Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NI Photo

Back copies of them were stacked up everywhere in the 123 Int Sect offices at HQ 39 Inf Bde!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Still are!

anp1.jpg

FEASG

LE
I'm pretty sure the bottom one is from a film.

The other publicity shots of the women with the AR 18s were also a 2 fingers to the Security Forces/Service.

They were actually AR-180s (the civilian semi automatic version). My Bn had a captured one in the armoury. When you stripped it down and placed the working parts next to those of the L85A1, you could see where Royal Ordinance nicked the design from. If you where really observant you would have wondered about the strange shape of the cocking handle. Only later to realise that Sterling (they made them under licence) had experienced (and solved) that strange stoppage where the empty case hit the cocking handle and bounced back into the closing working parts. It took us sixteen years and the involvement of H&K to sort that out for us. With the new cocking handle on the A2 version. Always makes me smile that PIRA had a solution to a problem 20 years before we had the problem.

It's meant to be on the wall....
I thought the "red phone" was always hidden in the desk drawer next to the Webley and the bottle of Black Bush!?

They were actually AR-180s (the civilian semi automatic version). My Bn had a captured one in the armoury. When you stripped it down and placed the working parts next to those of the L85A1, you could see where Royal Ordinance nicked the design from. If you where really observant you would have wondered about the strange shape of the cocking handle. Only later to realise that Sterling (they made them under licence) had experienced (and solved) that strange stoppage where the empty case hit the cocking handle and bounced back into the closing working parts. It took us sixteen years and the involvement of H&K to sort that out for us. With the new cocking handle on the A2 version. Always makes me smile that PIRA had a solution to a problem 20 years before we had the problem.
If you look closely here's one before it got chopped a few years ago in Donnington:

AR180 (2).jpg

I thought the "red phone" was always hidden in the desk drawer next to the Webley and the bottle of Black Bush!?
It comes out for emergencies!

It's meant to be on the wall....

???

Wall-mount GPO dinosaurs like that just moved the cradle from the top to the back. If you put a wall mount phone on a desk, the handset would not stay on hook. And vice-versa.

Or have I just wahed myself?

The original question still stands, though. WTF is going on with that dial? Someone just fcuked about with it?

syrup

LE
That was a strange op, wasn't it?

They are conveniently able, years after the material would have actually been worthwhile discovering, to walk into one of the most secure facilities in the UK and swipe the crown jewels of British intelligence, and then do absolutely nothing with the information they discovered.

It couldn't have been that someone was messing with their brains, could it?

Wasn't it for 2 reasons
There was that many names on the list they couldn't shoot everyone as they would have no one left.
It was also the actual names on it including the names of those who nicked it and many senior high up on the Provo Army Council.

Didn't Gerry Adams driver come out shortly after and confess he was a tout and again he was allowed to simply stroll on

Wasn't it for 2 reasons
There was that many names on the list they couldn't shoot everyone as they would have no one left.
It was also the actual names on it including the names of those who nicked it and many senior high up on the Provo Army Council.

Didn't Gerry Adams driver come out shortly after and confess he was a tout and again he was allowed to simply stroll on
Yeah, I think those are the reasons, but the remarkable ease with which the Provos were able to lift the information might lead cynical people to suspect that someone actually wanted them to take it, and that the information might not all have been genuine, but genuine enough to sow severe discord in the ranks.

???

Wall-mount GPO dinosaurs like that just moved the cradle from the top to the back. If you put a wall mount phone on a desk, the handset would not stay on hook. And vice-versa.

Or have I just wahed myself?

The original question still stands, though. WTF is going on with that dial? Someone just fcuked about with it?
And you, a communicator too....

Here is how it looks on the desk:

Phone.jpg

And here is how it will look when I get around to putting it on the wall so I can properly broker discussions on nuclear release between Vlad and Donald:

Phone 2.jpg

RedDinger

Clanker
Yeah, I think those are the reasons, but the remarkable ease with which the Provos were able to lift the information might lead cynical people to suspect that someone actually wanted them to take it, and that the information might not all have been genuine, but genuine enough to sow severe discord in the ranks.
I read that Freddie Scappaticci , high up in the IRA security chain, was also a tout.

RedDinger

Clanker
I think that the easier question to answer toward the end of the campaign was who among the senior Provie leadership wasn't a tout?
Which supports the premise that they were just gangsters protecting their income.

And you, a communicator too....

Here is how it looks on the desk:

View attachment 508278

And here is how it will look when I get around to putting it on the wall so I can properly broker discussions on nuclear release between Vlad and Donald:

View attachment 508279

I was a radio tech, in fairness. We didn't have phones :)

Seriously, every day a school day. The only ones I've ever seen were like this, with the handset at the top:

Does it still work on your line? I was under the impression that BT's 21CN would do away with LD (loop disconnect) dialing and just have DTMF. I emigrated before that happened, and have never had a landline in the US.

I was a radio tech, in fairness. We didn't have phones :)

Seriously, every day a school day. The only ones I've ever seen were like this, with the handset at the top:

Does it still work on your line? I was under the impression that BT's 21CN would do away with LD (loop disconnect) dialing and just have DTMF. I emigrated before that happened, and have never had a landline in the US.

Send settings, Over.

Then dial Clacton on Sea 814558 for further instructions.

Latest Threads