NI British Soldier Song - 1970s

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by TangoZeroAlpha, Feb 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Need help - I remember a song written and sung in barracks about the NI troubles in the early 70s - I can only remember some of the lyrics and I want the whole song for a friend, so if anyone knows the words and if anyone knows of any recordings that exist let me know. (I know the tune but can't post it here :!: )

The chores went...
    "Come join the British Army said the posters in his town. See the world and have your fun..."

I'm afraid I can't remember the rest of it...

But another verse goes... "... and others stood and staired but the lonely British soldier wished he was back home again."
    Chorus: "Come join the British Army said the posters in his town. See the world and have your fun..."

Some of the verses mention the Para Sgt(?) who lay on top of a bomb in Springfield Road RUC Station to protect a women and her child (he got the GC I think)

So any help is appreciated.
  2. There was a thread a while ago about something similar. Try here....

Sgt Willets
  3. Harvey Andrews sang it and if you google his name it should take you to his website where you can order it on CD hope this helps mate,it was called "SOLDIER"
  4. WOW oh WOW - You guys are STARS

Flash to bang time of 4 minutes 6 minutes and 7 minutes.

Thanks a lot I'll order it right now!

5. Always glad to help mate. If it's of any use to you, the "Writer Of Songs" album also has "Hey Sandy" on it as well as a number of songs that were very popular by Harvey in those dark days of the 70's.

Used to listen to it on the jukebox in the Choggies at Portadown ;)
  6. Ooooh Harvey won't like that LOL