Nice analysis of The British Soldier

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldRedCap, Oct 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not bad, worth a read, although the source is one recently vilified on ARRSE.
  2. Knew I'd seen it somewhere before.;wap2

And this was posted by Media ops? An MOD sponsored blog does a crap internet cut and paste job? What are the odds on the named Major being the one that was so mightily hacked off at Yon.

Awkward Melodramatic toss of the highest order. Get it off that Blog - NOW!

Edited to add you can find versions of it all over the internet.
  3. Reads like one of those chad e-mail virals that are sent around every so often.
  4. Aye, it's worth a read, even if it is a bit mawkish. I wonder if your man wrote this as an answer to being slagged off by Mr Yon. A sort of a "I'm-not-really-like-that" response, since I can't remember any other "tributes" by him to the British squadddie before.

5. It reads more like one of the "septic psyops ones" doing the rounds, but edited for the UK reader. However if it is showing support for the Boys and Girls it can't be all that bad can it?
  6. And despite being old enough to drink he can still strip his SA80 in 5 seconds less than his US counterpart!
  7. pretty brave exercise in plagiarism from a media ops guy - aren't they supposed to be able to write? I suppose it may have some resonance for some in a naive and overly romantic way but I mostly don't recognise who he's talking about - perhaps soldiers have changed but I doubt it. It also doesn't have any echo at all from Army traditions that I can identify. The output of his forbears in previous conflicts have been humourous and light hearted; from the Wipers Times

Realizing Men must laugh,
    Some Wise Man devised the Staff :
    Dressed them up in little dabs
    Of rich variegated tabs :
    Taught them how to win the War
    On A.F.Z. 354 :
    Let them lead the Simple Life
    Far from all our vulgar strife :
    Nightly gave them downy beds
    For their weary, aching heads :
    Lest their relatives might grieve
    Often, often gave them leave,
    Decorations too, galore :
    What on earth could man wish more?
    Yet, alas, or so says Rumour,
    He forgot a sense of Humour!
  8. While in no way wishing to seem disrespectful, it does have an air of Dylan's "Universal Soldier" about it.

That said, I am with Gnome in that it demonstrates support for our people on the ground but I would like our media ops to write something original. They deserve it.
  9. Saw it here a while ago:

It reminds you of the Soldier at Christmas Song, the Soldier is a United States Soldier, a U.S. Marine, a Royal Marine, A British Soldier, a Canadian Soldier etc. in countless amended versions...
  10. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

what a load of over sentimental cack

Media Ops, what a fcuking comedy act

Having a blog does not constitute an effective information warfare strategy
  11. So, who's going to grip the blog for plagiarism?
  12. Sentimental bollex
  13. I tried - you mean my comments (posted yesterday) haven't got through the Moderation process? I'm surprised! 8O