NI, IRA & Brexit

Claiming to be a patriot and causing the breakup of the country are, to my eyes, mutually exclusive. If Brexit had been sold as an english nationalist plot to breakup the UK then fair enough, but I don't remember any of that back in 2016.
Would you rather have an unhappy union of peoples or allow the citizens of a country to exercise their democratic right of self determination?

Would you rather have an unhappy union of peoples or allow the citizens of a country to exercise their democratic right of self determination?
Way to avoid the point there. If Brexit means the breakup of the UK them why does no-one pushing it say so? The rank hypocrisy of people who call those opposing Brexit traitors while simultaneously being prepared to break up the UK is utterly sickening.

Personally, I'd say it's up to the Irish (north and south) as to whether they reunify. But that is quite another question.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Why would the reunification of Ireland be such a problem?

The self determination of those people is more important than maintaining a United Kingdom.

Besides which, we'd finally be rid of the millstone and the miserable wretches who inhabit the sh1thole.

Hundreds of years of Irish republican strategy and struggle blown into the weeds, because of part of the Conservative Party’s hatred of Europe.

I would love to hear a recording of Sinn Féin’s ‘way forward’ meeting.

UKIP. Stuff we’ve accomplished. Divided the country. Destroyed the Conservative Party. Allowed Corbyn to be taken seriously as a party leader. Caused the break up of the United Kingdom and contributed greatly to a United Ireland.

You must be so proud.

Hundreds of years of Irish republican strategy and struggle blown into the weeds, because of part of the Conservative Party’s hatred of Europe.

I would love to hear a recording of Sinn Féin’s ‘way forward’ meeting.

UKIP. Stuff we’ve accomplished. Divided the country. Destroyed the Conservative Party. Allowed Corbyn to be taken seriously as a party leader. Caused the break up of the United Kingdom and contributed greatly to a United Ireland.

You must be so proud.
What does my pride have to do with anything?

Our obligations in Ireland were due to will of the Irish people who democratically wanted to remain part of the UK.

We fought those who wished to subvert that democratic will through violence.

That those republicans now hold partial responsibility for the governance of their country is a good thing.

Dividing the UK and unifying Ireland as a result of Irish self determination is the right thing to do, or do some people wish to see that democracy undermined in pursuit of the status quo?

The question must be repeated, what is so very wrong with a united Ireland, if that's what the majority of the citizens wish?

Way to avoid the point there. If Brexit means the breakup of the UK them why does no-one pushing it say so? The rank hypocrisy of people who call those opposing Brexit traitors while simultaneously being prepared to break up the UK is utterly sickening.

Personally, I'd say it's up to the Irish (north and south) as to whether they reunify. But that is quite another question.
Perhaps BREXIT is a catalyst for the reunification of Ireland, rather than an objective.

I'm sure many would like to see the continued union of states (EU/UK or UK/NI) regardless of the view of the citizens. The State obviously knows better.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Perhaps BREXIT is a catalyst for the reunification of Ireland, rather than an objective.

I'm sure many would like to see the continued union of states (EU/UK or UK/NI) regardless of the view of the citizens. The State obviously knows better.
Maybe we should welcome Eire back in to the UK! ;)

The question must be repeated, what is so very wrong with a united Ireland, if that's what the majority of the citizens wish?
May appear a reasonable concept to most outsiders Dan, however punting such a message around areas such as the Newtonards road or Sandy Row in Belfast would be met (putting it politely) with a less than favourable response.....o_O

Last edited:
Why would the reunification of Ireland be such a problem?

The self determination of those people is more important than maintaining a United Kingdom.

Besides which, we'd finally be rid of the millstone and the miserable wretches who inhabit the sh1thole.
Very pleasing to see someone who values the principle of self-determination.

Claiming to be a patriot and causing the breakup of the country are, to my eyes, mutually exclusive. If Brexit had been sold as an english nationalist plot to breakup the UK then fair enough, but I don't remember any of that back in 2016.
The UK has merit only if the invidual peoples value it above their own independence.

May appear a reasonable concept to most outsiders Dan, however punting such a message around areas such as the Newtonards road or Sandy Row in Belfast would be met (putting it politely) with a less than favourable response.....o_O
It would be hilarious irony though. If Arlene Foster and the DUP did what the IRA and various republicans couldn't do with years of murder,misery and mayhem,and delivered a reunited Ireland. Plus a huge financial parasite of UK PLC.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
quiller The Intelligence Cell 7
S The Intelligence Cell 5
L The Intelligence Cell 71