NI: Army makes safe 600lb border bomb

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fantassin, Sep 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A 600lb bomb has been made safe by an Army bomb disposal team near Forkhill, County Armagh, on the border with the Republic of Ireland.

The device had a command wire running from where it was planted in NI to a firing point across the border.

It is suspected that dissident republicans planted the bomb.

Police said that there could have been a "devastating outcome" to the incident and that the police were the targets of the bombers.
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Good to see S armagh back in the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Targeting plod, I presume these days.

Smuggling must be getting difficult.........
  4. Phew. Thank goodness it wasn't built with Libyan explosives!
  5. The Ballykinler comment was reference the device found in Jan, not this one.
  6. Meanwhile.....

From The Times

September 8, 2009

Last Ulster loyalist paramilitaries vow to decommission weapons

Home Staff

The last remaining armed loyalist paramilitary groups in Northern Ireland have pledged to decommission all their weapons within six months, the Government announced yesterday.

The Ulster Defence Association and its breakaway faction in southeast Antrim have given the commitment to the Independent International Commission on Decommissioning, Shaun Woodward, the Northern Ireland Secretary, said.

The undertaking comes after the Ulster Volunteer Force and Red Hand Commando put all their guns beyond use in June.

At that time both the leadership of the UDA and the southeast Antrim unit said that they had destroyed part of their arsenals, and indicated that they would finish the job at some point.

More at:
  7. Wah!
  8. Twaht! :D
  9. Is there a scale of courage high enough to mark the bravery of the Bomb Disposal people? No, I thought not.

All I can say again, for the nth time, is thanks!
  10. Amazing to see that some Republicans still managed to see this as an excuse to slag off the police. Cnuts!