Nice (out of) work if you can get it

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by FORMER_FYRDMAN, Oct 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

BBC's Mark Byford made redundant - Telegraph

As the prospect of redundancy stalks the land, I thought it might be valuable to post a masterclass in how to go about it. With defence cuts looming, it is nice to see that the really important stuff like the TV licence fee remains untouched.

2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

This is a classic high level civil servant 'redundancy'. Leave 3 years before retirement date (55 in his case probably), get a years salary as your notice period, then 2 years salary as a redundancy package....so spent the last 3 years of 'working' life on the same pay as if you worked, then retire as normal.

Great gig if you can get it.

S_R

3. My local NHS trust has just laid off 138 admin staff, 137 contract admin staff, no real cost and one career manager who had 2 years to go to retirement anyway, he did very well out of that, very well indeed.

This sort of highly convenient and very lucrative 'redundancy' is pretty much SOP throughout the public services assorted.

4. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Might be at the top end, for the few but it isn't and almost certainly will not be for the members of staff on the lower rungs of the career ladder. No doubt they will get dumped with the bare minimum and the figures paraded as a great success.

5. Did I not point out it was a career manager playing the system?

6. Fcuk me...that many administrators....has it had a negative impact on the running of the hospitals.....no thought not..in that case why were they working for the NHS in the first place?As for the career manager being paid of before retirement in 2 years time,i bet he comes back to work as a consultant?

Its that old one again,couldn`t make it up if you tried.Or somebodys palm is getting well greased.

7. The version I saw was the creation of a whole load of new posts just before year-end just as the election was coming up. Then as soon as the emergency budget happened these posts were chopped as "efficiency savings".

The cynic in me would suggest that there was no intention of these posts being ever being filled, just being there as phantom efficiencies that were identified to reduce overall budgets...

8. From what I've read he was on £435k plus expenses, some of which were somewhat exaggerated, which is why he went as a sacrificial goat but will keep the salary until 2011. His pension pot is £3.7m*, which when he reaches retirement age in seven years should provide a £215k income.

His redundancy money is estimated to be £800-900k, so guess the poor devil is going to have to struggle by on over £100k a year until he's 60...

*BTW anyone outside public service who has a pension pot this bi has massive, massive tax disadvantages!

9. Just heard the same thing yesterday about NICS. A colleague observed this, cuts announced, month passes and NICS start recruitment drive.

coP

10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

As far as I'm aware the only people the LTA doesn't apply to is Judges because they said they'd all resign on mass if the previous governement didn't give them exemption. If I am wrong please give me the info. Ta

11. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

You probably did. But it's got to the stage all you hear is greedy civil servants, benefit scroungers and its getting to be a pain in the arse. How could the previous governments be so idiotic that intelligent people never spotted this and made millions of pounds worth of savings when times were good and there were jobs to be had.
    I was off to see the foot spares person the other week and of course I asked about morale and how everything was. 'Oh', he said 'We'll keep the front line staff and get rid of the administration and managers'.
    I asked if he got much of a break during the day he said he got a little,depending on who showed up for the appointments.
    'So you're going to doing your own paperwork, sorting out your own appointments and ordering whatever kit you need, to an agreed budget'
    'Hell No'
    'Somebody has to, and who's going to order your lightbulbs that one's blown'?
    'Ah it won't come to that'
    Not old enough to be cynical yet.
    Here there are high grade civil servants quietly leaving their posts and going for early retirement. Hopefully it will be a change from the old days when the same faces turned up (at a fine rate of pay) on committees.of course these committees gave the answers which the great and good wanted to hear so maybe not.

12. I feel sick....... :(

13. I think the interesting point is seeing how many senior managers/civil servants take redundancy very quickly in the first tranche, as the provision are likely to be more generous than subsequent tranches.