NI veteran suicide

Poor sod.RIP.

From 18 Dec 2019.
A FIRM promise to end witch hunt prosecutions of ageing Northern Ireland veterans will be issued in today’s Queen’s Speech. Boris Johnson will vow to change the law to end a series of vexatious claims made against former Army soldiers on active service during the province’s Troubles.

I wonder if this will get the same coverage as the Caroline Flack story?

Poor sod.RIP.

From 18 Dec 2019.
A FIRM promise to end witch hunt prosecutions of ageing Northern Ireland veterans will be issued in today’s Queen’s Speech. Boris Johnson will vow to change the law to end a series of vexatious claims made against former Army soldiers on active service during the province’s Troubles.

I wonder if this will get the same coverage as the Caroline Flack story?
How will they determine vexatious from genuine?

I would argue with his friend’s assertion that he was a “victim of the IRA.”

A friend using the name Dukesy broke the news of his death on Twitter, saying: “My friend took his life today. He served in N.Ireland was blown up by the IRA and fortunate to survive.
“More recently he was subject to the Historic inquiry witch hunt. He tried to take his life three times before, this time he succeeded. A victim of the IRA. RIP Spud.”

The terrorist pricks tried and failed to kill him. If anything he was a victim of gutless politicians and / or a failure to look out for the wellbeing of guys who had a rough time in that unfashionable conflict.

Eddie 'Spud' Murphy

Not a woman sleb, his suicide won't be BBC Headline "news" for days

RIP Eddie

Nothing has changed with regard to legal principles and lawful protections in this country. It appears the problem we have is Historic investigators pulling a confidence trick on aged Ex-servicemen.

Knowledge is power and the best way of preventing this happening again is to inform people of their rights and the very limited (read none existent) legal authority of those investigating.

Simply tell them to fück off and that if they try and contact you again you will consider it harassment.

Nothing has changed with regard to legal principles and lawful protections in this country. It appears the problem we have is Historic investigators pulling a confidence trick on aged Ex-servicemen.

Knowledge is power and the best way of preventing this happening again is to inform people of their rights and the very limited (read none existent) legal authority of those investigating.

Simply tell them to fück off and that if they try and contact you again you will consider it harassment.
Is the correct answer.
Don't say anything other than "no comment" or "get me a lawyer"
For variety you could at a pinch say "**** off" a lot.

Is the correct answer.
Don't say anything other than "no comment" or "get me a lawyer"
For variety you could at a pinch say "**** off" a lot.
Even then they aren’t constables, they can’t detain you, take a statement or anything.

Outrageous that the poor fella should have been put through the wringer like that. RIP Spud.

I can only presume that the press will be all over this, a la Caroline Flack! Front page of the Sun and Mail? Oh, hang on......

Bastards!

Rest in Peace Soldier.

Even then they aren’t constables, they can’t detain you, take a statement or anything.
Even if it is police you can ask them if you are suspected of committing a criminal offence. If yes they should caution you. If no you can tell them to get lost if you so wish.

dontenn

War Hero
sleep well comrade

Yes, but that won't stop the investigations. They will continue in absence of input from the 'accused'.
True but it is up to the Prosecution to prove their case to beyond reasonable doubt. Why make it easy for them. The Defence doesn't have to prove anything. The Defendent doesn't have to give evidence if he doesn't want to. Athough the Defence does have to serve the Prosecution with a Defence Statement before any Trial.

Rest in Peace. Stand easy Spud

Latest Threads