Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NI Photo

Stabwedge

Clanker
Don't make me laugh. Most of the IRA by the mid 80's were squealing like stuck pigs!
:lol: That's true!
They found out how many pigs they had when they were allowed to break into Castlereagh to 'steal' the list of informers. Supposedly. ;)
Too many names to be killed. Apparently......

:lol: That's true!
They found out how many pigs they had when they were allowed to break into Castlereagh to 'steal' the list of informers. Supposedly. ;)
Too many names to be killed. Apparently......
That was a strange op, wasn't it?

They are conveniently able, years after the material would have actually been worthwhile discovering, to walk into one of the most secure facilities in the UK and swipe the crown jewels of British intelligence, and then do absolutely nothing with the information they discovered.

It couldn't have been that someone was messing with their brains, could it?

Stabwedge

Clanker
That was a strange op, wasn't it?

They are conveniently able, years after the material would have actually been worthwhile discovering, to walk into one of the most secure facilities in the UK and swipe the crown jewels of British intelligence, and then do absolutely nothing with the information they discovered.

It couldn't have been that someone was messing with their brains, could it?
Strange one indeed. I remember it happening and thinking it was odd.

I'm pretty sure the bottom one is from a film.

The other publicity shots of the women with the AR 18s were also a 2 fingers to the Security Forces/Service.

George Harrison (not the Beatle) had been running many in from the states via the QE2 but thanks, largely to the FBI tagging a couple and keeping an eye on the Brooklyn *Corsicans who were facilitating the purchase, the RUC seized a decent batch. In fact this plum was dropped into their laps via a senior Security Service Case Officer operating from a desk in the KOSB's admin office at Palace Barracks. This is, however, another story.

The IRA wanted it be known that there were still so many on the streets that even the split-arses were issued them.

It was a great publicity shot for NORAID too - to encourage the collection tins in Boston.

*George De Meo
He was a neighbour of Harrison and readily sourced weapons for the NORAID backed American Republicans. The waters were muddied during the FBI investigation into the gun running operation as De Meo had also been assisting the CIA by supplying weapons to Cuban rebels

I can’t remember where I saw this originally but wasn’t it part of some propaganda shots taken in a “no go“ area in the days before the army tore down the barriers and forced the PIRA back off the streets into hiding?

As for the alleged wording about the Queen etc, I can well imagine squaddies may have had plenty to say but I very much doubt it would have been anything like what was being claimed in the wording attached to the picture.

As for the alleged wording about the Queen etc, I can well imagine squaddies may have had plenty to say but I very much doubt it would have been anything like what was being claimed in the wording attached to the picture.

It looks like it has been google translated from something else to English. The Batallion of The English Soldiers?

It looks like it has been google translated from something else to English. The Batallion of The English Soldiers?
We used to get copies of An Phoblacht in the int cell.....not sure why, 'know your enemy' maybe......but a lot of that was written in that style. Heroic volunteers bravely standing ip to the English. Very strange syntax. Written like an 8 year olds creative writing project.
So the story went, someone in HQNI realised that the British army account for a significant percentage of An Phoblacht's circulation so it stopped and we got the occasional photocopied version.

We used to get copies of An Phoblacht in the int cell.....not sure why, 'know your enemy' maybe......but a lot of that was written in that style. Heroic volunteers bravely standing ip to the English. Very strange syntax. Written like an 8 year olds creative writing project.
So the story went, someone in HQNI realised that the British army account for a significant percentage of An Phoblacht's circulation so it stopped and we got the occasional photocopied version.
Back copies of them were stacked up everywhere in the 123 Int Sect offices at HQ 39 Inf Bde!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I can’t remember where I saw this originally but wasn’t it part of some propaganda shots taken in a “no go“ area in the days before the army tore down the barriers and forced the PIRA back off the streets into hiding?

Why don't you ask your fellow communist mate John McDonnell?

4(T)

LE

More likely it was originally written in Beijing, Pyongyang or St Pete. The web is absolutely rammed with anti-British fake history and memes. Sadly, much of it gains traction with the ill-educated and gullible.

Yet another one with 'not that gun'
1601361397795.png

As others have noted, the OP story is rubbish, but it may be based on another real, but tragic event that occurred in '72. 3 RGJ were back in Belfast with Tac at Springfield Road and Coy locations at Broadway and North Howard Street. 2 Royal Anglians were responsible for the Lower Falls, but the' Jackets' had "shooting rights" into the Anglian area by virtue of the proximity of their NH St OP (this politically incorrect statement is actually published in the RGJ 1972 Regimental Chronicle) During one particularly vicious firefight involving 2 Anglians, an RGJ sniper shot at a figure emerging from a location that was the source of some gunfire. It was later discovered that the figure was a woman who was hiding a rifle under her coat. What was not known at the time was that the gunman, who remained concealed in the building, was none other than Brendan 'Darkie' Hughes, the then OC of D Coy, 2nd Bn PIRA. Hughes later gave an account of the incident in which he stated that he advised the woman to remain concealed until it was safe to move. It remains unclear whether she was the shooter, or merely a courier for the movement of the weapon. My hunch is that she was a courier - and another tragic waste of the life of a young woman.

Last edited:

Endoscope

War Hero
It was Steve from 3 platoon, we tried talking him out if wearing the skirt, but he said it was really comfortable and made him feel good about himself.

I've just noticed there seems to be two different heads in that balaclava as well.
There does appear to be two different faces there for sure. Some dodgy photo work from the An Phoblacht camera team. Was @bigeye ever in Belfast?

It was a great publicity shot for NORAID too - to encourage the collection tins in Boston.

*George De Meo
He was a neighbour of Harrison and readily sourced weapons for the NORAID backed American Republicans. The waters were muddied during the FBI investigation into the gun running operation as De Meo had also been assisting the CIA by supplying weapons to Cuban rebels

Not NORAID. Their collections went to the IRA factional welfare funds. There was another group of fairly well -heeled business types, who figured guns were more of a priority. For the life of me I can't quite recall their name at this time of writing, but I'll update.

Not NORAID. Their collections went to the IRA factional welfare funds. There was another group of fairly well -heeled business types, who figured guns were more of a priority. For the life of me I can't quite recall their name at this time of writing, but I'll update.

Not all the funds raised by shaking tins in Boston, New York and Finchley went towards the welfare of the families of those caught and banged up:

In May 1981, the United States Department of Justice won a court case forcing NORAID to register the Provisional Irish Republican Army as its "foreign principal" under the Foreign Agents Registration Act. In his decision, U.S. District Judge Charles S. Haight, Jr. wrote: "The uncontroverted evidence is that NORAID is an agent of the IRA, providing money and services for other than relief purposes." NORAID lawyers appealed the decision but lost.

Latest Threads