NI - They Really Haven’t Gone Away.

BBC evening news is reporting the reappearance of the sort of pro-IRA signs we used to see in the bad old days. Specifically on the Creggan in Londonderry- the predominantly Catholic estate where journalist Lyra McKee was shot on 18th April this year.
7015CAD2-7DA6-4257-B4DE-0BB7913EF58A.jpeg

I’m guessing these are aimed at protecting her killer who, it seemed at the time, was widely identified amongst locals.
We were always told not to rip down tricolours or signs because of the obvious risk of boobytraps, I was wondering if that threat is still a realistic one and if not, why the PSNI don’t take down the signs as soon as they go up. Although It was heartening to see locals confronting the sheepish and sullen-faced idiots of the CIRA after the murder, it would be great to see the same normal, non-criminal denizens of the estate nipping this type of thing in the bud.
Living with the paramilitaries next door

Last edited:
BBC evening news is reporting the reappearance of the sort of pro-IRA signs we used to see in the bad old days. Specifically on the Creggan in Londonderry- the predominantly Catholic estate where journalist Lyra McKee was shot on 18th April this year.
View attachment 407448
I’m guessing these are aimed at protecting her killer who, it seemed at the time, was widely identified amongst locals.
We were always told not to rip down tricolours or signs because of the obvious risk of boobytraps, I was wondering if that threat is still a realistic one and if not, why the PSNI don’t take down the signs as soon as they go up. Although It was heartening to see locals confronting the sheepish and sullen-faced idiots of the CIRA after the murder. It would be great to see the normal non-criminal denizens of the estate nipping this type of thing in the bud.
Living with the paramilitaries next door
They haven't 're-appeared', in that part of town they have always been there. It is just the media have started to take notice because of who the victim was in that particular incident.

Saw a few murals pop up in areas of Liverpool over the last few years, which is surprising as I hadn't seen any for a long long time.

None of it ever truly went away, especially not when you grant them amnesty and the nice wads of cash. They just go quiet, the smart ones pretend to become political and the stubborn, stupid and spiteful remain to become dangerous again.

They haven't 're-appeared', in that part of town they have always been there. It is just the media have started to take notice because of who the victim was in that particular incident.
You look at some of the security updates that come through MoD inside comms for example and there are dozens of incidents a year of varying severity. Not sexy news unfortunately.

You look at some of the security updates that come through MoD inside comms for example and there are dozens of incidents a year of varying severity. Not sexy news unfortunately.
That's because the IRA are Marxists, there's no XRW terrorist threat to make news headlines with the bog trotters

None of it ever truly went away.
Spot on. MSM not reporting doesn't mean it's not happening.

You'd never know Gilets Jaunes still holding "festivals" in Paris every weekend if MSM only news source

Twitter giletsjaunes:
michael Jul 27
"The ruling elite have deployed the most oppressive tactics to silence the resistance.unprecedented level of violence ,near total blackout of the news by #MSM & a tyrannical economic policy have all failed to suppress the uprising.class war is laid bare. #GiletsJaunes #Acte37 pic.twitter.com/r6Y8wvmg4z"
The CommunicipaIist Jul 28
"Interesting the BBC radio news giving blow by blow accounts of Hong Kong protests but completely silent about the 37 weeks of #GiletsJaunes protest just across the Channel in France. pic.twitter.com/33nkcD6azs"

Last edited:
Twas ever thus. It was always striking how little of the Ulster “Happy” News made it across the water. Is the PSNI still seen as a Protestant organisation by the wider Catholic community? The BBC report did mention that community police officers are particularly vulnerable...

mattB101

Old-Salt
I wonder with this if it’s an extremely vocal minority trying to stay relevant and say ‘we’re still here’

Is the PSNI still seen as a Protestant organisation by the wider Catholic community?
The broader Nationalist community don't think of it like that, but then a lot of them never did. The DR's are still trying to use that as an excuse. That is why off duty RC cops have been such a priority target, to discourage other Catholics from joining.

