NI veteran suicide

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
How does it get any worse than suicide by so called legal eagles ?

You started the thread with

So you will forgive me if I do not share your sentiments............. And personally I would rather knock 10 colours of sh!t out of an ambulance chasing scumbag and spend some months banged up than commit suicide.
And that would make the problem go away?

I'd imagine there's plenty more lawyers lined up, all of them happy to line their own pockets at the expense of truth, morality and peace.

Yes, but that won't stop the investigations. They will continue in absence of input from the 'accused'.
Good luck with a historic crime where evidence will be scant. The best evidence they have is the suspect dropping themselves in the poo.

Start banging in harassment claims, it will mean any evidence they have collected may not be accepted by the judge or can be undermined by the defence.

Hello all,
Sorry for the intrusion and may I offer my condolences to those who knew Mr Murphy.
I'm a journalist and I'm trying to track down his family or friends to see if anyone wants to say anything. Could anyone help with this at all?

No mate, in this particular instance, it may be old men being targeted. In the Iraq witch hunt it was not old men that were being targeted.

What moral high ground ?

It is the Phil Shiners of this world think it is they that occupy the moral high ground.
Many soldiers were guilty of crimes in Iraq. It wasn’t always a witch hunt.

Hello all,
Sorry for the intrusion and may I offer my condolences to those who knew Mr Murphy.
I'm a journalist and I'm trying to track down his family or friends to see if anyone wants to say anything. Could anyone help with this at all?
We don’t entertain journos. You lot are scum of the earth.

Hello all,
If you really are a journalist, as opposed to a sock-puppet trying to stir things up, I would say thanks for being up front- it's not usual.
If not a journo, then this is not the place.

Either way, I'm sorry but you won't get any info here

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
Hello all,
Do you vultures never know when to just shut up?

Anther victim of the Troubles
Stand down Soldier

Hi,
Sorry some of you feel that way, I honestly just wanted to help if I can.
Sorry for the intrusion, I'll remove myself from the forum.
And again, my condolences.

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi,
Sorry some of you feel that way, I honestly just wanted to help if I can.
Sorry for the intrusion, I'll remove myself from the forum.
And again, my condolences.
Do that.

If you really are a journalist, as opposed to a sock-puppet trying to stir things up, I would say thanks for being up front- it's not usual.
If not a journo, then this is not the place.

Either way, I'm sorry but you won't get any info here

Although you may find yourself heavily out of pocket in a seedy pub having been fed a line by one of the many Arrsers who know stuff. Real stuff.

PM me, see you in the Boot and Puttee 1930hrs tonight, mine's a pint.

I respectfully disagree.

The police and courts are meant to be impartial.

You can't say we have equality before the law if certain classes of offence or iffender are treated as different.

...and while I'm making myself popular, That Rifle was crap and Brexit is stupid....;)
Point taken, and I think the judiciary are impartial.

The problem is, that when something like this is politically driven, which this obviously is, they need to be told that by the judiciary, and it explained, that after so long, and with so little evidence, there is no way of securing a conviction, and it is not in the public interest.

If a private individual wanted to pursue it using their own money, that would be their choice.

Point taken, and I think the judiciary are impartial.

The problem is, that when something like this is politically driven, which this obviously is, they need to be told that by the judiciary, and it explained, that after so long, and with so little evidence, there is no way of securing a conviction, and it is not in the public interest.

If a private individual wanted to pursue it using their own money, that would be their choice.

Fair enough.

We're possibly entering a pendulum swing regarding politicisation of courrs and civil service, in which those who think the American approach has merit will be ascendant.

This would be to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and we need to be very careful indeed.

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
True, but why give the investigation to retired detectives with no power of arrest hired by a private company. Why wasn't it handed to Warranted officers in the Iraqi cases.
Sir, sir! I can answer this one. Is the answer "huge wedges of cash"?

Good luck with a historic crime where evidence will be scant. The best evidence they have is the suspect dropping themselves in the poo.
And in these days even a confession would have to be backed up by corrobarating evidence such as DNA or Independent witnesses. It's not uncommon in the case of stranger murders for one or two nut cases to walk into police stations (those that haven't been cloed and sold off) and confess to murders that they had nothing to do with.

True, but why give the investigation to retired detectives with no power of arrest hired by a private company. Why wasn't it handed to Warranted officers in the Iraqi cases.

Different questions, probably with an answer not unadjacent to "because of inept political leadership and box ticking officials".

And in these days even a confession would have to be backed up by corrobarating evidence such as DNA or Independent witnesses. It's not uncommon in the case of stranger murders for one or two nut cases to walk into police stations (those that haven't been cloed and sold off) and confess to murders that they had nothing to do with.
Indeed. In 1988(?) the first use of DNA evidence in the UK was used to prevent the prosecution of someone who admitted to murder.

Latest Threads