Niall Ferguson - "Democratic War in Iraq"?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Wessex_Man, Dec 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting comment in today's "Sunday Telegraph" (18/12/05), p 23 - opinion.telegraph.co.uk

2. Direct link-age to the opinion piece in question. If you're going to try and start a discussion about something in the news, it's often a good idea to give a way for others to read it. Granted all it took was a quick search but people are lazy bastards sometimes so it doesn't hurt. :)

3. Extracted from the article is this
    'Looking forward optimistically to a democratic future' What, something like the democratic systems that elected Bush and Blair? Both got in as best of a bad bunch with much controversy, low turnouts and vote abuse allegations. The Iraqui will see through this in short order and will be back to square 1 in a very short time. Still, if it gives us 'peace' long enough for us to cut and run, it'll be a good deal.

4. This is Naill Ferguson. His line of argument is that an American Empire would be a good thing - but would only work if it was run by the Brits. :) Annoying both the Left and right is good for book sales apparently.

5. Fair enough, but it was late; I was tired; assumed anyone sufficiently interested would probably make the minimal effort required.

6. And some are just cheeky gits!! :wink: :D

7. "It was the ethnic diversity of populations, especially in Central and Eastern Europe, that made new nation states so unstable after 1918, as majorities lorded it over minorities, who in turn looked abroad for support. It was the extraordinarily erratic performance of the European economies in the 1920s and 1930s that drove millions to embrace extreme political ideologies, such as communism and fascism. And it was imperial weakness - British overstretch, in particular, but also the internal instability of the German, Austrian and Russian empires - that made full-scale war so hard to avoid."

Wish I could write like that, so true.
    WW III will start in Mid East IMHO.
    john
    Brick ya right but sum of us lazy Barsteards are not werry computator litterate. Onest

8. There is also R D Kaplan who presents a theory (Imperial Grunts ISBN I 4000-6132-6) of American Imperialism due to the pervasive influence of US forces and diplomats based in so many foreign countries. After all these years! All that tea wasted when thrown overboard! Maybe the colonial jurisdiction we ran was not so bad after all?

9. That tea was wasted because Britain had done away withe the tea tax, so putting Local Businessmen out of their smuggling profits.
    The War of Independance came three years later, I know one US lecturer who has claimed for years the majority of Colonials where not anti Brit but just dragged into the War for Freedom.
    john
    US Fortunes
    Roosevelt--China White
    Kennadys--Phrohibition Bootlegging
    Booshes----?

10. That tea was wasted because Britain had done away withe the tea tax, so putting Local Businessmen out of their smuggling profits.
    The War of Independance came three years later, I know one US lecturer who has claimed for years the majority of Colonials where not anti Brit but just dragged into the War for Freedom.
    john
    US Fortunes
    Roosevelt--China White
    Kennadys--Phrohibiition Bootlegging
    Booshes----?

11. That tea was wasted because Britain had done away withe the tea tax, so putting Local Businessmen out of their smuggling profits.
    john
    US Fortunes
    Roosevelt--China White
    Kennadys--Phrohibiition Bootlegging
    Booshes----?

12. As I recall the split was roughly ⅓, ⅓, ⅓.
    ⅓ pro Brit
    ⅓ anti Brit
    ⅓ didn't care

Also at that time, approximately 1/6 of the population of the UK lived in the 13 colonies.

PB