The broader Nationalist community don't think of it like that, but then a lot of them never did. The DR's are still trying to use that as an excuse. That is why off duty RC cops have been such a priority target, to discourage other Catholics from joining.
Spot on.

They never went away. A large swathe of PIRA and INLA in east Tyrone, Londonderry and north Armagh either formed or moved across to one of the various dissident factions. Men, munitions, knowledge. The lot. So we’ve full PIRA ASUs and command structures along with much of their gear carrying on their grubby little campaign. Just on a much smaller and fragmented scale from what we saw in the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s. I’d estimate there’s an average of one “serious” incident a week here. By that I mean attacks or attempted attacks on police, arms finds and the like. Sporadic rioting, punishment attacks aside, In the seven months of 2019 there was this weekends shenanigans, vbied exploded outside the courthouse in LDerry (opposite what was the old Masonic camp), a uvbt found under a peelers car a few weeks ago, journalist shot dead when police came under gunfire in L/Derry, horizontal mortar found in place near Castlewellan, several arms finds. That’s just off the top of my head and during the “quietest” period I’ve seen in the job, probably in the last 12-15 years. You can well guarantee too there’s a shit load of “jobs” prevented given the level of infiltration the security services have made into these groups. As a previous poster mentioned though, it’s just not sexy. It’s the grubby tail end of a dirty little conflict. That’s all

Last edited:
They never went away. A large swathe of PIRA and INLA in east Tyrone, Londonderry and north Armagh either formed or moved across to one of the various dissident factions. Men, munitions, knowledge. The lot. So we’ve full PIRA ASUs and command structures along with much of their gear carrying on their grubby little campaign. Just on a much smaller and fragmented scale from what we saw in the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s. I’d estimate there’s an average of one “serious” incident a week here. By that I mean attacks or attempted attacks on police, arms finds and the like. Sporadic rioting, punishment attacks aside, In the seven months of 2019 there was this weekends shenanigans, a uvbt found under a peelers car a few weeks ago, journalist shot dead when police came under gunfire in L/Derry, horizontal mortar found in place near Castlewellan, several arms finds. That’s just off the top of my head and during probably the “quietest” period I’ve seen in the job, probably in the last 12-15 years. You can well guarantee too there’s a shit load of “jobs” prevented given the level of infiltration the security services have made into these groups. As a previous poster mentioned though, it’s just not sexy. It’s the grubby tail end of a dirty little conflict. That’s all
Add in the fact that neither the Govts of the UK and RoI or the Media want to admit that the GF Agreement was, by and large an utter sham, the Province ain't going to get a moment more coverage than is utterly forced upon them by events.

Off the top of my head thinking back to a few briefings way back.... (for example) 2017 saw in some cases 30-40 incidents of varying severity per month.

Give the whole place to the ROI. Let them deal with it, or sell it to trump for a golf course.

Give the whole place to the ROI. Let them deal with it, or sell it to trump for a golf course.
Would delight a former housemate of mine. One of 'those'minority NI Paddys who turns ROI Paddy as and when it suits (often mid debate. Has some unicorns and rainbows notion that the two countries will be able to unite, live happily forever and skip into the sunset without any of the inevitible bloodshed. Muppets.

Last edited:
Last time I was in NI, a few years ago, I travelled pretty much to the four corners on business over a couple of weeks. I quite enjoyed travelling through the villages and meeting some of the locals but I was shocked when I came upon a Police station that looked like something out of a 1970s news programme in a small and otherwise pleasant town.

That was when I realised that it had never really gone away, and probably never will.

Separatists and Unionists will never agree and no possible solution will suit 50% of the population.

I agree with the post above, ROI would get a massive shock if the island was ever united.

WIth his skin tone, he’d be quite welcome in certain spots. Shankill, Portadown. Maybe not so much in XMG :D
everyone seemed happy to see us in XMG, in fact one Christmas they invited themselves into camp

Latest Threads