Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NI - Victims

As a result of the gargoyle Martina Anderson's recent 'tweet' in relation to the 'victim's pension' being presently argued over and implementation delayed, this appeared in the Belfast Telegraph today: Man who lost dad and sister in Dublin bomb voices 'disgust' at victims slur in letter to Sinn Fein

Worth reading. "Terrorist bombers, gunmen, child killers and murderers from either republican or loyalist groups aren't victims. They chose their path. I never chose mine," Mr O'Neill wrote to Ms Anderson.
"The constant rhetoric of Sinn Fein likening these people to genuine victims is blatantly false. Stop it."

Every Sinn Fein elected politician should be on trial for at least fraud, blackmail and malfeasance in North & South

ZW Clanger

Old-Salt
Chaps I didn’t see NI in my time but from what I understand you guys that did are the victims.

Often being overlooked for the efforts that you put in and our losses are often glossed over.

I dip my hat to each and every one of you

Chaps I didn’t see NI in my time but from what I understand you guys that did are the victims.

Often being overlooked for the efforts that you put in and our losses are often glossed over.

I dip my hat to each and every one of you
I can't speak for others, and I wouldn't wish to disrespect an honestly expressed sentiment, but I would say this: we were all volunteer soldiers, not pressed men, and while many were soldiering 'voluntarily' because paid work was hard to find in the tattered economy of the UK at that time, we were collectively (so I would say) a million miles from either Wifred Owen's "those who die as cattle", or those more recently killed or broken in the futile adventures of UK Plc in the Middle East and South Asia.

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I can't speak for others, and I wouldn't wish to disrespect an honestly expressed sentiment, but I would say this: we were all volunteers soldiers, not pressed men, and while many were soldiering 'voluntarily' because paid work was hard to find in the tattered economy of the UK at that time, we were collectively (so I would say) a million miles from either Wifred Owen's "those who die as cattle", or those more recently killed or broken in the futile adventures of UK Plc in the Middle East and South Asia.
Agreed - but also overlooked in any kind of 'eroes equivalence. Which I don't like and wouldn't impose on anyone.

NI was of its time I think - I can't imagine the sainted UK populace being willing to sustain that kind of casualty rate for the 6 counties, FI or anywhere else these days.

Sometimes I doubt we'd be willing to put up a fight for anything these days - the Falklands only delayed opinion.

Sometimes I doubt we'd be willing to put up a fight for anything these days
A sentiment frequently expressed post-FI but pre-GRANBY, and post GRANBY but pre TELIC and HERRICK.

No shortage of willing volunteers (bless 'em) to get stuck in to any of those, each time proving the doubters wrong.

The will of a national government at any given point in history, however - now that's an altogether different matter. Especially if government is guilty of focussing on the cost of everything, and yet understands the value of nothing.