Niall Ferguson on Identity politics in universities, Brexit and Corbyn

A very interesting interview with conservative historian and lecturer Niall Ferguson. The whole thing is worth listening to but I've skipped identity politics and linked to the Brexit discussion.

This article by Toby Young is slightly related, in that it mentions identity politics, university, education, Cameron & Osbone vs EU, Brexit, May, the far left etc, but also the danger of trial by media. He describes how trouble started, having been selected by the PM to a position as one of fifteen non-execuive directors on the board of The Office For Students, when the Guardian wrote up an article about his post. At this point there seems to have been a concerted effort to embarass and undermine the PM by finding fault with Youngs selection by any means.

He mentions that Polly Toynbee and Caroline Lucas allegedly cherry picked material, out of context, in an effort to get him discredited. It worked. He gave up his position, lost his job and position in various charities. He was accused of being a Nazi, despite being Jewish. His crimes include being white, heterosexual, middle aged, conservative and a Brexit supporter.

"Trial by media is like being in the dock at a Soviet show trial—no due process, no inadmissible evidence. Guilty as charged, next stop social Siberia, as Steven Galloway discovered."

The Public Humiliation Diet - Quillette

Last edited:

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
This article by Toby Young is slightly related, in that it mentions identity politics, university, education, Cameron & Osbone vs EU, Brexit, May, the far left etc, but also the danger of trial by media. He describes how having been selected by the PM to a position as one of fifteen non-execuive directors on the board of The Office For Students, the Guardian wrote up a defamatory article about him. Polly Toynbee and Caroline Lucas allegedly cherry picked material, out of context, in an effort to get him discredited. It worked. He gave up his position, lost his job and position in various charities. He was accused of being a Nazi, despite being Jewish. His crimes include being white, heterosexual, middle aged, conservative and a Brexit supporter.

"Trial by media is like being in the dock at a Soviet show trial—no due process, no inadmissible evidence. Guilty as charged, next stop social Siberia, as Steven Galloway discovered."

The Public Humiliation Diet - Quillette
If it was defamatory, and there were grounds to sue then he could have sought restitution. If he didn’t then it wasn’t defamatory and calling it as that when it wasn’t doesn’t seem too sensible.

I like his style of writing it’s always worth a read and usually worthwhile.

If it was defamatory, and there were grounds to sue then he could have sought restitution. If he didn’t then it wasn’t defamatory and calling it as that when it wasn’t doesn’t seem too sensible.

I got the impression he felt it was all a bit too late to try and do something about it.

I took another look at what I had written and reworded part of my post as it was probably misleading.