Nice work if you can get it

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by OldRedCap, Mar 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wanted to write mine, but I couldnt find a printer that worked!
  2. If I was in the running for £0.9M I wouldn't be up at ten to eight on a Sunday morning reading ARRSE !

If Wayne Rooney and all those nobodies can earn hundreds of thousands for writing about F*** all, then fair play to the General. I should imagine a few Forces charities might benefit in the near future.
  3. Good luck to him. At least he was one of the few that never seemed to lose the plot.

I'm hastily rearranging my bookcase to make room for it.
  4. Oh...THAT Jacko! :cyclopsani:
  5. However exemplary Mike Jackson's service record is, I lost a lot of respect for him a few years ago when he went in front of the nation's defence journalists and announced that "the SA80A2 is the best infantry small arm being issued to any Army in the world" (or words to that effect). To me, that was a purely political statement, as the MoD had by then invested so much money in trying to make the rifle work, it would have been too embarrassing for them to admit defeat and get something better.

Without wishing to put something completely off-thread in here, the rifle still has a major fault: unless you want a severe case of cocking-handle rash, you can only fire it from the right shoulder. In an Army that is meant to be representative of its people (and around 15% of the UK's population is left-handed) how has that happened? And, if it's so good, why has it almost completely failed in the export market?

I'm sure that in Gen Jackson's position, the current CGS would have exposed it for the piece of junk that it is.

All that said, I've got nothing but respect for Gen Jackson as a soldier, and best of luck to him as an author.
  6. Excellent news from a top bloke - cant wait - my order is already with amazon