Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nick Carter proposes Robot Soldiers

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Until, of course, someone hits one that was doing something dumb - like obeying highway code of traffic womble signs left on since last week...

And the huge weakness is insurance against coding errors that can't deal with foggy day on M25 and some human muppet who can neither defrost their screen, use indicators or turn lights on
Quite. The vast majority of of collisions to date have been human error. Specifically, rear-ending on motorway on-ramps. The driverless car is obeying the rules. The human driving the car behind devices to take a chance in the merge...

A variety of systems, not just vision, will be used. Lidar, for instance. Fog won’t be an issue. As you say, humans will.

But that’s not the fault of the technology.

A half decent lawyer will eventually spot that an autonomous robot soldier is actually banned by the 1997 anti personnel Landmine convention, which defines a Landmine as any weapon which functions through the presence, pressure or proximity of its victim.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
A half decent lawyer will eventually spot that an autonomous robot soldier is actually banned by the 1997 anti personnel Landmine convention, which defines a Landmine as any weapon which functions through the presence, pressure or proximity of its victim.
Law changes. The Vienna Convention stipulated human in the loop for cars. That’s evolved.

Yours is a bloody good point, though.

Non combatant robotic assistance surely isn't banned though. EOD, reconnaissance, SAR, carrying and retrieval for example.

I wonder if the head honchos are regularly speaking to experts in industry and academia? As others have pointed out, something like a robotic supply truck creates more vulnerabilities if it depends on infrastructure for guidance. Remotely controlled ones would use limited bandwidth and be vulnerable to weather effects on electromagnetic propagation and well as jamming.
The vulnerabilities can be overcome by locating the remote control operator inside the vehicle and hard-wiring the remote control into the truck.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Gentlemen I give you the secret weapon to end all secret weapons

At first all went well. Panjandrum rolled into the sea and began to head for the shore, the Brass Hats watching through binoculars from the top of a pebble ridge [...] Then a clamp gave: first one, then two more rockets broke free: Panjandrum began to lurch ominously. It hit a line of small craters in the sand and began to turn to starboard, careering towards Klemantaski, who, viewing events through a telescopic lens, misjudged the distance and continued filming. Hearing the approaching roar he looked up from his viewfinder to see Panjandrum, shedding live rockets in all directions, heading straight for him. As he ran for his life, he glimpsed the assembled admirals and generals diving for cover behind the pebble ridge into barbed-wire entanglements. Panjandrum was now heading back to the sea but crashed on to the sand where it disintegrated in violent explosions, rockets tearing across the beach at great speed

Brian Johnson M.C. ( Grenadier Guards 1939-1946)

(BBC documentary the secret war 1977)

Last edited:
But only if it is targeted at humans? Wouldn’t a robot designed to “kill” an enemy robot would be allowable?

So we could build lots of robots and let them fight other robots, say German robots, over some inconsequential country like France?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't worry. There will be extra sausages available as robots don't like them. However, there will be severe shortages of OMD 80.
And chips.

My robocoat? Why thank you.

But only if it is targeted at humans? Wouldn’t a robot designed to “kill” an enemy robot would be allowable?

So we could build lots of robots and let them fight other robots, say German robots, over some inconsequential country like France?

That could get complicated, I know they were working on motherboards that used microbes to transmit the 1's and 0's so that could potentially self heal

What if parts of the robot were technically alive and living?

Does it need to be a sentient life form to fall foul of the law?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

But what would that achieve? A major part of war is impressing upon others your will, including threat to life.

Yes, I can see the use of robots to attack economic targets and effectively you could subjugate a nation by wiping out power, water, crops, etc... and continually keep wiping them out until someone says 'enough'. You could do that, potentially, with no risk to your own population.

I suspect that I've just defeated my own point there, and I used the internet to do it - I'm clearly way ahead of the curve here. Nevertheless, there's a point in there somewhere.

Ah, yes. Occupation. As we've demonstrated several times in recent years, winning the initial kinetic phase of a war is something that we do well (stand fast for a moment the British Army's current state...). What is far more costly is the troops-at-every-road-junction policing bit. Costly in literal and people terms.

If a robot can't shoot/kill a human threat, then it's going to be down to the Toms to go and do what they've always done. There'll be no gain, there.

Obviously Fritz was ahead of the game back in the day...

Capture.PNG

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I'll wager the RA will do its best to claim all robots as a Gunner asset, RE will do the same and fail even worse than the Gunners, REME will invest heavily in training up Technicians (who will leave immediately for the private sector) and will create another seven REME RoboBattalions which will be fully staffed (in their HQs), the Paras will abandon robots after a stick creams in, the Guards will demand their robots are all over 6' and must be painted scarlet, and the few remaining non-Rifles/Guards/Para/Jock Regts will be disbanded.

And sleeves will be down. Plus ca change...

I'll wager the RA will do its best to claim all robots as a Gunner asset, RE will do the same and fail even worse than the Gunners, REME will invest heavily in training up Technicians (who will leave immediately for the private sector) and will create another seven REME RoboBattalions which will be fully staffed (in their HQs), the Paras will abandon robots after a stick creams in, the Guards will demand their robots are all over 6' and must be painted scarlet, and the few remaining non-Rifles/Guards/Para/Jock Regts will be disbanded.

And sleeves will be down. Plus ca change...
Sleeves down???

A science fiction fantasy.....It'll never happen.

But what would that achieve? A major part of war is impressing upon others your will, including threat to life.

Yes, I can see the use of robots to attack economic targets and effectively you could subjugate a nation by wiping out power, water, crops, etc... and continually keep wiping them out until someone says 'enough'. You could do that, potentially, with no risk to your own population.

I suspect that I've just defeated my own point there, and I used the internet to do it - I'm clearly way ahead of the curve here. Nevertheless, there's a point in there somewhere.

Ah, yes. Occupation. As we've demonstrated several times in recent years, winning the initial kinetic phase of a war is something that we do well (stand fast for a moment the British Army's current state...). What is far more costly is the troops-at-every-road-junction policing bit. Costly in literal and people terms.

If a robot can't shoot/kill a human threat, then it's going to be down to the Toms to go and do what they've always done. There'll be no gain, there.
Doesn’t this encapsulate the whole ethical and philosophical debate about robots and automation? The landmine convention to which @bob_the_bomb referred was written long before anyone really thought through the ethics of artificial intelligence.

My choice of a scenario of robots fighting over France was a little tongue in cheek, but I think it is pertinent. WW1 Generals treated soldiers as an expendable commodity with little or no regard to the human cost. Today we value life far too much to contemplate such slaughter. Not what if we substituted robots for soldiers?

Well if you count the British satellites then yes it is real

Of course I count them!

Evidently Arnie knows more about what the system is really capable of than we mere normal people

Skynet is up there, obviously just waiting for the moment someone flicks the switch to give it full autonomy
After that we're all toast man

HCL

War Hero
Doesn’t this encapsulate the whole ethical and philosophical debate about robots and automation? The landmine convention to which @bob_the_bomb referred was written long before anyone really thought through the ethics of artificial intelligence.

My choice of a scenario of robots fighting over France was a little tongue in cheek, but I think it is pertinent. WW1 Generals treated soldiers as an expendable commodity with little or no regard to the human cost. Today we value life far too much to contemplate such slaughter. Not what if we substituted robots for soldiers?

Then the Chinese win through sheet numbers, mechanical wave instead of a human one.

Latest Threads