NI - They Really Haven’t Gone Away.

ches

LE
No significant mil assets in NI? Who cares? Its not like there aren't a few thousand just boat ride away who'd be docking in Belfast in a half a day. By the time any Irish troops had crossed the border in any force, they'd have already been welcomed by a few sorties of Tiffies or even the BBMF. Its not like they have a decent air capability. I know the RAF is a bit below par when it comes to numbers but its not like the Irish would be flying anything equivalent to Tiffies or F35s. Throw in a fair few AH popping across the water & we're off & running, there'd be bits of potato everywhere.
By the time the inf brigades got there it would be all over bar the shouting & screaming from the dead & dying.

Personally I can't imagine any scenario where Ireland would invade and attempt to occupy even a very small part of Northern Ireland, irrespective of whether the province is governed direct from Westminster, or autonomously from Stormont as part of the UK. And why would Ireland want the whole of NI? It wouldn't.

It doesn't matter what the population of the rest of the UK think about NI, myself included, because it is going to be a part of the Union for the foreseeable future. Supporting itself is an impossibility and, in the unlikely event that it broke away in an alliance with Scotland it would still be financially impossible for it to survive.

So, this whataboutery and imaginary scenarios is all very interesting but is largely pure fantasy. I would love to see a united Ireland of 32 counties but it just isn't going to happen. Is it?
It's happened before. Henry II I believe; certainly from 1530 or so.

United under the English flag.

Very true but that was between 500 and 900 years ago and not really relevant to the present day scenarios. Thank you anyway...
Have you's ever heard of The Battle of the Boyne?

Very true but that was between 500 and 900 years ago and not really relevant to the present day scenarios. Thank you anyway...
It is. Ireland has never been united under one Government except when under the English, later British, flag.

Irish daydreams are analogous to the Porridge Wog ones based on the work of fiction "Braveheart".

They're yearning for a past that never existed, which will hurt real people right now.

Given the microscopic differences between life under one secular Western democracy and another, it's probably not that big a deal, unification, and certainly not worth committing violence for.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
It is. Ireland has never been united under one Government except when under the English, later British, flag.

Irish daydreams are analogous to the Porridge Wog ones based on the work of fiction "Braveheart".

They're yearning for a past that never existed, which will hurt real people right now.

Given the microscopic differences between life under one secular Western democracy and another, it's probably not that big a deal, unification, and certainly not worth committing violence for.
Well, now that you've expanded your statement to something more meaningful then I agree wholeheartedly...

I did think that about the collapse of Police authority. In the good old days the baton rounds would have been flying like punches at a tinker's wedding. They should use some indelible dye. Announce over the tannoy that it's going to be sprayed in 5 mins (low pressure obviously,uman rights) And pick the wee scrotes up at the dole office the next week, or wherever found as they come out from under whatever rock they reside.
Green or orange depending on the colour of the flagstones obviously.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads