knows what might happen?” he said.

Mr Clegg’s open speculation about a Conservative defeat at the next election risks causing a fresh row within the Coalition. He made his offer to work with Labour as a new poll put Mr Miliband ahead of David Cameron in personal popularity ratings for the first time.

Nick Clegg: I would form coalition with Labour after election - Telegraph

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Dislikes were irrelevant? So I'm afraid are most Lib Dems, I cant see any of the one time voters from the last election wanting them back after their current weak performance and lack of balls to stand up for their election pledges, I suspect thats why they make such silly pledges as they knew they could never get elected and now having soold out for a sniff of the trough they wont get close again!
    I could se a minority coalition being formed in future!

3. Ahead in 'Personal' ratings, ie who would you rather have a beer with but not Tory vs Lab as a government.

The Libs will vanish without trace at the next election, that's for sure, having traded most of their principles for one splurge of power.

4. They'd done well as a protest-vote party for the people who thought neither of the others matched their high moral values; the sort of people who spend more time agonising over the ethics if things than they do acting on them.

The compromises of actual political power were always going to derail that.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sink without trace would be nice but we do need someone to challenge the Govt of the day rather than just because they are in office but for real sensible reasons. Sadly I cant look at the Lib Dems in the same light which is a pity as they mean well but are muppets collectively!

6. Clegg would form a coalition with the devil if he thought it would give him a little power & as for that cnut Cable being his successor, he must have a short memory. Didn't he step down as leader of the Lib-Dems because he was an old fart that nobody wanted?

7. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Totally agree. LibDems are the perty of no morals or principles who will do anything to get a bit of power. Fortunately I suspect their future as a political force after the next general Election will be zero as those that voted for them in 2010 abandon them in droves.

8. *-----* (substitute name of any party/politician).......'bears shit in woods'...case of move along, nothing to see

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sorry for cut and shut but perhaps this ought to be taught to all the eejits who think that Politicians actually give a damn about their electorate until election time!

If you could run a sample survey of who has been the most popular politician amongst their own electorate in the last 100 years you would possibly find the top 20 places occupied by those denied cabinet places when their party was in office as they didnt toe the party line and those rebels who werent afraid to say what they felt was important!
    Somehow I cant see 2 jags or Tony Oor Jackie Blair being in the lists!

10. The area I live has been Lab for generations, they vote Lab because their fathers and their grandfathers did. If they put a red rosette on a monkey they'd vote for it. Mind you it's pointless voting on their manifestos because it doesn't matter which party it is politicians and aspiring politicians tell the electorate what they want to hear to try and get their votes.

At least with a second-hand car-dealer or an estate agent you only get ripped off the once. :)

11. Few slight problems with Cleggy's plan:

A. He won't have a seat in Parliament.

B. Vince Cable will have already tried to do the deal.

C. The Labour Party won't want to be contaminated with liberalism.

Edited to add:

Labour will deal with Nationalists, SF/PIRA, SDLP, Respect and Greens before talking to LibDems

12. Nick Clegg and his Fib-Dem cronies have shown themsleves to be nothing but political whores. As things stand it is highly unlikely Labour will need any help from them anyway:-

Lab - 42%
    Con - 34%
    Limp Dems - 10%

Roll on the next General Election.

13. Nick Clegg: I would enter into a Faustian pact with Satan and agree to slaughter every firstborn in the land if it meant my clinging desperately onto power before my party and i are consigned to the history books once and for all and i seek new employment on the EU gravytrain.

14. He'll be dumped before then, the Lib-Dems will lose most of their seats., the DUP are going to be much larger than them.

He might better focus on doing his bloody job in this failing government.

15. I dunno what to think of the Lib Dems.I used to think of htem as a bunch of tree hugging wishy washy tree huggers, who are two shades off being Labour.

Then they got into the coalition, and my respect grew because they did give ground, and negotiate with good intent.

Then I noticed it was always a Lib Dem who got stood up in front of Paxman on Newsnight to be brutally savaged. Then I began to think they were being mugs and were employed to stick their head over the parapet.

Now they just seem to sit their and snipe and throw their teddies out of the pram in one ongoing low key sulk.

So that kinda leaves me wondering about them.