NI soldiers get more powers.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Aug 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Just when you thought it was all over!...
    Looks like the NIO & HMG are making sure that the PSNI have the back up they need in a emergency.Wonder if it's going to work on a extension of the yellow card or under PACE rules.

Soldiers granted special powers

[Published: Tuesday 31, July 2007 - 10:29]

By Chris Thornton

New legislation is due to take effect tonight giving soldiers in Ulster greater powers than in the rest of the UK.

The move comes as Operation Banner - the Army's support role for the police - ends at midnight after almost four decades.

The new powers will allow soldiers to stop and question anyone about their movements - and hold them indefinitely until they answer.

Anyone refusing to co-operate could face fines of up to £5,000.

The PSNI will also be granted similar powers.

A spokesman for the Northern Ireland Office said the special powers were necessary because the Army could still be called in to support the PSNI.

"We hope that it won't be necessary to have troops on the streets again. But we must be prepared and as long as there is the potential for serious public order incidents, the Army should be available to support the police and this role requires the military to have powers over and above the ordinary citizen," a spokesperson said.

However, Jane Winter of British Irish Rights Watch described the move as ironic.

"There's a definite irony in having the troops move out on July 31 giving them powers for arrest on August 1. On the face of it, there's no rationale for that," she said.

Operation Banner, an emergency measure introduced in August 1969 became the British Army's longest continuous campaign. It brought almost a quarter of a million troops onto the streets of Northern Ireland - 763 of whom were killed by paramilitaries.

Today a garrison of only 5,000 remains in 10 bases across the province.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/article2820610.ece

2. What was the length of time that people in NI were allowed to be detained before the 1st August, if not complying with the demand for movement details? What was the punishment for not complying?

Was it different before - I honestly can't remember.

3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Not sure but as the patrols were,as far as I'm aware, accompanied by RUC (GC) or PSNI I think any arrest or detainmant was done by them & not the Army.
    I think it was 72Hrs holding.I'm sure there are some here who would know better tho.
    Regards,
    spike

4. "By the Power of Greyskull!"

That should be enough IMHO

5. Achtung, produce your papers Scum!

Just as the right against self-incrimination was extinguished in Northern Ireland before it was introduced into the rest of the United Kingdom under sections 34 - 37 Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, so it will be with this proposition which will, eventually arrive on the mainland when identity cards begin to be carried since it will be the identity card that will be accepted as conclusive proof of identify acceptable to the state in preference to any other form of identify making the carrying of them, de-facto compulsory since the law will require the individual to satisfy a constable of his or her identify when called upon to do so in accordance with legislation which will be justified to Parliament on the grounds that it has been operating successfully in a peacetime environment in Northern Ireland for 'some time'.

6. I went home to see my Ma in NI a while ago. I went out for a lovely walk one night, thinking about philosophical matters such as "who am I?" "where do I come from?" and the big one in life "where am I going?".

These blokes un uniform in a bick truck turned up and asked me the self same questions. I said, "Wow, I have just been pondering the exact same thing!!".

Anyway, they bundled me into the back of their vehicle, and I went to a building and they shone some really bright lights at me, but afterwards, they gave me a up of tea, and said they had just been disbanded....