NI Drops BSkyB Bid

So now hopefully the gloves can come off.

Popcorn anyone?
I think you're overly optimistic and underestimate the lengths government will go to in order to save itself.

They were prepared to let the whole country disappear in a huge nuclear fireball during the cold war, whilst they hid in a bunker and carried on governing.

Rest assured they'll be more than happy to destroy Murdoch.

Murdoch can afford to lose all his UK interests; however, as soon as his creepy employees are found to have hacked just one 9/11 survivor/victim/bereaved relative, the Americans will go epically apeshit, the Spirit of St. Skyscraper's day will be invoked and Murdoch will be toast.

REJOICE!!!

The one true organ of 'truth', the BBC and it's paper edition, the Guardian, can once more reign supreme as the unchallenged national propaganda organ!

Some people will of course praise this, others will realise that the liberal left has enshrined it's vice like grip on public discourse and politics for another 3 generations.

Eine Reich, Eine Volk, Eine BBC!

I think you're overly optimistic and underestimate the lengths government will go to in order to save itself.

They were prepared to let the whole country disappear in a huge nuclear fireball during the cold war, whilst they hid in a bunker and carried on governing.

Rest assured they'll be more than happy to destroy Murdoch.
I probably am being over optimistic,but a man can have his dreams cant he?:)

I just have that feeling that it's NI with it's finger hovering over the big red button,despite all of the apparent set backs that it's suffering from.

I have no evidence for this,as I said it's just a feeling.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
REJOICE!!!

The one true organ of 'truth', the BBC and it's paper edition, the Guardian, can once more reign supreme as the unchallenged national propaganda organ!

Some people will of course praise this, others will realise that the liberal left has enshrined it's vice like grip on public discourse and politics for another 3 generations.

Eine Reich, Eine Volk, Eine BBC!
So the fact that BSkyB will continue to broadcast news (along with CNN and the world and it's dog) on satellite, and that Trinity Group, Associated Newspapers (and NI via the Times/Sunday Times/Sun) etc will continue to publish the printed word has no bearing upon your argument.

Or are you just pissed off that it was the Guardian that brought this to a head, and that the BBC has fulfilled its remit as a public service broadcaster?

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nice one. Governments have wailed, the media ranted, Plod bumbled about and the public have gone postal - all to no avail. But the ARRSE starts 20 threads and you just watch the blood hit the ceiling...

NI Drops BSkyB Bid

I think that needs qualified by "for now"
bit like the scene in the battle of Britain when Herman and all his mates hand back the life
jackets its postponed at least until Murdoch is no longer in power and possibly even f James takes over about as likely for any British goverment to contemplate NI bid for sky as is sovereignty negociations with argentina

The Dirty Digger has a long memory, and will extract revenge on those who crossed him.

Expect some top political names quitting on personal grounds to spend more time with their families. At least that'll be the official line.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
bit like the scene in the battle of Britain when Herman and all his mates hand back the life
jackets its postponed at least until Murdoch is no longer in power and possibly even f James takes over about as likely for any British goverment to contemplate NI bid for sky as is sovereignty negociations with argentina
Care to take a guess how much it would cost to setup a TV station from scratch? Remember L!VE TV back in 1995?

The channel was proposed by David Montgomery as MGN's foray into pay television. At its launch in 1995, the station was headed by Kelvin MacKenzie with Janet Street-Porter as managing director and a team of young "tellybrats". MacKenzie went on to create programmes that received much media coverage but low viewer figures.Considered cheap and always accused of poor taste, the channel never captured more than 1% of the British television audience under MGN, and at its worst was losing around £7 million a year. It was often described as "tabloid television", in part due to its control by MGN and the fact that MacKenzie had been editor of The Sun.

And that was before we had IPTV technology.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
If the putative victims lawyers point out that the "evidence" of their wrongdoings was gathered by unlawful means, then Keith's threats will go for a ball of chalk.

If this plays out in the states, then Keith will be joining his old friend Conrad as a guest of the govt.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
*****NEWSFLASH*****

The Wall Street Journal reports that News Corp is considering the sale of News International.

That's the Sunday Times, The Times, and the Sun all up for grabs, (and, presumably the stake in Sky TV).