NI Urban Patrol Boots

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by BuckFelize, Dec 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do any of our readers have a pair of these knocking around in the loft? Basically I'm after some decent images that can be used on the wiki.

Mwa! x

2. Circa what year? I have a set of Boot Public Order somewhere (prob in the shed) steely toes/padded tongue outside the boot/non slip/anti acid etc made by tuftrax i think. Are these what you are after?

3. Nah-he'll be on about the old Belfast Dancing Slippers ca late 70's onwards. They looked kinda sexy and lasted about 6 months. If you were lucky.

4. That's the badgers! Soles made of plasticine. A good description will do: toecaps?, smooth or pimples?, number of holes?, sole style? etc.

5. Gotcha, never thought of these uns as Dancing Slippers! Know the ones you mean though. Never wore them too crowy! Have a trawl about through some old photos. DS used to wear them at St Pats.

6. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Argh, the original Addidas high leg sprinters; bloody great bit of kit I got from my Pa; best BFT time I ever did was wearing those

7. I had forgotten all about them. They were very popular compared to DMS and putties, but mine only lasted about 6 months or so.

8. Have i got this right? Were they the type of DMS but as high legs? Pimples on the side, bullable area on the toes?

9. these? before my time so I cant be of any more help I'm afraid?

Attached Files:

10. Thats what i was thinking yeah.

That them, old timers?

11. As I recall they were a quite smooth grain without toe caps. We were issued with them on my second tour in Crossmaglen in 74/75. On the same tour, I gave mine to a mate who for some reason had mislaid his and I stagged on with DMS and black puttee's.

12. RGJbloke you're right. The Boots, Patrol, Urban, NI (or whatever they were called) didn't have toe caps. I did my NI experience in the very early eighties and was issued with a pair but as we were down in the same area as you mention we weren't allowed to wear them. The ground was considered too rough and wet. Best option for a wet, rural patrol was wellies but with puttees wrapped around your ankles inside them. Other than that, good old DMS !

Does anyone remember the GNATs; galoshers, non-attributable tread ?

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Smooth high boots, no toe cap, very much like slippers compared with DMS and good for running, which we did in boots, back then

14. Agreed, no toe caps, nicknamed by some as "Derry Welly's".