NI soldiers getting £250m pay-off

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by india-juliet, Mar 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Redundancy packages costing up to £250m for 3,000 Northern Ireland Royal Irish Regiment soldiers have been announced in the House of Commons.
    Armed Forces Minister Adam Ingram said full-time soldiers would receive a special payment of £28,000, a redundancy payment and a pension.

Part-time soldiers will receive a special payment of about £14,000, but are not entitled to redundancy.

The three home service battalions are due to be disbanded by May next year.

A senior officer with 22 years service could receive approximately £151,211.

"The unique and exceptional payment of the tax-free ex-gratia award is specifically designed to acknowledge the impact that disbandment will have on soldiers currently serving with the Royal Irish Regiment (home service) battalions," the minister said.

"This is a very generous package and reflects the regard in which the home service is held."

As an alternative to the severance package, the MoD is offering a £10,000 taxable bounty to those who transfer into general service with the armed forces.

2. Almost makes me wish that i was Irish! What a good pay day,Look out Belfast 3000 ex- irish soldiers with money in their pockets!

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Good on them - they deserve it.

I certainly would not have liked to have done their job then just gone home, a wee bit down the road.

4. Early St Patricks prezzy from the Government.

(St Pats Mar 17th BTW)

Baggy.

5. Auld-Yin

No sh!t Sherlock 8O

6. Just a wee reminder for the piss ups next week :lol:

7. A good settlement and wel negotiated by big Ian and the DUP. It's good to see the risks and dangers that the Royal Irish, the Rangers & the UDR rewarded in hard cash. This money can't bring back the 200 brothers we lost . However it underpins the sacrifice and commitment given by the Security Forces in NI. I just hope that the final ceremony and laying up of the Regimental Colours is fitting and Royalty attend. I am sure they will and it would be nice to see a permanent memorial to honour those who defended both sides of the community against ALL terrorism in N Ireland.

:: Click below ::

http://www.palacebarracksmemorialgarden.org/

8. yes now think of all our lot that got MCM'd and SNLR'd etc you know the ones 12 year point and your out, take your pittance and thanks for all the tours you done for UKPLC

9. Auld-Yin

C-C

That was not the point of my earlier post. These guys lived the time, not just do tours. I appreciate the MCM sh1t and how it was (and probably still is) used as a way of reducing the wage and pension bill (as well as the experience levels), but that is for a differnt place.

A good deal seems to have been sorted for these guys so for once lets salute that and not attack it. I have to add that I do not believe that this has come purely from the generosity of G Broon (Cllr).

10. And WE are goona get LEATHERED!!!!woohoo...see you up there mate! :p :p :p

11. Can't wait mate. Don't know how we're gonna survive about 18 hours....I'll need George Bests liver to recover

12. Off to Dublin next week! Gallons of Guinness & a great craic!